8 Massive Disasters In Marketing No One Noticed

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

8 Massive Disasters In Marketing No One Noticed

Postby ToixStory » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Full article here: http://www.cracked.com/article_23664_8- ... oting.html

I gotta say, guys, I mostly just lurk on this site nowadays, but this one...this one really got to me. Not because of the article itself (though I swear like half the entries had been on other articles, particularly the ones about crazy things that happened last week) which was fine, but the comments.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed the comments have gotten just...nastier lately? Like, we used to have WWII articles all the time back in the older days of Cracked and the discussions were usually pretty funny, informative, and on point. Now, mention the Nazis and the Nazi apologists come spilling out. Calling Jews retards for not getting over the Holocaust in particular kind of stuck with me.

Sorry for the little rant, anyway, just seemed to particularly stick out to me. At least ThatIndianGuy's comment on the Swatstika was informative and funny like the old comments used to be, and the article itself wasn't bad. Though, like I said, it seemed like the two main "draws" of the article--the Budweiser and Amazon debacles--had been featured before. Though I admit I never knew about naming children's furniture Lolita...ye gods. :shock:

I make maps and map accessories.
ToixStory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Re: 8 Massive Disasters In Marketing No One Noticed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 pm

I was going to comment but I failed to notice.

Hardee har har har. I kill myself!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Pretty much sums up why I've become disaffected with Cracked: The articles and the comments have both gotten lazy, deliberately inflammatory and downright nasty.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby ToixStory » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Sister Morphine wrote:Pretty much sums up why I've become disaffected with Cracked: The articles and the comments have both gotten lazy, deliberately inflammatory and downright nasty.

I guess Cracked's position of making deliberately inflammatory articles to rile up viewers has finally borne fruit in driving out pretty much everything good that existed in the comments section and replaced it with something more resembling Youtube or Yahoo's comment section. At least we have this site, but it's sad, really.

I make maps and map accessories.
ToixStory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:54 pm

"Mwahahaha, my plan has come to fruitition. Now to destroy the comment section."
Is what I'd say if I was, you know, David Wong or Jason What'sHisName, you know.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:14 am

The Man in the High Castle reminded me of the time I was reading Fatherland--another alternate history where the Nazis win--during lunch at school. I dropped it, and it skittered across the floor, to shocked gasps of "There's a swastika on that book."

It occurs to me that this is another story I should have shared in the "Awkward Offline" thread.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Knicholas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:01 am

cmsellers wrote:The Man in the High Castle reminded me of the time I was reading Fatherland--another alternate history where the Nazis win--during lunch at school. I dropped it, and it skittered across the floor, to shocked gasps of "There's a swastika on that book."

It occurs to me that this is another story I should have shared in the "Awkward Offline" thread.

Yeah, I have Ian Kershaw's Hitler Biography. I used to hide it when the Trouble and Strife's Grandfather came to visit. He is German, and was in the Kriegsmarine on a minesweeper in the Baltic as a teenager. Leaving it visible might be awkward.

Knicholas
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep