5 Ways Dr. Oz Is Even Crazier Than You Realize

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 5 Ways Dr. Oz Is Even Crazier Than You Realize

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:50 pm

Cher, can you do an article about Andrew Wakefield next? He's arguably worse than Dr. Oz.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:56 pm

I think John Oliver did a great job tearing this quack apart:

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:16 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:02 am

DamianaRaven wrote:I think John Oliver did a great job tearing this quack apart:

When DOESN'T John Oliver do a good job tearing someone apart?

Anyways, the article...I skimmed it. Doctor Oz just isn't worth my time, to be honest. He's a quack, he's a liar, and he's Greek, I cannot really add more to that description. I don't hate him, I just...pity him, I guess.

Now Andrew Wakefield, I hate with the passion of a million exploding stars, and he's arguably WORSE. I mean, since when has Dr. Oz started a conspiracy theory about Big Pharma?

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Popinki » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 am

Matthew Notch wrote:Okay, I'm sure there's plenty to complain about with Dr. Oz. After all, he's in the media, same as anybody who might have an audience willing to listen to him. But I'm kind of put out with the almost troped "Dr. Oz is a quack" rhetoric I see on the damn internet these days. Look, I have no love for the man, I'm not a fan of his by any means, nor do I buy wholesale into "naturopathic" medicine. But Dr. Oz is a legit doctor. He successfully performs hundreds of surgeries every year. He's won awards for being a good doctor, for crying out loud.

If the Gizzard of Oz is an easy target, it's because he's made himself one. Sure, if I'm rushed to the hospital with congestive heart failure and he performs the operation that saves my life, I will without reservation admit that the man knows his way around an aorta. If I go to him for heart palpitations and he recommends treating it with acai juice and lucid dreaming, I'm going to walk out and go to a real doctor, thank you.

Let's borrow Tom Cruise for a moment. He's a legit actor. He's been the headliner of a squajillion big-budget films and has won awards for doing so. Doesn't make $cientology any less bullshit.

Or Donald tRump. Real estate tycoon and definite champion at getting his name out there. Hate him or loathe him, he's got his name on more buildings than anyone else. Has otherwise sane people hanging on his every word. Doesn't make the birthers' crackpot theories true.

Crap is crap no matter the asshole it comes from.

I just think dismissing it out of hand neglects the fact that all medicine is alternative medicine until clinical trials establish and a board of doctors certify it as... um, "real" medicine I guess.

Keeping an open mind doesn't mean constantly picking your brain up off the sidewalk. The woo brigade keeps espousing theories that have been debunked time and time again by clinical trials and boards of doctors. They are overpriced ineffective nonsense at best (homeopathic remedies, alkaline water, reiki) and potentially fatal at worst either because the therapy itself is dangerous (chelation therapy) or because the people who buy into this quackery forget that natural does not equal safe.

People like Dr. Schnoz, when endorsing this quackery, make people think it's legit because of their titles and credentials, and are turning people away from getting safe and effective pharmaceutical treatment and making them suffer by so doing. That's quackery in my book.

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:32 am

Popinki wrote:the Gizzard of Oz

Popinki wrote:$cientology

Popinki wrote:Donald tRump.

Popinki wrote:Dr. Schnoz

I know there aren't any rules against it, but I'd appreciate if we could keep the childish name-calling to a minimum.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Cobra-D » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:50 am

Andropov4 wrote:
Popinki wrote:the Gizzard of Oz

Popinki wrote:$cientology

Popinki wrote:Donald tRump.

Popinki wrote:Dr. Schnoz

I know there aren't any rules against it, but I'd appreciate if we could keep the childish name-calling to a minimum.

I agree, we shouldn't use childish name-calling. We should be using more adult name-calling.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:53 am

Does cock-gobbler count as adult or childish?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:56 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Does cock-gobbler count as adult or childish?

I don't know many children who use cock-gobbler, so...adult?

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:23 am

Hey. There's one thing good about Dr.Oz. He's the only Oprah approved doctor who actually earned his doctorate.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:45 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Hey. There's one thing good about Dr.Oz. He's the only Oprah approved doctor who actually earned his doctorate.

But what about Dr. Jenny McCarthy of the University of Google?

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:58 am

Andropov4 wrote:I know there aren't any rules against it, but I'd appreciate if we could keep the childish name-calling to a minimum.

10801824_1041484929210777_8329721579864211214_n.jpg
10801824_1041484929210777_8329721579864211214_n.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 3659 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:09 am

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:41 am

JamishT wrote:I got like the #5 top comment on there, I'm happy!

Okay I'm not that shallow, I think that homeopathic medicine is a real danger, and it's sad how many people buy into complete crap. It's even more sad that there's not a lot you can say to persuade them otherwise.

Other than not working and being a complete scam, the worst thing about homeopathetic medicine is how it is usually way more expensive than an over the counter medicine that does work. I have a really, really bad back. I will wake up every morning and not be able to get up. So I'm looking at stuff and I see something that sounds like it will help until I see it says homeopathic. It was about $25 for a months supply. I then see something called Bacacin or something like that. It was $4. I take the Bacacin before bed and the next morning, i can get up! The pain is nowhere near as bad. It worked. Because it had medicine in it, not a drop of medicine in all of the water in the universe then shared by every grain of sand on earth then split 20 times and put in pill form.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby Australia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:51 am

Bacacin always makes me feel better. I've never officially had it but I have taken a bacon vacation and I assume that's how it's pronounced.

Andropov4 wrote:I know there aren't any rules against it, but I'd appreciate if we could keep the childish name-calling to a minimum.

The Povert is right. We should only attack with sticks and stones. Words are futile.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

PreviousNext