Everyone Assumes You're Violent...

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Postby Cujos&Bits » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:42 am

Last edited by Cujos&Bits on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cujos&Bits
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Re: Everyone Assumes You're Violent...

Postby rowdyrodimus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Just a question for anyone who would know (I know I could look it up and get technical definitions but I prefer people explaining their ideas, feelings, etc. over reading $5 words that a doctor or scientist wrote to be in a scientific journal. It seems to be easier for us laypersons to understand that way.) but what is the difference between being Bi-Polar and being Manic Depressive? They seem awfully similar to me but I know there's a difference but not enough to know exactly what they are, so any help here?

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:10 pm

rowdyrodimus wrote: over reading $5 words that a doctor or scientist wrote to be in a scientific journal.

They aren't $5 words. There are very specific reasons why the terminology changes over time and why a doctor uses one term over the other. The reason for the terminology change in part was because of public perception and also because not everyone who is bipolar goes into full blown mania and some only go into hypo-mania.

In the last few decades the medical profession (psychiatry specifically) has made a concerted effort to shift the vernacular to the official DSM diagnostic term of bipolar disorder. There are a number of reasons cited for this shift:
•"Manic depression" has generally been used to denote a wide array of mental illnesses, and as classification systems have become more sophisticated, the new term of bipolar disorder allows for more clarity in a diagnosis.
•The term "manic depression" has been greatly stigmatized. Consider popular phrases such "manic Monday," Animanics, homicidal maniac, etc. And "depression" is commonly used for periods of sadness that don't really qualify as clinical depression.
•Bipolar disorder is more of a clinical term, less emotionally loaded.
•Manic depression gives emphasis to the predominant emotional symptoms, but implies exclusion of the physical or cognitive symptoms.
•The term also excludes the cyclothymic or hypomanic (bipolar II disorder) versions of the disorder.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby rowdyrodimus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 pm

When I say $5 words, I'm not meaning the verbiage of names of diseases or symptoms or drugs when a Dr. writes up a report, none of those types of things what I mean are when people will say something with big words when you can use a simpler easier to understand word when saying it to a layperson, which is why I specified I'd rather be told in easy to understand words instead of reading up things in journals and other resources. It's like calling something a Myocardial Infarction when explaining something to a person instead of using the more common and easier to understand "Heart Attack". Trust me, I understand that the clinical term can be more descriptive to another doctor (I've had to type up many, many reports in my time because my Aunt can't type any more than I can do brain surgery), so I didn't mean any disrespect. It's just that with the way my memory is because of my Intra-Axial Hemorrhage (Stroke for those not wanting to look it up lol) I have troubles remembering terms to a lot of words that I used to be able to spout off with the best of them. So again, no disrespect intended, Sunglasses.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:00 pm

I've never heard a stroke being called a intra-axial hemorrhage.

I've only ever heard a cerebrovascular event be called a stroke.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby rowdyrodimus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:53 pm

That's what they told me the term was, but then the stroke was actually caused because I had undiagnosed scarring on my brain from an accident years before that built up blood and exploded like an aneurism, so maybe they were explaining the cause of it to me. The day it happened and about two weeks after is still a bit fuzzy all around for me, all I really remember clearly was telling them to get me into a room quick because Monday Night Raw started at 8 lol

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:53 am

I've learned that Bipolar Disorder runs in my family. The question is do I have it too? I'm clinically depressed, but I don't know if I ever had a manic episode before. I also have Asperger's syndrome, and while coping with it growing up, people would have thought I was manically depressed because I threw temper tantrums and cried a lot. The medicine I'm taking now seems to reduce my problems down to mild anxiety, stress, and headaches.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Previous