6 Horrifying Realities of Dealing With Sandy Hook Truthers

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 6 Horrifying Realities of Dealing With Sandy Hook Truthe

Postby mancityfooty » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:06 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:And if all else fails, just shout "They're coming for you!" at them without any context.

No, you lean in real close.
Then you whisper in their ear two little words:
"They know."

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:47 am

People who believe in conspiracy theories are a diverse bunch, and a lot of the rank and file are more or less psychologically normal. You see the occasional unstable true believer who's chronically prone to conspiratorial thinking, and that's the tip of the iceberg. The rest of the iceberg is just people who saw something like Loose Change or heard a plausible-sounding argument from a friend, went "huh, makes sense", and then never looked up information debunking what they saw or heard, just information confirming it. Like Sunny's friend most likely.

The folks who start stockpiling guns and fashioning tinfoil hats because the NWO is out to get them often do require professional help to get over their issues, and rationally debating their views may not be possible until that happens. However, a lot of the people who believe in such conspiracy theories are people you probably wouldn't suspect, people who aren't any more dysfunctional than the next person but have only heard one side of the story in any detail. Those people are definitely reachable.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:49 pm

I was looking for information on conspiracy theories and it's interesting how selective people are on what to believe.

For example, 51% of Americans (surveyed) believe JFK was killed by the government. 29% believe in a cover-up at Roswell. Those are decades old conspiracies and they seem to be inclusive.

But, start separating by ideology, and it gets interesting. Global Warming is real? - 58% of Republicans disagree, and 77% of Democrats agree.

It seems like some of these theories, like Bush being the one behind 9/11, have more of an acceptable status because of their association with celebrities and documentaries and such.

But 28% of people surveyed believe there are forces working to shape the world into adopting a one-world government/NWO scenario.

So then, if you ask these people who believe the notion that the government covertly attacked its own people and property under the guise of a terroristic threat, then the government surely could stage a mass shooting to enact more restrictive gun control measures. Shouldn't those people also be somewhat agreeable to this notion?

Why does 9/11 get a pass but this doesn't?

Rephrasing the question for the hip youngsters here, why are there so many dank memes about 9/11 but not of Sandy Hook?

(And no, before you jump at me, I'm not condoning this bullshit scenario nor implying it's remotely acceptable)

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:41 am

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:]
Rephrasing the question for the hip youngsters here, why are there so many dank memes about 9/11 but not of Sandy Hook?

(And no, before you jump at me, I'm not condoning this bullshit scenario nor implying it's remotely acceptable)

I've seen some Sandy Hook memes, but they are far too dank to be shared/thumbed often. You may find them in Imgur's Usersub in the wee hours of the morning, but I don't think any have made the Front Page. I'm not sure if it's any different on Reddit or 4Chan.

A more serious answer would be my guess that it has to do with the fact that we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan after 9/11, while Sandy Hook fueled the fires of contention over gun control for a while. Also, there is the fact that 9/11 (regardless of the conspiracy theories) killed adults in airplanes, towers, and the center of the nation's defense command with big airplanes and/or explosions, whereas Sandy Hook saw a bunch of children get shot at close range. I guess I could understand thinking of 9/11 as an act of war, and Sandy Hook as an act of horrific depravity.

In short, war can be memed, horrific depravity is more difficult to meme (but not impossible, my rare Pepes!).

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby SandTea » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:15 am

911, columbine, elliot rodger all had very memorable living videos that could be mined. That might be the difference?

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby BinaryStep » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:07 am

My dad's a Sandy Hook truther. He actually believes that the people who died were "crisis actors" hired by the Iran government to take away our guns and make us vulnerable to another 9/11.

Did You Know?
Getting shot can increase your
BULLET RESISTANCE
BinaryStep
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: White Lightning

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:55 am

BinaryStep wrote:My dad's a Sandy Hook truther. He actually believes that the people who died were "crisis actors" hired by the Iran government to take away our guns and make us vulnerable to another 9/11.

Hired...for money? To get killed?

"Don't you see what's happening?! The British are just using you--you're going to die!"

"Yes...but we will be rich."

EDIT: Beyond that, I think 9/11 conspiracies got more cultural traction at least in part because of the political consequences of that event. 9/11 led to big new wars in the Middle East, loosening protections against war crimes like torture, and sweeping restriction of civil rights at home. People who vigorously opposed those changes were left looking for an explanation for their crushing rout, and many of those people settled on comforting "we only lost because the other guys cheated" explanations based on conspiracy theories about 9/11 and the Bush administration. Birther conspiracies got added traction for the same reason--many frustrated conservatives reeling from the 2008 election swelled the ranks of believers and, more importantly, gave them somewhat more mainstream cultural influence.

Last edited by Crimson847 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Revolving Royal » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:12 am

BinaryStep wrote:My dad's a Sandy Hook truther.

I'm so sorry.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby TitleGuy » Sun May 01, 2016 3:40 am

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:I missed the Kiki shitstorm in the comments.

It must have been serious because it made Fry hate Americans even more than he usually does.

The comment that got their account closed was something like "That $95,000 paycheck probably helped his heart heal" about how hard it must be to not only lose your child to such a horrible act of violence, but then to have people tell you he never existed, you are a liar, and threaten to kill you.

It was a cruel comment posted for no reason other than to say something mean to a stranger on the internet. It also wasn't their only comment like that left under the article.

I'm responsible for everything bad in your life.
TitleGuy
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep
Title: Destroyer of articles

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun May 01, 2016 4:22 am

HOLY SHIT TITLE GUY IS REAL!

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun May 01, 2016 5:17 pm

TitleGuy wrote:
BROWNRECLUSE wrote:I missed the Kiki shitstorm in the comments.

It must have been serious because it made Fry hate Americans even more than he usually does.

The comment that got their account closed was something like "That $95,000 paycheck probably helped his heart heal" about how hard it must be to not only lose your child to such a horrible act of violence, but then to have people tell you he never existed, you are a liar, and threaten to kill you.

It was a cruel comment posted for no reason other than to say something mean to a stranger on the internet. It also wasn't their only comment like that left under the article.

Ugh. I know it's the Internet and the anonymity makes it easier to be hateful or whatever, but I'll still never get that. I mean people can't all be that malicious in the deep down, right? So what is it about the Internet that draws these human wastelands?

Anyway I'd say good call shutting that one down.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Previous