Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 pm

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2238-why-are-cops-shooting-dogs-5-things-you-should-know.html

It seems even that shrieking SJW that became a meme lately has more spine than cops these days. Really, how the hell are these people able to function, let alone as cops?
  • 2

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby TitleGuy » Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

I see these videos and read articles about these cops that do ridiculous things like shoot cribs or chained up dogs and just shake my head. What part of your training went wrong? The worst I've encountered was a new trainee who shot off a womans nipple because he was startled. We had an incident where deputies beat and OC sprayed a man with downs that resulted in increased training department wide. (as an aside, his family was able to settle with the department for $1 million. It doesn't make it ok, but wanted to give the end to that story with it)

I feel like if something similar were to happen with one of ours, there would be increased training all around for how to properly act around dogs. Or babies.

I guess I just don't understand how some departments function.
  • 22

I'm responsible for everything bad in your life.
User avatar
TitleGuy
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 pm
Show rep
Title: Destroyer of articles

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby sunglasses » Wed May 04, 2016 7:16 pm

shot off a woman's nipple.

That's....damn.

I'm lucky with my local PD. There was a dog running loose barking at everyone and you know what the cops did? Chased it into their car so they could get it off the road. They didn't shoot it or think about shooting it.

I really feel like there is a lack of training and accountability. I'm not talking about when someone is legit in danger here, either. I'm talking about the officers who shoot dogs that are running away from them during no-knocks (full disclosure, I'm completely against no knock warrants and feel they're overused and abused). I mean, this happens so often there's a damn facebook page of dogs, and cats apparently, shot by cops. Note, do NOT go to the facebook page unless you want your soul crushed.

This page is quite useful if you, or someone you know, has had an animal shot by law enforcement.

Just to show the other side, here's a case where aggressive dogs were corralled via non-lethal means.

An Oceanside lieutenant said new dog encounter training helped officers peacefully capture three dogs, one that attacked a man, in an Oceanside park Sunday afternoon.

“It's what contributed to a good resolution in this case,” he said.


Emphasis mine. Training. It's effective.
  • 14

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
User avatar
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 11541
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby DanteHoratio » Sat May 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Because if a dog attacks somebody, it needs to die so it does not kill somebody. That's why cops shoot dogs. Good cops, anyway. Some cops do it because they are afraid of dogs or because they like to shoot stuff.

But good cops do it to protect people.
  • 1

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
User avatar
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:17 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby SandTea » Sun May 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Get a cat



A dog barking should not be grounds for killing him. Ever.
  • 4

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby cmsellers » Sun May 08, 2016 6:42 pm

I kind of wish we could make "attempting to stop the public recording their actions" automatic grounds for dismissal of police officers.

As the article notes, people tend to trust cops for some reason. I don't know why we assume that just because they're supposed to uphold that law cops are any more honest than any other profession. I suspect that if anything, it's the opposite, because cops tend to be "end justifies the means" people who think it's OK to lie to ensure guilty people get theirs, and it also tends to attract authoritarian personalities. (I suspect I would be removed from the jury of any criminal trial I was called to for this belief, while my fellow jurors who don't even know they have a strongly pro-cop bias would end up seated.)

And given the power they have, they should absolutely be held accountable. Body cams should be mandatory, but they need to be able to be switched off on request to protect--for example--domestic violence victims, and this leads to a loophole you could ride a camel through. So our next best defense is recording, and police offices should never be allowed to interfere with this. It's appalling how many do, and how often their departments back them up.
  • 10

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8903
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby Grimstone » Mon May 09, 2016 7:35 am

Almost any time I hear about police abusing their power I find the popular opinion to be that a cop's use of force is justified no matter how minor the reason. Cop body slams a teenage girl because she refuses to leave the classroom? "she's a trouble maker", "she deserved it", or my favorite response to these kinds of situations "if you do what you're told you won't get hurt" etc. How these people are able to actually believe such things I will probably never understand but it does bother me that so many people seem to think the police should be feared and demand strict obedience.
  • 14

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
User avatar
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am
Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Grimstone is in here questioning authority!

