5 Ways Dr. Oz Is Even Crazier Than You Realize

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 5 Ways Dr. Oz Is Even Crazier Than You Realize

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:21 pm

Andropov4 wrote:I think Jenna is arguing against the idea that stupid or gullible people "deserve" to be duped, in a very broad fashion, articulating why she believes this is harmful and doesn't make sense.

Yeah, and what exactly do you believe my post meant? To my knowledge nobody is on the opposite side of that argument. As you can tell if you read the rest of his post instead of cherry picking sentences and deliberately going out of your way to be offended by them.
Part of me wants to say that people who don't know a snake oil salesman when they see one are going to get what they deserve one way or another, "a fool and his money" and all that. But the thing about quack medicine is that they're not just stealing money, they're discouraging people with serious health problems from seeking real help and that is a fucking despicable thing to do to somebody and their loved ones. Moreover, Oz isn't just some spokesman in a lab coat, he's a real physician with all the ethical responsibilities that come with being a recognized authority. And he's ignoring those responsibilities, and the Hippocratic Oath, by telling people that some goddamn berry is a good substitute for actual medicine.

In short, fuck that guy. If he can't separate his medical advice from naturopathic bullshit then the AMA needs to take away his credentials.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm not offended, merely opposed to the contextual use of the word "deserve."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:55 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
Andropov4 wrote:I think Jenna is arguing against the idea that stupid or gullible people "deserve" to be duped, in a very broad fashion, articulating why she believes this is harmful and doesn't make sense.

Yeah, and what exactly do you believe my post meant? To my knowledge nobody is on the opposite side of that argument. As you can tell if you read the rest of his post instead of cherry picking sentences and deliberately going out of your way to be offended by them.
Part of me wants to say that people who don't know a snake oil salesman when they see one are going to get what they deserve one way or another, "a fool and his money" and all that. But the thing about quack medicine is that they're not just stealing money, they're discouraging people with serious health problems from seeking real help and that is a fucking despicable thing to do to somebody and their loved ones. Moreover, Oz isn't just some spokesman in a lab coat, he's a real physician with all the ethical responsibilities that come with being a recognized authority. And he's ignoring those responsibilities, and the Hippocratic Oath, by telling people that some goddamn berry is a good substitute for actual medicine.

In short, fuck that guy. If he can't separate his medical advice from naturopathic bullshit then the AMA needs to take away his credentials.

I don't see it necessarily as an argument against someone as much as a quibble regarding a single sentence that Jenna used as an opportunity to discuss a larger point.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Paradox » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Yeah, as long as there are gullible people, someone, somewhere, will find a way to take advantage of it.

No, it doesn't make it any more acceptable, nor should we condone it.

I wouldn't be surprised if a percentage of people who take advantage of the naive/desperate does so because they know they can get away by blaming their victim. No one likes to think of themselves as a villain.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Paradox wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if a percentage of people who take advantage of the naive/desperate does so because they know they can get away by blaming their victim. No one likes to think of themselves as a villain.

I suspect one of the ways that con artists rationalize their thievery is by telling themselves that if they don't take advantage of the naive and gullible, someone worse will step right up and rip them off anyway. After all, the fraudulent loss of their money is both inevitable and (apparently) even deserved. In any event, you're right about how very few people are willing to admit, even to themselves, that they're The Bad Guy.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:41 pm

I like to think that, if Harry Potter was a real world story, the Death Eaters wouldn't have that name. They'd be called "the wizard's liberation front" or something like this. Their roster wouldn't be composed of sarcastic, bleak people, but of charismatic, charming personel.

For every person who fiercely loves/hates Voldemort, there would be 10 who can't make their minds. Afterall, both sides have good points. There would also be the guy who isn't inherently evil in any way, but is simply fed up with being forced into hiding. He'd join Voldemort's forces, and would be a loyal follower, but he isn't bad at heart.

Then there are people who agree that the muggles should pay for what they did to wizards in the middle ages. Others think that wizards are superior folks, but that muggles deserve to be respected.

There wouldn't be even a consensus on what to do with muggles, as there are just as many people who think they should just keep on deceiving them, those who want to stop being secretive, but don't think muggles should be harmed, and those who think that the wizard world should show their faces and that, maybe, someone will get hurt in the process, even though they don't really want it.

And that's just the stereotypically "good" side.

Last edited by Paradox on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Are you saying that things like good and evil are complicated? :o

Seriously though, you've reminded me of an old poem:

There is so much good in the worst of us
And so much bad in the best of us
That it ill behooves any of us
To look down upon the rest of us.

I think the author was single most quoted poet in human history... a creature by the name of Anonymous.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:12 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Are you saying that things like good and evil are complicated? :o

Seriously though, you've reminded me of an old poem:

There is so much good in the worst of us
And so much bad in the best of us
That it ill behooves any of us
To look down upon the rest of us.

I think the author was single most quoted poet in human history... a creature by the name of Anonymous.

Yeah...

He got considerably less compassionate.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 am

*gasps in astonishment* Did you know there's dicks on that website?

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:02 am

In every sense of the word, yes.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Absentia » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:54 am

"Deserve" might not have been exactly the right word, but the unfortunate truth is that people who can't see through transparent sales pitches are going to get taken advantage of, legally or illegally, and I can't muster up a rage boner every time an irresponsible person wastes their money on something. My point is that what Oz is doing crosses the line from sleazy salesmanship to serious, life-and-death harm.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:55 am

Absentia wrote:My point is that what Oz is doing crosses the line from sleazy salesmanship to serious, life-and-death harm.

On this much, we can definitely agree. Thank you for your clarification!

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:27 am

Some people do make it hard to feel sorry for them. There used to be a guy who would aggressively hit on me, and offer to buy me anything I thought of maybe cogitate wishing. Like, one day I complained that my notebook would overheat a lot. He offered to buy me a new one.

That made me really uncomfortable. Eventually, we parted ways.

Last I heard of him, he found a girlfriend, and broke up a year later saying she's "a fucking gold digger".

Now, tell me, what kind of woman can he expect to attract? I don't think he deserved it, or that she's right or anything. Just that it isn't, at all, unexpected.

Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:35 am

Paradox wrote:Some people do make it hard to feel sorry for them. There used to be a guy who would aggressively hit on me, and offer to buy me anything I thought of maybe cogitate wishing. Like, one day I complained that my notebook would overheat a lot. He offered to buy me a new one.

Last I heard of him, he found a girlfriend, and broke up a year later saying she's "a fucking gold digger".

Now, tell me, what kind of woman can he expect to attract? I don't think he deserved it, or that she's right or anything. Just that it isn't, at all, unexpected.

Soooo are you saying you're single.

*combs back hair*

I just want you to know im to poor to buy you the world but not poor enougb to buy you a piece of candy everyday. Oh an also something having a meaningful connection with you or something.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:03 am

Cobra-D wrote:
Paradox wrote:Some people do make it hard to feel sorry for them. There used to be a guy who would aggressively hit on me, and offer to buy me anything I thought of maybe cogitate wishing. Like, one day I complained that my notebook would overheat a lot. He offered to buy me a new one.

Soooo are you saying you're single.

*combs back hair*

I just want you to know im to poor to buy you the world but not poor enougb to buy you a piece of candy everyday. Oh an also something having a meaningful connection with you or something.

You're also evidently too poor to spell without typos.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

PreviousNext