6 Traditional Things That've Kept The World A Worse Place

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 6 Traditional Things That've Kept The World A Worse Plac

Postby Marcuse » Wed May 18, 2016 6:13 pm

I don't think that marital rape has ever really been a tradition. I'm sure there's some village somewhere in the middle of nowhere where they celebrate the tradition of raping wives, but I'm pretty sure that it's not a tradition anywhere else, especially in the places where it's been banned. I know nitpicking titles is a bit fruitless, but come on, legal complaints =/= criticism of tradition.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed May 18, 2016 6:31 pm

it's not marital rape has been a tradition, per se, but it's more that women were supposed to "submit" to their husbands no matter what.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed May 18, 2016 8:14 pm

What does "Plac" mean?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:What does "Plac" mean?

Plac, obviously.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Marcuse » Wed May 18, 2016 10:46 pm

sunglasses wrote:it's not marital rape has been a tradition, per se, but it's more that women were supposed to "submit" to their husbands no matter what.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure that it's what I call tradition more than it is a matter of enforced power imbalance. Usually traditions have some function in the lives of people it involves, the whale killing tradition for example is based on the principle of getting food from the ocean, and did serve a discernible purpose that did benefit the people who practised it at some point even if today it's a harmful anachronism.

I feel like characterising that attitude as such implies that it served a function in the lives of the people who practised it at some point, and I'm not really prepared to lend that so much credence.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Thu May 19, 2016 12:32 am

Well, there used to be some anti-domestic violence traditions,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_music

I, for one, would like to see that come back.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Askias » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Now was that so bloody difficult?

The German Bundestag yesterday passed a much-needed update on German sexual assault law.
1. Removing the need for active resistance for a rape conviction. In practise this means German prosecutors can stop with the most wide view of 'implied threat' you'll find in the world, but that really shouldn't have to be removed in 2016. Yes, I mentioned the current year, sue me. The need to prove is still on the victim, if anyone's wondering.
2. Allowing prosecution and sentence for up to two years for being part of a group that committed sexual assault, even if no sexual assault can be proven to have been committed by the individual. This brings it in line with vandalism and assault, both of which have similar clauses.
3. Allowing easier and speedier deportation of immigrants committing violent crime.

The law isn't in effect yet, still having to pass the Bundesrat. It's not expected to fail that, but like every European politician the good folks in the Bundesrat don't work during their summer recess, which means they'll hold a vote later on.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Previous