7 Real Horrible School Assignments

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 7 Real Horrible School Assignments

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Kate, I went to a catholic school and the principal was a nun that taught my Dad and all my uncles at the same school when they were younger. She had a problem with them and so when she saw my last name, she automatically had a problem with me. One time she was teaching our religion class when the normal teacher was sick and I asked the question (remember, I was 6 IIRC) "How did God become God", I was told I was going to hell. After class I asked her if I was really going to hell for that question and she said "No, you're going to hell because you're an (Our last name)" lol

Actually, I think I take more offense to it than I should because my grandfather died before I was born so I never got to meet him. I'm mad at the plant he worked at where he died, I'm mad at the guy that was jerking around that caused 4 tons of glass to fall and ultimately mad at my grandpa for giving his life to push his co-worker out of harms way that caused it to land on him.

See, this is what I mean when I say it's good to talk about prejudices, you start to see the real root problems and start seeing what you always thought was the reason in a new light. Thanks for that, Kate <3

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:34 pm

Dude, your grandpa was a badass.

If only my grandpa was like that. He divorced my grandmother (but they stayed close) and had bad problems with depression. He ended up getting diagnosed with colon cancer and retreated to the bottle. He died sometime after 9/11 from the cancer spreading. I still kinda hate him for that, but shit happens, ya know?

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:11 am

rowdyrodimus wrote:I'm going to own up to what my issues with Jews are about and it's a completely stupid thing, I know. But here goes. (And by problems with Jews I don't mean I hate them, remember that)

My grandpa was one of the troops that liberated a concentration camp (I'm not sure which one), he was shot several times but still kept fighting. Well, a decade later, he goes to a bank to get a small loan and notices the tattoo on the loan officers arm (the loan officer was the son in law of the banks owner) that the Nazi's used to brand the Jews with. My Grandpa mentions it and the loan officer says which camp he was at, it was the same one my Grandpa helped liberate, he gave dates and info that only the people there would know, so the banker would know he was telling the truth. So you'd think the guy would try hard to help one of the guys that risked their lives to save him, right? No, he just tells my Grandfather he can't get the loan. It was something like $1,000 but to the banker he might have been asking for $1,000,000. He said that he had missing years in his credit report or something and those years just happened to be the years he was overseas fighting in WWII. So because my Grandpa was risking his life to save the life of the people like and INCLUDING the banker, he couldn't get the loan he needed.

Now to most people that wouldn't mean much. But from things that certain people of a certain "Chosen" segment have done to me, also, it was just another sign of the stereotype of the "Greedy Jew" not being far from wrong. All he had to do is go to his FIL and tell him to OK it, our lives right now would be completely different (The money was to buy out my Great Grandfather's share in a limousine manufacturing business that would've kept it in our family).

Does it make me a bad person not to trust them after what I've been through? Probably. I'll admit that. But I don't believe they deserved what happened to them or for them to be wiped off the face of the earth, either. We all have our prejudices, I guess some of us are just more honest and will admit them than others.

Edit: The thing with being honest about prejudices is that when we admit we have them, things can be talked about, discussed and worked on. When we don't admit them, they just fester beneath the surface until they eventually become hate and the hate becomes rage and the rage becomes violence. I want to work on my prejudices, I really do and I try. I'm not perfect and I slip and say things that are considered slurs from time to time, but hopefully by talking about it and learning more, I will lose those prejudices. So please, any Jewish people reading this, please understand that I am trying to become more understanding and lose the prejudice I hold but also understand that even with those, I don't wish any group of people any harm.

I think it's a great thing to explore your deep seated beliefs and work on overcoming them.

We usually use the phrase "check your privilege" as a joke, but it has it's roots in a valid concept. The idea is, if you find yourself in a conflict with people dissimilar to yourself, so you do a mental check to make sure you aren't being motivated by your experience being privileged. For example, say you're a woman who grew up being conventionally pretty, white, relatively wealthy, and generally comfortable. In your college class there are some weird looking poor people that your friends keep mocking behind their back. That would be a situation where you should do a mental check to determine if these people are actually terrible or if your friends are prejudiced.