Cops can shoot whatever they want. If you knew that the odds of you facing any consequences for shooting someone or something were close to zero compared to the "civilian" (love when cops use that term like they're the military when clearly they are not) population then why not be trigger happy? It just means you're a hero saving the day.
  • 6

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6572
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby Rageaholic432 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Grimstone wrote:Almost any time I hear about police abusing their power I find the popular opinion to be that a cop's use of force is justified no matter how minor the reason. Cop body slams a teenage girl because she refuses to leave the classroom? "she's a trouble maker", "she deserved it", or my favorite response to these kinds of situations "if you do what you're told you won't get hurt" etc. How these people are able to actually believe such things I will probably never understand but it does bother me that so many people seem to think the police should be feared and demand strict obedience.


And then there's "he/she was resisting arrested", sometimes followed by the cliched, assumption that anyone who criticizes cops must be some anarchist.
  • 5

Rageaholic432
Commenter
Commenter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:09 am
Show rep

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby SandTea » Mon May 16, 2016 6:11 pm

This came up in a conversation yesterday. I did the normal "bullshit until they agree" dance but I might have made an actual point. We should lower the requirements for becoming a cop and hire locals. Sure, we get the gomer piles and, well, everyone from reno 911 but it might at least make them more invested in the community, which would include their neighbors dog.
  • 3

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby Grimstone » Mon May 16, 2016 6:28 pm

SandTea wrote:This came up in a conversation yesterday. I did the normal "bullshit until they agree" dance but I might have made an actual point. We should lower the requirements for becoming a cop and hire locals. Sure, we get the gomer piles and, well, everyone from reno 911 but it might at least make them more invested in the community, which would include their neighbors dog.


I thought all you needed was a GED/HS diploma. Actually, I'm not even sure you need that to be a cop in my town, which is a very small town btw where everybody knows everybody and the cops here are still crooked. Last time I got pulled over down here they brought out the "drug dog" and when they still couldn't find anything told me they needed to put the dog inside of my car and that he "might tear up the seats" or else I would get my car impounded... And after I refused to let them put the dog in there they pointed to some crumbled up dried leaves in the floor board and tried to tell me it was marijuana.
  • 6

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
User avatar
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am
Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby SandTea » Mon May 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Well that's a bummer. I probably should've said something like inoculation. If you're inoculated to being afraid of black people/meth fueled insanity/homeless people who don't like cops, you can recognize that feeling and remember to not 'just shoot em'. We want our cops knowing what the hell they're doing, not pointing to pine needles and screaming weed. I was thinking like ex-criminals should be allowed to apply. "you can't con a conman". The corruption is most likely a "for profit" problem. That shit is intentional and targeted towards people who can't get high priced lawyers and cause a fuss.
  • 3

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby Twistappel » Tue May 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Grimstone wrote:Almost any time I hear about police abusing their power I find the popular opinion to be that a cop's use of force is justified no matter how minor the reason. Cop body slams a teenage girl because she refuses to leave the classroom? "she's a trouble maker", "she deserved it", or my favorite response to these kinds of situations "if you do what you're told you won't get hurt" etc. How these people are able to actually believe such things I will probably never understand but it does bother me that so many people seem to think the police should be feared and demand strict obedience.

This was a thing that happened in my town a few weeks ago:


Basically, a man is being chased by the cops, stops and lays down on the ground apparently to surrender. While he's lying there, the cop lays into him with a nightstick, then kicks him. Which as far as I can gather, is how we tell people to put their hands down and turn over, around here.

The worst part about it was that the local news service was interviewing people and they were like "Nah, that seems reasonable". I know that Memphis is a (really) rough town, but seriously.
  • 6

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 17, 2016 5:13 pm

You don't understand! He did something bad! Bad!
  • 2

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12448
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Why Cops Keep Shooting Dogs

Postby Twistappel » Tue May 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:You don't understand! He did something bad! Bad!

Yeah, I keep forgetting: The rule of law and presumption of innocence only apply to people who turn out to be innocent. And live in the "nice" part of town.
  • 1

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest