4 Ways You Are Being Aged Out By The Gaming Industry

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 4 Ways You Are Being Aged Out By The Gaming Industry

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon May 09, 2016 3:33 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Marcuse » Mon May 09, 2016 4:03 pm

FaceTheCitizen wrote:
Marcuse wrote:
Toy wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:My favourite video game is comparable to kids' coloured blocks. What's he got against playing with blocks?

Tetris?

Minecraft.

Lego?

Terraria.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue May 10, 2016 12:26 am

CarrieVS wrote: Although I do also kind of like Tetris, I certainly wouldn't call it my favourite and indeed I barely call it a video game.

Nope. I can't let this one slide. I mean you were probably joking, but... Look. Tetris is THE video game. It's a singularly brilliant, elegantly executed diversion that simply doesn't work in any other format. A tabletop version of Tetris is just weird. And there have been card games that sort of attempt to mimic some of the mechanics, but it's just impossible. So many factors play into how Tetris works, from gravity to instant destruction to the randomness of the pieces coming (although I maintain there's somebody in there who keeps giving me those effing Z-blocks when I need a damn line) that out and out require a computer, however basic, keeping track of all the variables in real time. Not to mention, the original game for the 8-bit Nintendo looked good, sounded better, and played effortlessly. The first time I ever watched somebody play Tetris for an extended period of time, it was somebody's mom, and that seems like nothing today when everyone in the world plays some sort of electronic game, but back then it was wild to have grownups enjoy a video game. It's because with a game like Tetris, you can figure out how to play it within a minute, even if you never read the accompanying instruction manual (remember those?).

I agree with you in that Tetris isn't my favorite favorite game of all time. It's sort of like how the Beatles aren't my favorite band. Every other band on my list owes something to the Beatles, but in different ways they all do something just a little bit better and that something appeals to me. But Tetris is my desert island game, bar none. It has enough replayability just from the randomness of the falling blocks and the different strategies involved between the two modes that even if I got super burned out on it, I could set it aside for a couple weeks and come back to it and it would probably feel very comfy again, like my favorite hoodie, or homemade tacos. No matter how expansive a world is that your games occupy, at some point you come to the invisible wall because they're games made up of limited space. To me, personally, Tetris approaches the problem of the infinite universe, so it's definitely high up on my list.

Not a video game! Kids these days.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby iMURDAu » Tue May 10, 2016 1:36 am

Tetris made gaming mainstream. I really don't see how it can be barely considered a game. I mean I can always argue that Minecraft is just playing with blocks and there's no game to be had because there's no goal, objective, or scoring system.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Marcuse » Tue May 10, 2016 8:33 am

So here's an interesting idea I thought of a while back. Gaming really isn't that old in the first place. My first gaming console was a ZX Spectrum that relied on cassette tapes to load a game, and took 30 minutes to do that every time. That's not just in living memory, it's in my living memory and I'm only 29. So I'm a little confused by the assertion the article makes that people just naturally grow out of video games and that this happens all the time. Certainly people change preferences over time and that's normal, but I wouldn't argue that's a function of video games, more than it is inherent to people.

The thing is, in a medium that's so new compared to even film, it's really hard to make generalisations that rely on generations of people adopting and then abandoning gaming, when we're really only just seeing people who were born around the time video games started to become a thing reach 30.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Irishjava » Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Matthew Notch wrote:...(although I maintain there's somebody in there who keeps giving me those effing Z-blocks when I need a damn line)...

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Previous