In order for this to happen, we have to acknowledge that we can be prejudiced. Most people are absolutely terrified of being considered racist or prejudiced, so they find it uncomfortable admit they have the capacity to hold these biases. This is bad. If you don't admit you're capable of being flawed, you have no chance of improvement.

Rowdyrodimus, I'm curious about one thing. I want to know what exactly is the target of your feelings about Jews. Is it their race? Religion? Culture? Some combination? Judaism is kind of complicated.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:29 am

Andropov4 wrote:*Shuai next semester*

"Alright, class. Today, you're gonna piss on my face. You'll be graded on stream, colour, aim, quantity of urine, and tang."

Now this says more about you than it does him and I feel suddenly obliged to say ewwww so people don't think I approve of your imagination. (You need to pray more... or something.)

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:50 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:Dude, your grandpa was a badass.

If only my grandpa was like that. He divorced my grandmother (but they stayed close) and had bad problems with depression. He ended up getting diagnosed with colon cancer and retreated to the bottle. He died sometime after 9/11 from the cancer spreading. I still kinda hate him for that, but shit happens, ya know?

I just told my Dad (it was his Dad I was talking about) and he said thanks and that you're damn right he was a badass, they didn't call him Big Bad John just because of the song. (Everyone says I'm just like my Grandpa which is another reason I get mad thinking about never getting to meet him. We have a newspaper clipping about his funeral, and it was the longest procession in the history of our city until then and probably since, over two miles long. Everyone loved him.)

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby LiteralHipster » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:06 am

rowdyrodimus wrote:I'm going to own up to what my issues with Jews are about and it's a completely stupid thing, I know. But here goes. (And by problems with Jews I don't mean I hate them, remember that)

My grandpa was one of the troops that liberated a concentration camp (...) Now to most people that wouldn't mean much. But from things that certain people of a certain "Chosen" segment have done to me, also, it was just another sign of the stereotype of the "Greedy Jew" not being far from wrong. (...) We all have our prejudices, I guess some of us are just more honest and will admit them than others.

So, basically you admit you have a prejudice against Jews because a Jewish banker acted in a stereotypically greedy way towards your family, but you can't accept other people mockingly warning you about sexual abuse from Catholic priests when this attitude is not based on prejudice, but on repeated incidents all over the world than even the two last Popes recognized as a problem?

See what is the problem some of us have with Christians? You apply double standards literally everywhere, to justify your feeling oppressed and persecuted when you are in fact (as mentioned before in this thread) a privileged majority. Don't expect sympathy when you are bordering into anti-semitism to complain about discrimination.

LiteralHipster
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:08 am

LiteralHipster wrote:
See what is the problem some of us have with Christians the whole of humanity? .

Thought I'd do you a solid and fix that one.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby LiteralHipster » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:13 am

Andropov4 wrote:
LiteralHipster wrote:
See what is the problem some of us have with Christians the whole of humanity? .

Thought I'd do you a solid and fix that one.

But that's not true. Some people are actually oppressed. That's why complaints from non-oppressed groups sound particularly cynical.

LiteralHipster
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:31 am

People of every group have used and continue to use double standards. It is not a phenomenon restricted to Christians.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LiteralHipster » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:41 am

Andropov4 wrote:People of every group have used and continue to use double standards. It is not a phenomenon restricted to Christians.

I think you're building a strawman just to adopt a conciliatory position. I haven't said simply that Christians appeal to double standards. I've specified exactly what kind of double standard they appeal to, and how. Let me quote myself:

me wrote:So, basically you admit you have a prejudice against Jews because a Jewish banker acted in a stereotypically greedy way towards your family, but you can't accept other people mockingly warning you about sexual abuse from Catholic priests when this attitude is not based on prejudice, but on repeated incidents all over the world than even the two last Popes recognized as a problem?

See what is the problem some of us have with Christians? You apply double standards literally everywhere, to justify your feeling oppressed and persecuted when you are in fact (as mentioned before in this thread) a privileged majority. Don't expect sympathy when you are bordering into anti-semitism to complain about discrimination.

