6 Reasons There's no escape from Hollywood Racism

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 6 Reasons There's no escape from Hollywood Racism

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:24 pm

*grins playfully*

Don't make me pull this thread over and cut a switch!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby archaeologydalek » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Let's all relax and focus on the real enemy.

Owen Wilson.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Cordslash » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:
Cordslash wrote:I also take it back, you don't know what a zinger is. TCS'ers, am I right?

Emphasis mine.

The vast majority of TCS'ers have always had the utmost respect for Cracked writers.

So low blow there dude.

For the love of...that was a reference to the exact same joke that they made about Cracked writers in the post that I was replying to.

I should end with a zinger......Cracked writers mirite?!

I think I'm going to duck out of this thread now.

Edit: I just realised that I wasn't even inferring anything about TCS'ers by that remark, just how Cobra wasn't inferring anything about Cracked writers with theirs. Aside from my remark about Cobra doesn't know what a zinger is, there's no insult to anyone, least of all the wider forum population. That's right, ladies and gentlemen: it's a low blow to...say that TCS'ers exist, I guess.

My very humble apologies. I did know what you were replying to though. It's just that I saw the way you reacted to an intended joke in another recent thread and thought it might have happened here too (even though the joke was obvious. Then again Poe's law).

No harm done, we're all good.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Andropov4 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:34 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:Given the fact that the movie is released TOMORROW, couldn't he have, you know, written the article after actually seeing it?

He probably wrote that article at least a bit ago. It's not like he wrote the article two days ago and then it got published (probably). It's even possible it's a piece he's been working on for a month or more.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Taluun » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:58 am

sunglasses wrote:Let's all relax and focus on the real enemy.

Owen Wilson.

I will take any excuse to link Dream Theater that you guys give me.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:24 am

It's totally possible to avoid Hollywood. Stop watching television and movies and remember that everyone in books is black. You can tell, by the black text and shit.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:14 am

sunglasses wrote:Let's all relax and focus on the real enemy.

Owen Wilson.

You know what I have to say about that?

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:05 am

Reed Richards wrote:Even by my standards, the premise of this article is a fucking reach.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Nugget of Syrup

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:04 am

Well, the movie's out now, and the general consensus critics have come to is that it's just shy of being the most hilariously racist film since Birth of a Nation. I'm curious to know what anyone who's gone to see it has to say.

EDIT: My wording left it somewhat ambiguous, so I should make it clear that I do not share or endorse the critical consensus. Frankly, the complaints seem to be way overblown.

Last edited by KleinerKiller on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Gendry » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55 am

Ouch. It seems this movie has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Gendry
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: King of the Andals

Postby Arkyle » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:14 am

Here's my issue with some of the criticism. If you look at the entire idea of this film, there would be absolutely NO way anyone could win in an action movie - possibly if it was crafted as a drama, yes, but even then something would be classed as "racist" or "offensive" by somebody.

Point by point:

1) The lack of location: If a specific location had been given, then you create another whole genre of complaints about how it's stereotyping [insert country of choice]. If it had been a made up place, then you still would have had complaints because it's obviously based on a real world location, why couldn't they just say so? Also, is the location really important? What does it add to the story to give it a name?

2) The political unrest: Are we really going to argue that political unrest doesn't happen and that it can't happen quite suddenly? Hell, I live in a country where a few months ago a man was murdered walking down the street for the very evil crime of being "not South African". Let's not sugar coat certain truths just because we don't like them. From the review Gendry linked, they did try to justify why the revolution happened (albeit poorly) and specifically why they were targetting Owen Wilson and his family. From everything I've read in this post so far, the problem people are having with the film isn't the fact that there was a revolution. The problem is the fact that "oh dear, we could potentially be showing non white people in a bad light". Show of hands, how many of you would have had an issue (other than the fact that it seems to be a properly schlock action movie) with this film if the citizens of the country in question had been white?

3) The lack of perspective on the other side: Again, it's an action move, not a drama. You are telling a story from the point of view of someone who is trying to survive an attack on his family. Black Hawk Down didn't exactly go into the hugest amount of detail about the "other side" either, yet that movie won awards. You got a brief explanation and then we moved on to the focus of the story. I mean, let's be honest here. If people started chasing you with a gun, would you really go and try to understand their point of view? Could more effort be expended into addressing every nuance of the reason behind the revolution, sure - but again, then you have a drama, not an action movie.

And if that effort had been made, then you would run into a barrage of complaints about how the movie is either unAmerican or it potentially portrays the Asian country of choice as being incapable of diplomacy. After all, if your politics are working properly, you wouldn't need to resort to violence to fix your political issues.

4) The fact that Pierce Brosnan is white. Yes, and if he'd been black/asian and local he would have been criticised as being a Magical Negro

I've possibly missed a few points, but really, how would you have gone with the premise of "in a place I don't know where people start chasing me because of what I represent rather than who I am" without someone accusing you of being racist somehow? You could have set it in space with the people who hate you as aliens and people would have still drawn parallels to race.

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Previous