5 Outdated Myths Everyone Still Believes About Bisexuality

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 5 Outdated Myths Everyone Still Believes About Bisexuali

Postby AboveGL » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:23 am

DamianaRaven wrote:I think androgyny is quite beautiful. Effeminate men and butch women are both very attractive to me.

Agreed, though I'm primarily attracted to femininity more. I have a strong gay thing for feminine guys.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:34 am

I thought I was bisexual, but apparently it turns out I am pansexual. I don't really care about the gender, I'm just attracted to certain people. If it clicks, it doesn't matter what gender they are and their genitals don't really play a factor in it all.

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby ShuaiGuy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:56 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:06 am

Seems like society could save itself a lot of collective distress if we just ditched the labels and everybody just dated, screwed, and/or married whatever consenting adult they damn well pleased without worrying about whether they were straying from the box they were supposed to be in. Too bad the real world can't be that rational.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 am

This is how I view sexuality.

We make sets of things, that's what we do. Part of being human, or indeed, a living thing, is deciding what goes where. This does occasionally cause problems, especially when we deal with fluidity. Consider the following image.

Spoiler: show

So you have these binary sexual orientations. Attraction to men, attraction to women. And those set up on opposing sides of the sexual spectrum. Then, everything between those sets just becomes some combination of both.

The problem is, the two major sets, while they may contain the largest population, only have one defining attribute. The middle is fluid. So people start to make sets out of the middle.

Spoiler: show

Every-time you make a set in a fluid, but bounded, category, you create outliers that then have to be placed in another set, and also you overlap other sets. This introduces a lot of complexity.

The simple answer is, just accept that the binary sets are a false categorization. There are people who just like women, and people who just like men, but they don't bound everyone else. Everyone exists in a range, not a point.

I don't think that will happen soon, if at all though. Especially now, when communities are much larger because of the internet, and finding a mate often requires parsing through a great deal of information. While the increasing number of sets causes confusion, not having any tags is chaos.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Australia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:07 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Penises are awesome for 3.42 purposes, but thinking is not one of them!

As a dick, I take great offense to this. I've got more brains than any of youse.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Paradox » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Also, "likes women" and "likes men" is extremely generalizing. I mostly like men with certain characteristics. Just as it's unlikely I'll fall for a woman, it's unlikely (not not impossible), that I'll fall for a man outside of those features.

Sexuality is less of a binary thing and more of a wheel of fortune with nearly infinite options.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby gorillathehun » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Everyone seems to think "heteroflexible" is a stupid word, but I think it can fit for situations like this.

I'd pictured "heteroflexible" as something like prison lovin' or what Christopher Hitchens describes in the all-boy prep schools he went to. A group of people who are otherwise straight on the outside being more "flexible" due to the situation.

"Negative. I am a meat popsicle." - Corbin Dallas
gorillathehun
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:50 pm

ShuaiGuy wrote:I only came by to experiment with this thread.

So you're saying that you're...threaderoflexible?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Crimson847 wrote:
ShuaiGuy wrote:I only came by to experiment with this thread.

So you're saying that you're...threaderoflexible?

Hethreadoflexible.

Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:30 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 am

Tesseracts wrote:Yeah I hate to admit it but that is a real phenomenon. There are people who pretend to be bisexual for some ulterior motive.

I believe a big part of the reason so many gays are biphobic is because a lot of gays have a history of being a pretend bisexual. They "come out" as bi because they're afraid to be gay. Later they eventually come out as gay but they assume all bisexuals are lying.

Alternatively, sometimes a genuine bisexual is pressured into choosing a side. According to the Kinsey scale most people must be capable of attraction to both genders.

Hey, like Elton John!

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby skooma » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:06 am

I love the word and idea of pansexual; I just found out about it, as someone I'd met as a lesbian is now pansexual. It's a great idea for both societal and individual levels of openness, and getting rid of labels. I remain pretty well straight, and having been around gay people a lot in my 20s, that always made me feel left out and boring. Well, I'm over it now, but it's never occurred to me that trans men aren't great - actually I'd tend to suspect anyone's who's been a woman would be a better man. I rarely find women interesting, but if I do, it's the masculine energy.

Yeah, could have stopped at how cool is pansexual, but I guess I'm not all over being tired of labelled boring old straight, and this kind of semantic evolution can improve our thinking and openness, which is word I like for relating to human beings and life in general. We need more openness and fluidity for like, everything, and this is a fine and obviously very important place to start.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby Jack Road » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:52 am

Paradox wrote:Also, "likes women" and "likes men" is extremely generalizing. I mostly like men with certain characteristics. Just as it's unlikely I'll fall for a woman, it's unlikely (not not impossible), that I'll fall for a man outside of those features.

Sexuality is less of a binary thing and more of a wheel of fortune with nearly infinite options.

I feel like you are just describing attraction within a sexual preference. Hopefully. Otherwise things are going to get complicated. People will start carrying around venn diagrams.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:55 am

Jack Road wrote:
Paradox wrote:Also, "likes women" and "likes men" is extremely generalizing. I mostly like men with certain characteristics. Just as it's unlikely I'll fall for a woman, it's unlikely (not not impossible), that I'll fall for a man outside of those features.

I feel like you are just describing attraction within a sexual preference. Hopefully. Otherwise things are going to get complicated. People will start carrying around venn diagrams.

Eh, I know people can nitpick a lot *points to dog fucking thread*, but we could really all just accept that sexuality is more fluid and wide than we expect it to.

Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

PreviousNext