To the extent that this is true, it's true of Christians, not of, say, Jews, Muslims, blacks, gays or women, who are actually persecuted, often by Christians.

I will also add (and I should have added it before) that my assertion is qualified. I'm talking about Christians in the present and mainly in the Western hemisphere, where they are a non-oppressed group. I know that Christians have been persecuted throughout history and they are still persecuted in some countries. Those Christians have all my sympathy and are not included in the above generalization.

LiteralHipster
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:03 am

LiteralHipster wrote:Let me quote myself:

me wrote:So, basically you admit you have a prejudice against Jews because a Jewish banker acted in a stereotypically greedy way towards your family, but you can't accept other people mockingly warning you about sexual abuse from Catholic priests when this attitude is not based on prejudice, but on repeated incidents all over the world than even the two last Popes recognized as a problem?

To the extent that this is true, it's true of Christians, not of, say, Jews, Muslims, blacks, gays or women, who are actually persecuted, often by Christians.

I will also add (and I should have added it before) that my assertion is qualified. I'm talking about Christians in the present and mainly in the Western hemisphere, where they are a non-oppressed group. I know that Christians have been persecuted throughout history and they are still persecuted in some countries. Those Christians have all my sympathy and are not included in the above generalization.

I don't think any of that qualification is clear from the quoted section.

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby pikajew » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:11 am

I'm only going to briefly touch the Jew thing here. As a Jew, I have had to face the fact that people hate me for no real reason. I'm not even going to discuss family issues, just the arson (house burned down) and having the windows busted out of my home that happened during my lifetime. So yeah, I get uncomfortable talking about being Jewish in real life and realizing that there's a good possibility that a couple people around me want me to die. There are ways that the teacher could have made that assignment appropriate, but there are far too many ways that it could hurt someone. In middle school, I definitely wasn't mature enough to tolerate a classmate half-assedly questioning a topic that strikes so close to home for me.

As far as the horrible assignments, I'm going to end on a funny note and tell you guys about a teacher I had that was fired for not understanding that some things just weren't appropriate for 16 year olds. First, she showed the class 88 Minutes which starts with a graphic torture scene. Then, she decided that somehow, The Vagina Monologues had something to do with an 11th grade Criminal Evidence class. The last straw was when she gave my Courtroom Procedures class an assignment to see a dramatic reading at the Onyx Theatre, which is in an adult store and also show sex shows, so we clearly were not old enough to go. She was fired from her job at my high school and at the community college on the same day. She now works at an adult store as a plus-size fetishware expert. I wish I didn't know that.

pikajew
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Darth

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:29 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:37 am

rowdyrodimus wrote: A few of us brought up if the actual numbers were right as they didn't seem to fit the numbers of Jews in the area the Nazi's had control over. We weren't saying it didn't happen just maybe that the numbers had been inflated some.

To be clear, this constitutes Holocaust Denial, which itself is anti-Semitism. If you still have this opinion, then a) this forum is not the place to express it (literally against the rules), and b) I recommend you read my first link, including all attached sources.

As for this:

Does it make me a bad person not to trust them after what I've been through?

Yes, especially if you think that's justified by the behaviour of Jews in general. Especially because what you've been through is being graded poorly on a Holocaust related assignment for Holocaust denial, and having your grandfather's loan denied by a guy who may not have even been in a position to make a different decision, depending on bank policy.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby EstebanColberto » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:02 pm

rowdyrodimus wrote:It's just something I've noticed more and more as a Catholic. I mean, anytime I mention being an altar boy, I have to add "Nothing Happened" or it will be nothing more than at least a dozen "Molesting Priest" jokes or accusations in the comments.

Well I'm from a German Catholic family. Let's pretend I'm an Italian Catholic for a second though.

What's goin' on? You got people pokin' fun at ya'? Huh!? Fuggetah bout it! It's nuthin'! It's trash! You know what's good? Your ma's broccoli casserole, I mean three meat lasagna.

Point is we're totally cool here no matter what your religion.

Edit: Even if it's kind of weird.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext