When Religious Parents Kill Kids: Inside 'Honor Killings'

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: When Religious Parents Kill Kids: Inside 'Honor Killings

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:04 pm

First off, Cracked damn better inform us if when the woman contacts them again :(

cmsellers wrote: (Moreover, Hindus don't generally engage in "honor killings" so much as sati, which is a slightly different horrific practice.)

Actually, Sati is almost obsolete nowadays. I don't think I have heard of a single Sati incident for many years. Honour killings by Hindus though? Definitely happen.
ShuaiGuy wrote:Don't Indians do a fair amount of honor killings? Is that only the Muslim subset of Indians that do it?

India has definitely seen a lot honour killings, especially in recent times. I have not seen as many Muslim ones in the news as Hindu ones. I may have mentioned it somewhere here that castes and clans are still an important thing in the rural north and west. That's where such cases happen, mostly when someone's found dating a person from a different caste/the same clan. The Court and the media are quick to take action though, as in the case of Manoj and Babli, where the clan leader was imprisoned for life for ordering the brutal killings and the perpetrators executed for carrying them out. Honour killings is almost non-existent in the east and the south, thankfully.

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby EstebanColberto » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Culture affects religion and religion affects culture. It's a give-take relationship.

I personally think Islam has endemic problems that are partially due to their own religious texts, but I also believe those texts would be no different if they started calling themselves Christian. It doesn't matter if it's the New Testament or the Koran, they will find a way to justify their current cultural beliefs no matter what text they follow. The reason I believe that the current Islamic nations will continue to follow the laws of Hammurabi and Nebuchadnezzar is cause they've followed those laws for thousands of years before Islam was even a thing. If we rush in there and convert all of them to Christianity, they'll still have honor killings cause they'll find some esoteric verse that supports it.

Another reason I think they'd just adopt a form of Christianity that fit with their own current culture is cause they already did. ISIS likes Jesus so much, they think he's coming back and killing everyone that doesn't agree with them. Islam is a sect of Christianity that grew really fucking large. Jesus certainly doesn't approve of ISIS, but I'm sure he does approve of the #YesAllSamaritans movement.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:47 am

Knicholas wrote:It's a bit unfortunate that the interviewee is Muslim, since honour killings happen across many cultural and religious lines. It also says something that I felt up to facing the "ways the world will end" article before this one.

If you don't trust people, you won't trust them with the truth, leading to people no longer trusting you.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Knicholas » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:20 am

Windy wrote:
If you don't trust people, you won't trust them with the truth, leading to people no longer trusting you.

Windy, I will trust a person. I've taught my children that for the most part, any person you meet is inherently good, and I do truly believe that.

I am mistrustful of "people" and most particularly mobs. Mobs are dumb and can be manipulated. That's my fear when I read stuff like this.

Knicholas
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Previous