5 Massive Problems We'd Face Living On Another Planet

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Massive Problems We'd Face Living On Another Planet

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:10 am

So in principle this article this article seemed neat, but 3 1/2 of these are things that have already been discussed extensively in both fiction and non-fiction related to space travel. The only new ones to me are the tides and how non-human animals would react to living on other planets. The latter is interesting, but not for the reason the article mentioned.

I imagine that by the time we colonize other planets, we'll be able to solve the food problem by growing meat in a vat; after all, we started making vat meat after we started space exploration, and we're already making significant progress on the former but not the latter.

The thing that worries me is that this may make things difficult for companion animals, particularly the feathered companion animal I prefer. I'm sure that human nature being what it is, we'll bring cats, dogs, rabbits, and rodents into space and selectively breed them until they can handle stuff fine. We'd probably also bring along rhesus macaques for medical research.

But with space travel, faunal biodiversity on other planets may be restricted to a dozen species of mammals, mostly small rodents, and possibly insects.

There goes my dream of building a giant space zoo in the atmosphere of Saturn.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: 5 Massive Problems We'd Face Living On Another Planet

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:52 am

I didn't like this article at all. It's just so pessimistic about human progress. I know Cracked isn't a hive mind, but there is sort of a recurring mentality that I really dislike about Cracked. There seems to be a recurring theme where technological innovation is scoffed at while cultural innovation is put on a much higher priority. As if to say, "Fuck technology, what we need is superhero-less hipster films that are 100% original".

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:17 pm

cmsellers wrote:My dream of building a giant space zoo

My dream is a space zoo for (non-avian) dinosaurs. Not in Saturn though, just Earth orbit. Jurassic Universe. All involved will die horribly but it will be worth it. Dinosaurs IN SPACE!

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Marcuse » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:48 am

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep