5 Things I Learned Committing Campus Sexual Assault

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Things I Learned Committing Campus Sexual Assault

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Things I Learned Committing Campus Sexual Assault

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 pm

So, it turn out the situation wasn't exactly how I thought. Stupid brain not completely awake yet.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby archaeologydalek » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:22 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:27 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:Image

This is completely off topic but, it always amazes me how many works of art completely fuck up the colors of the rainbow.

Seriously this isn't even close.

That's the answer to your question. Without the internet, rainbows look all wrong because nobody can Google it. Gay pride parades would be a disaster.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby EstebanColberto » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:12 pm

I think the whole point of the article was that the guy didn't know what he was doing was wrong until after the fact. He misread signals and acted in a way that wasn't appropriate and felt revulsion about what he had done.

Thinking back to my sex ed classes in high school, they mainly only taught us about the consequences of getting pregnant or contracting an STD. Mostly, they tried to scare us away from having sex. (News flash: That doesn't work.) They didn't mention situations like this at all.

When I grew up, "No Means No" was the popular slogan, but I can see how that is not the be all-end all solution. It helped gain a little bit of understanding, but it was about as effective in the long run as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:37 pm

I think this might answer the incredulous question, "how can a man rape a woman and not be a rapist." Just like this, it would seem - through ignorance, fear, and miscommunication. "No means no" only works when someone actually says no.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Taluun » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:48 pm

I was quite pleased with the article and most of the comments that I saw there. I'm glad that he didn't get a very harsh punishment as I find it problematic to harshly punish those who had no malicous intent and feel remorseful for what they did. To me punishment should be used almosy exclusively to deter crime, so punishing him severely wouldn't help this case.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:02 pm

I agree - if everything happened as the story was told, he got what he deserved.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby LaChaise » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:28 pm

This was a great article, with some great comments. I'm glad to see a story about people and not about camps, talking about important stuff without trying to be a public trial and a manichean shitfest.

I wish these could be the norm and not the exception...

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Jack Road » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:48 am

It is difficult to remember that I, even out of shape (and average-to-short for a guy), am potentially intimidating physically to a great many women.

I remember one time I was just ambling along, at about three in the morning down 1st avenue. I had my hood up because it was cold, and was listening to Wicked on my iPod. I had a raspberry smoothie in my hand, which was awesome, and was singing "Popular" under my breath

I walk very quickly and quietly for my size, because when I was younger I worshiped people like Euell Gibbons and Peter Jenkins, and I trained to be like them. I was a weird kid.

*step* *step* *step* "...hang with the right cohorts. You'll be good at sports..." *step* *step* *step*
*step* *step* *step* "Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis." *step* *step* *step*

I saw someone walking about twenty yards in front of me. I quit singing. Because I felt whoever it was probably didn't want to hear me singing. I was embarrassed of it. And nervous of them. I put my head down and walked even faster, hoping to out pace them and move past them so I could resume my mindless thought-walk. As I grew closer to her, I turned my headphones down so I could hear if she perchance tried to attack me as I passed. I'm an anxious person.

*What She Saw*

A young man with a hood up, shrouding his face, appeared to be mumbling to himself. Suddenly he stopped when he saw me, then pulled his hood lower and started walking towards me even more quickly. I spun around and began taking large strides forward, but he walked even faster to match. I turned around for a moment to look where I was going, then spun back to look, and he was already alongside me. He moved so quietly I didn't even hear him. He raised his hand towards me. I screamed...

*Road Starts Out of His Stupor*

She screamed at me. She screamed and started running. I had just been trying to do a friendly wave at her, because at the last moment I realized maybe I was being a bit threatening. When she screamed and ran it clicked into place. I pulled down my hood and yelled after her "WHO THE FUCK RAPES SOMEBODY WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE A SMOOTHIE!?!?"

She stopped short and turned to look at me. We stared at each other for a few moments, like deers with their own attached headlights. Suddenly she started laughing hysterically. I stood dumbfounded and then gave a nervous chuckle.

"Where the hell do you get a smoothie at three in the morning?"

I pointed somewhere behind both of us.

"24-hour coffee shop"

"It looks delicious."

"It is delicious"

She smiled and nodded, and after a moment, turned back and started walking again. I waited a moment then turned around and started walking back to my apartment.

Last edited by Jack Road on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Oh my god. Jack! You've done it. You've solved the rape problem.

FREE SMOOTHIES FOR EVERYBODY!

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm a little perturbed that the girl's side of the story didn't seem to be included. I understand why they wouldn't want to open up that old wound, but it would have been nice if that information was available.

Incidentally, a couple women in the comments have mentioned being "Vicky" in similar scenarios, and one expressed a desire to track down her "Tim" online and break the silence. Not get back together with him obviously, but to discuss what happened, give him a chance to apologize, and give herself a chance to forgive him.

I hope to God she's going to be cautious about it, but if the guy's as remorseful as she seems to think (and she would obviously know better than I), Cracked may have made a huge difference in at least two people's lives with this article.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby selena81 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:40 am

this was such a good article in making clear that we cannot just tell kids 'no is no', that teen-on-teen rape may sometimes stem from nervousness and failure to read signals rather then malice.

selena81
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep