I Was Raised As A Racist: 6 Weird Things I Learned

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: I Was Raised As A Racist: 6 Weird Things I Learned

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Cordslash wrote:They were kind of big during the late 2000's. Their raison d'être?
That all of the black people were waiting for Nelson Mandela to die before rising up and killing all the white people. Because he wouldv'e been disappointed in them if he were still alive.

-And then Nelson Mandela died in December 2013. Which was a very said time for most of the country.But none so much for the Suidlanders, because the predicted genocide didn't happen.

Ugh! This is EXACTLY why when you're building your sect around the fear of an Upcoming Doom Event, you have to make it vague. Otherwise, if you say, tell your followers the world's going to end January 2nd 2014, and then the date rolls around and the world's still there, you get that awful, cringe moment, when your followers give you the "Look." Even the ones who still want to go along with it, even them, they all have that "YOU PROMISED US THE WORLD WOULD END!" look on their face. You can hit 'em with the whole "It didn't end because of us, and what we're doing" schpiel of course, but that just come's off as hollow.

Ugh, the whole thing it's ... the worst feeling ever. Just say, "Soon." The Doom is coming Soon. You can stretch that out as long as you like. Life, amiright, it don't come with an instruction manual.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:43 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:Life, amiright, it don't come with an instruction manual.

Sure, it does!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:51 pm

That's not a manual. That's a cheat code.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby starbellied » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:14 am

My dad does not trust the chinese. He claims they are a sneaky people who have no appreciation for the value of human life, when asked for evidence he responds "look at what they did in World War II". I told him that was the japaneese but was reminded that they are all the same.

As an interesting sidenote this does not apply to asian americans only asians that live in asia.

starbellied
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby starbellied » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:25 am

I will tell a riacist joke if it's funny. Most aren't because if you know the stereotypes you see the punchline coming and if you don't know them, you won't get the joke. Every now and then I will hear a funny one and pass it along.

starbellied
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:04 pm

I've already talked a lot on this forum about the various ways I have been treated, for better or worse or even occasionally NEUTRAL if you can imagine such a thing, for bein' sorta brown, so I wouldn't repeat myself too much here. I just wanted to share a little anecdote from yesterday that is sort of relevant.

I was going to the mercados yesterday looking for some sour orange, or bitter orange. It's a specific variety that's used liberally in Cuban food, which is going to be my thing in a short time. I'm making Cubanos and to do that you have to roast pork marinated in mojo, which is fashioned around a sour orange juice base. If you've never seen sour orange juice at your local grocer's, that's because it's mostly sold in mercados.

Going to a Mexican market always makes me a bit tetchy because I've had a long history of actual, immigrated or otherwise displaced Mexicans, giving me the stinkeye for not being brown enough. But both mercados I visited yesterday, I went to the counter and said, "Mi espanol... no bueno" which is about as good as I can do, and they both smiled and encouraged me to keep trying. Both of the ladies behind the counters were young, and I thought to myself that it only makes sense that the younger generation of immigrants would be more accepting of the idea that a Mexican might be a Mexican't sometimes. Even if they have had very little exposure to American culture in their lives, the world is a lot more interconnected than it was in their parents' and grandparents' day, and some of those biases don't have as much of a chance to work on them before it becomes more okay in their minds to be different. It also made me feel like I should probably be a little more positive in general about dealing with "real" Mexicans, because I've had some really nice experiences with folks who speak very little English, and I always forget about those for some reason when I go to the Mexican market.

No amount of globalization and Internet is going to make me change my mind about those dirty Samoans though

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby mancityfooty » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Matthew Notch wrote:No amount of globalization and Internet is going to make me change my mind about those dirty Samoans though

I'm sure it was a joke, but it did bring something to mind.
My wife is friends with a guy from Hawaii. Big, tall guy. Dark skin and black hair. He says he has people come up to him all the time talking Spanish like he should know it. But he doesn't, he just looks the part.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby Andropov4 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:27 am

mancityfooty wrote:My wife is friends with a guy from Hawaii. Big, tall guy. Dark skin and black hair. He says he has people come up to him all the time talking Spanish like he should know it. But he doesn't, he just looks the part.

Relevant.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:13 am

Matthew Notch wrote:if you can imagine such a thing, for bein' sorta brown

Pffft, skin colour. What is this, the Bronze Age? When will you foreigners learn that the colour of one's skin doesn't matter? The only thing that's important is someone's religious background, that's what you should be judging and being prejudicial to others about!

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:19 pm

I've gotten a little bit of that in my day too

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby krankittoeleven » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:08 am

mancityfooty wrote:My wife is friends with a guy from Hawaii. Big, tall guy. Dark skin and black hair. He says he has people come up to him all the time talking Spanish like he should know it. But he doesn't, he just looks the part.

A similar thing happens to a co-worker of mine all the time. He's from the Philippines but he gets mistaken for Mexican all the time. I've seen Mexicans get pissed at him for not understanding Spanish. One guy even thought he was lying when he said he was Filipino.

krankittoeleven
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep
Title: The Real Sleaze Teaser

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Why bother to raise kids as racist when you can raise them to be bigoted towards rocks?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Cordslash » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:13 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:Why bother to raise kids as racist when you can raise them to be bigoted towards rocks?

Well to be fair, those rocks are just lying around there doing nothing. Did rocks ever invent anything? Of course not.
And there are so many of them. They're just all over the place. Freaking rocks. Just sitting still, biding their time...

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby JamishT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:38 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:Why bother to raise kids as racist when you can raise them to be bigoted towards rocks?

Ha! Joke's on you; I'm incredibly bigoted towards rocks! My first instinct when coming upon a rock is to chuck it into the nearest body of water!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:51 am

JamishT wrote:

Ha! Jokes on you; I'm incredibly bigoted towards rocks! My first instinct when coming upon a rock is to chuck it into the nearest body of water!

You monster!

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Previous