4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby gisambards » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:26 am

Given that it's been raised, I do think that the section on Clinton's looks being brought up was the only bit of this article that got close to making sense. Even though it's untrue to suggest male politicians are never judged on their fashion sense or looks, I think female politicians do face far more scrutiny in that regard. I'm sure you could find at least one article talking about a given male politican's fashion sense, but you'd find many more for a female politician.

Also, one thing I see raised - often by rather extreme feminists, but even so it's something I don't think they're wrong about - is: when people talk positively about how guys like Bernie Sanders or Jeremy Corbyn have quite disheveled appearances, as it shows how genuine they are or something, you just know there is no way a female politician would be afforded that same privilege. I honestly do not think a female politician could get away with putting as little care into her hair as Bernie Sanders does, or as little effort into picking clothes as Corbyn.
Although thinking about that, it might be an age thing: would people see a young man with their fashion senses in a positive light? Equally, I wonder if they'd let an old woman get away with it.
So it's probably a double standard of sorts, but it might be ageism rather than sexism. But the one Clay raised - the one about female politicians being judged more harshly on their appearance - is I think still a sexist double standard, albeit not as totally one-sided as he made out.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:53 am

The other issue is that even talking about a female candidate's appearance causes people in studies to rate her competence lower, regardless of whether the comment was positive or negative. It seems to unconsciously shift people into a different mindset. The same effect has not been found for male candidates IIRC.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:36 am

Crimson847 wrote:The other issue is that even talking about a female candidate's appearance causes people in studies to rate her competence lower, regardless of whether the comment was positive or negative. It seems to unconsciously shift people into a different mindset. The same effect has not been found for male candidates IIRC.

I've seen that study and I agree with it's outcomes, but I've always wanted to see that followed up with something more in depth cause I'd think it'd be interesting. How much does a woman's appearance affect my judgment if I agree with her politically vs. I don't agree with her politically. Tina Fey is tasked with doing impressions of Sarah Palin because they look exactly alike. I've noticed the same people who compare Palin to the dumb bimbo cheerleader will turn around and have nothing but positive things to say about Tina Fey. Meanwhile, Breitbart.com has probably used the word cankles eleventy billion times in the time it's taken me to post this one comment, which is the penance their writers must endure every time someone besmirches the name of Margaret Thatcher.

I'd also like to compare how men scored women vs. how women scored women, because in my personal experience, the people most judgmental about a woman's appearance are other women. Magazines like Style, Vogue, Esquire, and People have a mostly female audience and is where most of these types of articles come from.

gisambards wrote:Also, one thing I see raised - often by rather extreme feminists, but even so it's something I don't think they're wrong about - is: when people talk positively about how guys like Bernie Sanders or Jeremy Corbyn have quite disheveled appearances, as it shows how genuine they are or something, you just know there is no way a female politician would be afforded that same privilege. I honestly do not think a female politician could get away with putting as little care into her hair as Bernie Sanders does, or as little effort into picking clothes as Corbyn.
Although thinking about that, it might be an age thing: would people see a young man with their fashion senses in a positive light? Equally, I wonder if they'd let an old woman get away with it.
So it's probably a double standard of sorts, but it might be ageism rather than sexism. But the one Clay raised - the one about female politicians being judged more harshly on their appearance - is I think still a sexist double standard, albeit not as totally one-sided as he made out.

You have a point about age being a factor. If Bernie Sanders were in his 20s, he'd come off as some idealistic pot-smoking hippie with no knowledge of how the world works. As an old man, you can't deny that he has experience. He knows exactly how the system works and has been fighting it for decades. No woman at any age could pull off that disheveled appearance though. As young woman, you'd be that girl in dreadlocks and a Bob Marley t-shirt, and as an older woman, you'd look like crazy cat lady. Women in politics have to pull off a delicate balance. They can't be ugly, cause then they look like a nagging shrew, but they can't be too attractive, cause then they look like someone that slept their way to the top. So you have to fall somewhere in between those two extremes. Case in point. Everyone that says they would love to see a woman become President, but don't want it to be Hillary Clinton, have chosen Elizabeth Warren almost unanimously. This is what she looks like:

She is neither attractive nor unattractive, but she has qualities that I look for in a woman. She's also well dressed. She looks warm and genuine when she smiles. She has a great sense of humor, in spite of the challenges she faces. Everything about her is endearing. She's just always there looking out for me, worrying about me, nurturing me, and I love her for it. I wish Mom-I mean Elizabeth Warren were running for President.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:55 pm

There is a double standard, though. You see it all the time in our tv shows, and movies and games. In a movie or TV show, if a man rapes a woman then he will likely be punished or killed. If a woman rapes a man, then it is a comedy. If they tried to have a man rape a woman in a comedy, people will be enraged and fuss and stuff.

Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male

Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male

Men Are the Expendable Gender

Those are very real tropes that happen in real life. In many games, your character can not kill women or children, only men can be killed in the game. Like Zoo Tycoon. The carnivores will only attack and kill men, they never go after the women or children in the game.

Men are considered expendable.

How a man dies in a movie is different then how a woman dies in a movie. It is treated as a bigger deal when a woman dies then when a man dies.

Aquila89 wrote:First of all? Where is the rest? I don't think what Schumer describes can be called rape. As she told it, she was completely passive in the whole time. The guy called her up, she went, she saw that he's completely wasted but stayed, so he threw her on the bed, went down on her and penetrated her while she just laid there. I don't think letting a drunk man have sex with you is raping him. It's not right, but rape isn't the right word for it.

That is rape. though. The man was not able to give consent due to his drunk mind, thus Schumer raped him. It's like how it is rape when a man has sex with a drunk woman. She is not able to give consent due to her drunk mind.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby SandTea » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:33 pm

*sith lord voice*
The MRA is strong in you.

I'm just fucking witcha lol. sure all those point are agreeable but we do have examples of "men raping women being comedy" in films. Like all the 80's movie articles about unwilling/unknowing girls getting the D. oh that brings to mind a semi decent college humor skit

I think we should just accept we are all horrible to each other.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:12 am

DanteHoratio wrote:That is rape. though. The man was not able to give consent due to his drunk mind, thus Schumer raped him. It's like how it is rape when a man has sex with a drunk woman. She is not able to give consent due to her drunk mind.

We've been over this. I've thoroughly explained my position in this thread. If you don't agree, that's fine, but I'm not going to do it again.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:41 am

Aquila89 wrote:
DanteHoratio wrote:That is rape. though. The man was not able to give consent due to his drunk mind, thus Schumer raped him. It's like how it is rape when a man has sex with a drunk woman. She is not able to give consent due to her drunk mind.

We've been over this. I've thoroughly explained my position in this thread. If you don't agree, that's fine, but I'm not going to do it again.

To be fair, I made that post before reading the whole thread, which I should have.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Personally I've always found reading an entire thread only hinders my ability to retain the creativity within my initial posts. I say just go with your gut and burst forth unto the digital canvas, and let the plebs rearange themselves to suit you!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:40 pm

That sounds pretty rapey, Logan

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby DanteHoratio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:22 am

SandTea wrote:*sith lord voice*
The MRA is strong in you.

I'm just fucking witcha lol. sure all those point are agreeable but we do have examples of "men raping women being comedy" in films. Like all the 80's movie articles about unwilling/unknowing girls getting the D. oh that brings to mind a semi decent college humor skit
*snip*

I think we should just accept we are all horrible to each other.

Yes, that is true, there are films who play Male on Female rape and abuse as comedy.

Last edited by Dr. Ambiguous on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed video

DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:43 am

Matthew Notch wrote:That sounds pretty rapey, Logan

HEY! They may not be the ways of old, BUT THEY GET RESULTS!!!!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby octoberpumpkin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:43 pm

So uh this is a bit late and probably out of place at this point but it shows the Horrible Bosses movie (I think is what it's called?) and I personally got super uncomfortable at how they were laughing at their friend who was being sexually harassed by his boss because she was hot. It's not funny >:[

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Previous