4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Piter Lauchy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:10 am

Okay, so this article confused the shit out of me. I didn't get the point at all and judging from the comments, I'm not the only one.
Felix Clay is usually my favourite Cracked author, so when I reluctantly clicked on that article and then saw that it was by him, I was really happy. Then I made the mistake of reading it.
He seems to make a point of how certain double standards that disadvantage men don't really exist after all or something? Anyone care to guess?

Please go back to 5 Common Household Items That Feel Surprisingly Comfortable In Your Butt, Felix.
  • 22

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
User avatar
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:33 am
Location: Bier und Wurst
Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Twistappel » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:20 am

Think I see what he what he was trying to get at, but it seems like the editorial team really dropped the ball on this one. The introduction is worded in such a way as to imply that he is calling the existence of the double standards into question (I think he really means that the fact that we have these double standards is bullshit), and there doesn't seem to be any real consistency in the listicle headings. The result is that the article seems to ramble without any real point.

It is made all the more confusing by the fact that he starts out talking about "double standards", but then goes on to discuss specific incidents.

I'm inclined to wonder whether he started writing the article with one thing in mind, but then tried to hastily repurpose it.
  • 10

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:43 am

So, looking at this poster, you have a sort of MRA view of flipping the script on sexual harassment. I'm not going to shit on MRAs the way so many other people do. I get it. I get frustrated sometimes. I used to have this pair of dress pants, and they were the only ones I had because I never had a lot of reasons to wear them when I was younger. One day, I needed to wear them again, and I had grown about a foot since the last time I wore them and gained maybe 50 lbs or more, and I just couldn't get the damn pants on because they have that stupid hook latch thing instead of a button -- you know, the way dress pants do? You have to pull it way far over to get it to hook, and after struggling for a solid 20 minutes, I got them done up, but then, with a sound like a tiny gunshot, the little latch thing tore right off and flew across the room as my pants fell down. I was enraged. So I get being angry about stupid shit that no one else cares about.


understand.jpg
understand.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 3680 times

I've been waiting for so long for an excuse to use this image. I was saving it for something appropriately confusing.

If Cracked wants to be into women's rights maybe they should spend less time trolling the men's rights crowd and more time talking about women's rights?

Or, this may be a radical idea, but maybe they interview some women who aren't hookers or something.

Pretty much any feminist you ask will say stalking is serious no matter what the gender of the stalker is. So what the fuck is the point here?

I watched all the videos people had made and heard what comedians like Kathleen Madigan and Tammy Pescatelli said, and yep, there are some similarities. But I think the fact Amy Schumer is sitting on top of a comedy empire right now is actually her own best defense. Would Seinfeld have stolen a 20-year-old one-liner? Would Richard Pryor or George Carlin? I don't think so. Why would they? That's idiotic. And it's equally idiotic to say Amy Schumer would.


Uh... what? I hope Felix doesn't become a lawyer, because this actually isn't a good defense at all.

But while reading about this topic, I ran afoul of something even more insane about Amy Schumer. It all traced back to a 2014 story about a speech she gave. It's pretty moving and insightful and it contains, in small part, the story of an awkward, disappointing sexual encounter with a drunk guy. A Thought Catalog article focused on his encounter, and it called a rape.

To read just the Thought Catalog piece, you might almost agree. The man is so drunk that he's fumbling and stupid. He can barely get hard. It's like he doesn't know what's going on. My God, Amy Schumer is a sex devil! But read the actual words Schumer spoke, and it actually reads closer to her being the one sexually assaulted. The only difference is that because she was hopeful for the encounter -- because she wanted it to be good, to be that fairy tale romantic moment -- she allowed it to continue. She didn't rape the man; she let a drunken bum get off on her while she effectively rubbed a lamp and hoped for a romance genie to appear. But it never did.


Wow, this got dark fast. Cracked is defending rape now. Fuck you Cracked, not even joking.

First of all this speech isn't inspirational. A charitable interpretation would be a speech about how she had sex with some guy. So fucking what? A lot of people have sex, it's not inspiring or even interesting.

The only wetness between my legs is from his drool, because he's now sleeping and snoring into me. I sigh, I hear my own heartbreak, I fight back my own tears, and then I notice a change in the music. Is this just a bagpipe solo? I shake him awake. "Matt, what is this? The Braveheart soundtrack? Can you put something else on, please?" He wakes up grumpily, falls to the floor, and crawls. I look at his exposed butt crack, a dark, unkempt abyss that I was falling into. I felt paralyzed. His asshole is a canyon, and this was my 127 Hours. I might chew my arm off.


Wow I feel so moved right now, thanks Amy Schumer for gracing us with your insight.
  • 20

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9649
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:50 am

I guess this is what happens when you've drunk too much of a spirit with a high abv and are reading the guardian before remembering you have an article to write.
  • 5

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12440
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:51 am

A Cracked writer has published an article on sexism / gender dynamics that's turned out confusing, pointless, and pretty sexist in and of itself.

In other news, scientists have determined that the sky is blue and water is wet. What does this mean for you? More at 11.
  • 19

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! The Sinking City (2019)
User avatar
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Newfoungengzealaustrermany
Show rep
Title: Prick With A Pen

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Twistappel » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:56 am

I'm with Piter: I miss the old " Felix Clay does something awkward and humiliating so that you don't have to" articles.
  • 15

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
User avatar
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2640
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Colorado
Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:01 am

Did Felix ever actually DO anything weird, only only SORT OF do it? His articles seem like "I talked to a hooker one time but didn't want to have sex with her."
  • 12

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9649
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:31 am

He ate penis noodles and attended an orgy once.
  • 12

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12440
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Paradox » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Piter Lauchy wrote:5 Common Household Items That Feel Surprisingly Comfortable In Your Butt, Felix.

I'd read the hell out of this.

In other news, go back to Tumblr, FC.
  • 14

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
User avatar
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Dunbar, WV
Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Marcuse » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:25 pm

I don't really want to get into the Amy Schumer thing except to say that if you're having sex with someone who's blackout drunk, they can't give valid consent to that.

The Adele song is absolutely about harassment. Let's look at some things we can gather from the song:

1. Adele's character had a relationship with the guy she's calling
2. That relationship ended with her betraying him.
3. Years later, she's calling to apologise.
4. She's called a lot, and her calls are never answered.
5. She keeps calling despite this.
6. She starts ending with passive aggressive messages like "I guess it doesn't tear you apart any more."

How does that not seem like harassment? I get it's a hypothetical situation, and it's not necessarily bad in itself because it's fictional and I don't think we would get so exercised about literature that relied on this as a story-telling tool. The issue I have is how this song has been publicised as just another love story when it's clearly not meant to be that, and it seems like the author of the song intended it to be something else as well.

To be clear, I've heard this song a lot on the radio and I'd already determined it's kind of a harassment song before reading this article, so it's not like it's some obscure interpretation that people would never arrive at without prompting.

Overall, the article falls really flat, because it's indistinct in what it's trying to do. Is it intended to expose gender double standards? Is it sarcastically saying there aren't any and society exists in a weird universe where women are never ever advantaged in anything ever compared to men? Is it trying to debunk specific instances where you might think there's a double standard but really there isn't one? The way this is written makes it hard to discern what the point of it is, and I think it really suffers most from that purely because it's bad writing that can't convey its message adequately.
  • 16

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6589
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:17 pm

The horribly irony of the Amy Schumer thing is, the entire point of Amy Schumer's persona is to prove that women enjoy sex as much as men. Felix is a fan of hers, yet this lesson has completely escaped his brain.

Felix says Schumer wanted a "fairy tale romantic moment." If you read what Schumer actually said, she said absolutely nothing about fairy tales or romance. I've seen a decent amount of her comedy and she never talks about romance in my recollection. Instead, she was talking about SEX. She wanted the sexual attention of a tall, older man to validate her self esteem.

The fact that Felix projected fairy tale romance onto this scenario betrays his prejudices. He's thinking of Schumer as some stereotype of what a woman is, and not seeing her for what she is really like. He probably thinks women in general are motivated by a desire for fairy tale romance and are incapable of experiencing pure lust, and so he probably beliefs women aren't capable of the act of rape.

This is the only mention of the word fairy, and in this context it has fuck all to do with romance.

