5 Ethical Questions On Posting Photos Of Strangers Online

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 5 Ethical Questions On Posting Photos Of Strangers Onlin

Postby JamishT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 pm

My thoughts on strangers taking pictures of me in public doing whatever I do: I don't care one bit. The chance that I'm doing something stupid/illegal/fireable is slim to none. If I become a meme, that's great. I don't care if it's a "stupid/jerk/whatever guy" meme. It's a meme, and I'm pretty sure people know that meme's aren't an actual reflection of the person in the picture.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby TwoSheds » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:47 pm

JamishT wrote:It's a meme, and I'm pretty sure people know that meme's aren't an actual reflection of the person in the picture.

Scumbag Steve's experience says otherwise, unfortunately.

http://knowyourmeme.com/blog/interviews ... mbag-steve

Scumbag Steve wrote:I guess people can’t separate the meme from the real me in some cases. Like people got my name, my phone, my Facebook, started callin’. Callin’ me all kind of racist shit, callin’ my girl and my family all hours of the night. Some asshole put up an ultrasound picture of my unborn kid and wished it would die. How fucked is that? My girl cried all night. She felt molested by that. Lot of racist shit being said, lot of haters. But truth is man, even with d-bags like that, I have it good really cuz I’ve got my family and my friends who know me. And no one can break that.

Fire up the tulley toggle.
TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Maestro

Postby Popinki » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:01 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
ghijkmnop wrote:As a human being, nobody has a right to know anything about me without my allowing it first.

However, if you are in public, you are allowing anyone at all to see you and see what you're doing.

Yes but, if I'm running into Home Depot to buy trimmer line for the weed whacker and I'm wearing a junky t-shirt and shorts and sneakers with grass stains on them, someone might mentally laugh at me for looking like a walking rag bag. That wouldn't bother me, because I made the choice to go out looking like that instead of cleaning up first.

But if someone took my picture and stuck it on the internet with a snotty caption I'd be aggravated, because I didn't choose that.

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Popinki wrote:But if someone took my picture and stuck it on the internet with a snotty caption I'd be aggravated, because I didn't choose that.

Yes, if someone did that, they'd be a dick. And you'd have every right to be upset. But I'm not certain that it absolutely qualifies as a breach of your basic human rights. That's all I was saying.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:58 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:It's what happens after the dickishness spreads, IMO. Everything is a slippery slope.

slippery_slope.jpg
slippery_slope.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 2946 times

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DjiboutiDan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:54 pm

What about people standing in the background of pictures I'm taking? Do I need to go through facebook and add black bars over everybody in every picture that isn't the focus of the picture?

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:02 pm

You only have to blur faces and logos if you're going to make a profit (and your self-sense of worth isn't a profit) of the picture. Otherwise it's considered open territory and while humanity can be horrible they're more often than not. Not giving a shit.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Cujos&Bits » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Last edited by Cujos&Bits on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cujos&Bits
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Considers replacing Ghijkmnop's head with Justin Beiber's and posting the photo on Instagram.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:16 am

Hey, if you don't want me posting photos of you online, you should really check your shower for hidden cameras more often.

but seriously
I think it depends on the context. A celebrity taking pictures of a nobody without their knowledge and posting it on Twitter? That's very iffy. Celebrities calling attention to private individuals is in general something which makes me oncomfortable.

On the other hand, when I think about pictures of strangers that I've posted online they've pretty much alway been either A. in crowded areas taken incidentally to the main subject, or B. taken with the subject's permission. You should expect that in public areas you might get your picture taken. And if someone asks to take your picture, you're welcome to refuse, but if you agree, you should expect it might end up online.

I had people ask to take my picture a lot in Korea, since fat white people are not an everyday sight. I'm also sure that I've ended up in a variety of pictures incidentally as a result of visits to tourist attractions. I suspect that in Korea, some people probably took pictures of me without my permission (considering how many asked), and considering the Asian attitudes towards obesity, may well have posted unflattering comments on Naver or Daum. Even if those pictures ended up as a sort of meme in English-language media, I wouldn't be really bothered.

Likewise, in Turkey some cute girls asked me to sing "Happy Birthday" on video. Of course I obliged, and if that video ever surfaces on the English speaking web, I'll be a bit embarrassed. But I was the one who agreed to sing a song on camera for unknown purposes; that's my cross to bear.

I think that the only thing that would bother me is if I discovered pictures of me sitting in the priority seating section of a Korean subway, with comments on the rudeness of foreigners. Since A. I hadn't noticed that it was priority seating, and B. in American people sit in priority seating until people who need it show up, such a picture would be taking my behavior out of context. But that feeds into my general hatred of people taking me out of context, and has almost nothing to do with people posting pictures they took of me without my knowledge.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:36 am

Generally speaking, I don't think people have a reasonable expectation of privacy in public. Paparazzi/stalker shit like taking pictures through someone's window is one thing; the person has a reasonable expectation that nobody will be able to see them inside their own house, even if that expectation turns out to be factually incorrect in a particular case.

By contrast, if you're on a crowded bus or street plenty of strangers are going to be able to see what you're doing anyway. If you do something foolish or embarrassing in that context, it's already going to be visible to a bunch of strangers and you know it. You also know that if your embarrassing experience is noteworthy to them, they might decide to tell their friends about it. Therefore, since you don't know who these people are friends with, you accept that such embarrassing incidents could potentially come back to haunt you later on.

Taking a picture changes none of these dynamics, and ultimately I can't think of any reason to care more about what a random person on the Internet thinks of me than I care about what a random person on the street thinks of me. If anything, I'd care more about looking foolish to someone in meatspace than in cyberspace.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Ribby » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:33 pm

"The chance that I'm doing something stupid/illegal/fireable is slim to none"

Actually as long as enough fucking morons get upset about it, then almost anything is fireable.

Remember that girl who ended up getting a guy fired because he made a funny comment about the piece of technology known as a 'dongle' to the friend standing next to him? And she decided to post a picture to shame him?

Pretty sure she suffered a fairly heavy online backlash for that and (maybe?) ended up fired too. I'd feel sorry for her, but I read about it and she still believes she was in the right to shame the first guy, apparently not perceiving the irony of her situation.

Personally, I think internet-shaming someone is DEFINITELY not okay and I would never do it in any situation. As has already been said- you don't know their circumstances. Besides, what makes you think you have the right to judge them and allow the whole world to judge them? You can judge them privately, you can even tell your friends about it later, but posting a picture for everyone to see? Just don't

Ribby
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext