5 Things You Learn Professionally Squatting In A Warehouse

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Things You Learn Professionally Squatting In A Warehouse

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Fucking hypocrites. Right, live off the grid, and leech from it. Kick out the "dangerous" "foes," who may be more than just a vile junkie looking for their next fix? Call yourself an anarchist? Hippy? Stick your fingers in your ear till the govt and cops leave you alone, but go crying to them when crimes happens. Man, either grow up and join the boring conformists or have some self respect and cut yourself off entirely.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Re: 5 Things You Learn Professionally Squatting In A Warehou

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Well-said! I don't feel a lot of enthusiastic support for hipsters who think that paying rent doesn't apply to them because they're "creative and resourceful." There's a reason squatting is illegal - it's not just "corporate greed, man."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby SandTea » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:07 am

Ladki96 wrote:Fucking hypocrites. Right, live off the grid, and leech from it.

Hypocrites? Probably, everyone is a fucking hypocrite and artists aren't exempt from that.
They are likely to be using those amenities more efficiently than any suburbanite I've ever known and I assume still paying taxes on their meager income while maintaining what is essentially a homeless shelter. (something you'd normally get a tax break for)

Kick out the "dangerous" "foes," who may be more than just a vile junkie looking for their next fix? Call yourself an anarchist? Hippy?

I am probably missing the point trying to be made here (my fault admittedly) but, yeah... kicking out the dude who bashes skulls in so there can be less bashed skulls sounds fine with me.

Stick your fingers in your ear till the govt and cops leave you alone, but go crying to them when crimes happens. Man, either grow up and join the boring conformists or have some self respect and cut yourself off entirely.

I guess I see your point here. If you want out of the society that's semi-possible less so in cities tho and even lesser when broke. The only folk who'd really be able to do that are the survivalist types who would most likely still be on gov. land of some sort. I'd still rather have the wandering nomad at least inform my local cops of the guy who bashes skulls in instead of learning of his existence first hand.

DamianaRaven wrote:Well-said! I don't feel a lot of enthusiastic support for hipsters who think that paying rent doesn't apply to them because they're "creative and resourceful." There's a reason squatting is illegal - it's not just "corporate greed, man."

Use of unused spaces doesn't seem like a huge problem. Some run down warehouse becoming a cultural heritage site seems pretty cool to me. I'd rather have some graffiti baby monsters than another walgreens.

Listen, I get it. Kids are awful and feel entitled and hipsters and liberal arts majors and they won't get off my lawn. Also this was in some other country I have no idea about so I sure don't know what the situation is like there. It might be equivalent to just the make out point type place where there's just dumb kids hanging around all the time. Annoying? Sure. This level of anger towards it? I wouldn't expect from anyone but the principal from any 80's movie.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:37 am

SandTea wrote:Listen, I get it. Kids are awful and feel entitled and hipsters and liberal arts majors and they won't get off my lawn.

That's really not my point at all. "Share and share alike" is all well and good, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of people just taking what they want because "hey man, you're not using it." There are surely tens of thousands of functioning vehicles just going to rust in people's driveways and garages, but it's not OK for anyone to just take them because they'll do the world more good if someone has a ride to work. If you want to change the laws regarding ownership of abandoned property, that's a fine idea to be considered. Until then, the same laws that prohibit squatting are the ones that make it illegal for me to come and take your car whenever you're not driving it. I don't think the world will be a better place if those laws are disregarded.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:19 am

DamianaRaven wrote: If you want to change the laws regarding ownership of abandoned property, that's a fine idea to be considered.

I agree.

Until then, the same laws that prohibit squatting are the ones that make it illegal for me to come and take your car whenever you're not driving it.

I disagree. That's sorta the point of the squatters rights law. I do see the point attempted here although I disagree with the analogy.

I don't think the world will be a better place if those laws are disregarded.

IDK, might be fun to try lol. We do seem to be in a sharing mood these days with all those ubers and airbnbs and whatnot. Yeah, I understand those are voluntary but I'm the sorta guy whose for mandatory organ donation so sue me. There are just a bunch of places around me that are going to waste for years and I personally would much rather have a semi organized group of artists inhabit than no one or be used as a crack house.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:09 am

SandTea wrote:There are just a bunch of places around me that are going to waste for years and I personally would much rather have a semi organized group of artists inhabit than no one or be used as a crack house.

(Emphasis Mine)

So, you're actually not OK with a group of poor people (who happen to share a common interest) ganging up on a property and appropriating it for their own use... or is it only OK for certain kinds of people to take what isn't theirs?

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:16 am

SandTea wrote:IDK, might be fun to try lol. We do seem to be in a sharing mood these days with all those ubers and airbnbs and whatnot. Yeah, I understand those are voluntary but I'm the sorta guy whose for mandatory organ donation so sue me. There are just a bunch of places around me that are going to waste for years and I personally would much rather have a semi organized group of artists inhabit than no one or be used as a crack house.

Are Uber and Airbnbs similar at all to this case? In both instances, it's people using something they own at a profit, not simply allowing someone else to mosey on over and start using it because they feel it isn't being used.

My problem with these squatters is this: they're coming into a place, doing their stuff, and expecting the rightful owners to take a form of payment that it is highly unlikely they ever would have agreed to. It's presumptuous ("I know how to use your things better than you do"), rude, and ought to be frowned upon.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby SandTea » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:46 am

DamianaRaven wrote:So, you're actually not OK with a group of poor people (who happen to share a common interest) ganging up on a property and appropriating it for their own use... or is it only OK for certain kinds of people to take what isn't theirs?

Lazy liberal artists are objectively better for any environment than crack heads. That's why I brought up the squatters law. It exists for a reason. It might have started as a way to stop shitty land owners or to help native americans or something else I'm forgetting but if it can make a neighborhood better I'm all for it. Even one of the ones mentioned went 'mainstream' and is a ligit source of income for the city. As is the other just not as profitable. I'm not arguing for flat out theft of peoples shit they are using here. I can tell that's the one line to be quoted next but no andro I don't mean it in a "we know better" way.

Andropov4 wrote:My problem with these squatters is this: they're coming into a place, doing their stuff, and expecting the rightful owners to take a form of payment that it is highly unlikely they ever would have agreed to. It's presumptuous ("I know how to use your things better than you do"), rude, and ought to be frowned upon.

I doubt they're expecting the owners to get any form of payment... sorta what squatting means.

The world is super complicated and there's good and bad on each side of the coin. Yes, squatters are stealing. Stealing is bad. No hope buildings are bad. Crackheads are bad. Perhaps I'm just being optimistic in this bleak world but at least the squatters brought up in the article are making the world a better place unarguably. Like I said, I don't remember which country except 'not mine' but I'd still love it if some snobs took over the abandoned drive in (10 years now) instead of the condom pile it has become (yes, raven some people are better neighbors than others) even if that means a bunch of pretentious soon to be mainstream kids trying to find their path in life move in.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:21 am

Edit: I am so sorry I pressed Quote, instead of Edit

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:28 am

Maybe I did overreact, and for that I apologize. The thing is, SandTea, there are actual homeless shelters set up by the government, NGOs and others where these squatters are welcome.
The world is super complicated and there's good and bad on each side of the coin. Yes, squatters are stealing. Stealing is bad. No hope buildings are bad.

Correct.
Crackheads are bad.

Perhaps they should also be helped, instead of being passive-aggressively forced to leave.
Perhaps I'm just being optimistic in this bleak world but at least the squatters brought up in the article are making the world a better place unarguably.

I do not see how it is unarguable. Squatters' law applies if the land is being disused for a considerable amount of time. In Metelkova, the government was in the process of selling the old army base to developers, who would have upgraded the land, whether for housing, agriculture, et cetera.
Like I said, I don't remember which country except 'not mine'

Slovenia
but I'd still love it if some snobs took over the abandoned drive in (10 years now) instead of the condom pile it has become (yes, raven some people are better neighbors than others) even if that means a bunch of pretentious soon to be mainstream kids trying to find their path in life move in.

I think you would not like your neighbours if they were playing music loudly enough to warrant a noise complaint, as the guys in the Rog were.

Maybe I come across as heartless :( but property laws are a thing, and I value freedom over equality. People can do whatever they want with their private property, and it's not my (nor the squatters') business if they have disused land or buildings lying by.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Taluun » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:02 am

SandTea wrote:Hypocrites? Probably, everyone is a fucking hypocrite and artists aren't exempt from that.

Just like everyone is probably a liar but it doesn't automatically make lying a good thing to do.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Ladki96 wrote:Maybe I come across as heartless :( but property laws are a thing, and I value freedom over equality. People can do whatever they want with their private property, and it's not my (nor the squatters') business if they have disused land or buildings lying by.

There's nothing heartless about respecting property laws. Like you said, there are ways to take care of the homeless, ways that are a lot more conducive to rehabilitation and success than living illegally in an unsafe environment. Safety is a pretty compelling reason to oppose squatting. Abandoned buildings tend to deteriorate and often have structural problems that could cause somebody injury or death.

I think the reason some people are OK with the idea of artist colonies taking over abandoned properties is stereotype. I can't help but notice that Sand Tea is only magnanimous to artists who squat. Crackheads are bad and should be prosecuted for laws that others get to break with impunity. I think there's an erroneous expectation that these "artists" will invariably be attractive white twentysomethings who don't actually need to squat, so they throw cleaning parties and fix-it socials and won't mind that their hard work will bring free profit to someone rich enough to own property. None of them will be drug addicts (artists don't do drugs, silly) or desperate thieves who'll tear the walls apart looking for copper to sell. None of them would be filthy or lazy or drunk or selfish or mentally ill or plain ole mean and stupid - just uniformly wholesome, idealistic kids (who all just happen to be over 18 and fuckably hot) breaking a dumb law for a good cause.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:49 pm

I am sorry Raven, your first paragraph was bang on point, but don't go taking SandTea's words out of their mouth. After all, they themselves acknowledged that squatters are stealing; that artists can be lazy entitled kids. Their viewpoints are debatable but understandable, and logical.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:04 pm

GET OFF MY LAWN!

(Sorry... had to be said.)

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:13 pm

The problem I have with Mr. Tea's viewpoints is that it seems wantonly discriminatory to presume that one kind of person (artists) are breaking a certain law to create "historical landmarks" while other groups of people (drug addicts, for example) breaking the same law are just bad people that create nothing but crack houses. If it's not OK for crackheads to take over a building so they can have a quiet, safe place to buy and smoke their crack, then it shouldn't be OK for "artists" (which is a highly subjective title that anyone with a stick of charcoal can claim) to take over a building so they can have some free walls to paint on. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some important business to attend.

*takes a shit on Nathan's lawn*

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next