I felt the fan on my skin and I went, "Oh, wait! I am this girl! We got to get me out of here!" I became my own fairy godmother. I waited until the last perfect note floated out, and escaped from under him and out the door. I never heard from Matt again, but felt only grateful for being introduced to my new self, a girl who got her value from within her. I'm also grateful to Matt for introducing me to my love Sam Cooke, who I'm still with today.
  • 17

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9649
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby NotCIAAgent » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:37 pm

This is what happens when Wong pressures you at writing an feminist article "because it is 2016" at gun point.

The gun is low energy and the bullets are made of naturally degrading materials, of course.
  • 14

Image
User avatar
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 am
Location: 90's, Canada Wilderness
Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Wow, this got dark fast. Cracked is defending rape now. Fuck you Cracked, not even joking.
First of all this speech isn't inspirational. A charitable interpretation would be a speech about how she had sex with some guy. So fucking what? A lot of people have sex, it's not inspiring or even interesting.

The only wetness between my legs is from his drool, because he's now sleeping and snoring into me. I sigh, I hear my own heartbreak, I fight back my own tears, and then I notice a change in the music. Is this just a bagpipe solo? I shake him awake. "Matt, what is this? The Braveheart soundtrack? Can you put something else on, please?" He wakes up grumpily, falls to the floor, and crawls. I look at his exposed butt crack, a dark, unkempt abyss that I was falling into. I felt paralyzed. His asshole is a canyon, and this was my 127 Hours. I might chew my arm off.


Wow I feel so moved right now, thanks Amy Schumer for gracing us with your insight.


First of all? Where is the rest? I don't think what Schumer describes can be called rape. As she told it, she was completely passive in the whole time. The guy called her up, she went, she saw that he's completely wasted but stayed, so he threw her on the bed, went down on her and penetrated her while she just laid there. I don't think letting a drunk man have sex with you is raping him. It's not right, but rape isn't the right word for it.
  • 3

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3441
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby SandTea » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Aquila89 wrote:First of all? Where is the rest? I don't think what Schumer describes can be called rape. As she told it, she was completely passive in the whole time. The guy called her up, she went, she saw that he's completely wasted but stayed, so he threw her on the bed, went down on her and penetrated her while she just laid there. I don't think letting a drunk man have sex with you is raping him. It's not right, but rape isn't the right word for it.


I think the point being made is if I let a super drunk chick ride me someone would call it rape. It's another one of those "you wanna call out double standards? Fine, here's an example of one of ours" thing.

Everybody's so binary about stuff and I think it's a side effect of not really talking in person. Even re-reading this I can tell I could be misunderstood to be on one side or the other when in reality most people are usually somewhere in between. People got to remember being for one thing doesn't exclude you from being for other things.
  • 9

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: 4 Gender Double Standards Everyone's Apparently OK With

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:Wow, this got dark fast. Cracked is defending rape now. Fuck you Cracked, not even joking.
First of all this speech isn't inspirational. A charitable interpretation would be a speech about how she had sex with some guy. So fucking what? A lot of people have sex, it's not inspiring or even interesting.

The only wetness between my legs is from his drool, because he's now sleeping and snoring into me. I sigh, I hear my own heartbreak, I fight back my own tears, and then I notice a change in the music. Is this just a bagpipe solo? I shake him awake. "Matt, what is this? The Braveheart soundtrack? Can you put something else on, please?" He wakes up grumpily, falls to the floor, and crawls. I look at his exposed butt crack, a dark, unkempt abyss that I was falling into. I felt paralyzed. His asshole is a canyon, and this was my 127 Hours. I might chew my arm off.


Wow I feel so moved right now, thanks Amy Schumer for gracing us with your insight.


First of all? Where is the rest? I don't think what Schumer describes can be called rape. As she told it, she was completely passive in the whole time. The guy called her up, she went, she saw that he's completely wasted but stayed, so he threw her on the bed, went down on her and penetrated her while she just laid there. I don't think letting a drunk man have sex with you is raping him. It's not right, but rape isn't the right word for it.

Okay? Then what would you call it? He was too drunk to give consent, she was sober. What is sex without consent again?
  • 13

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9649
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest