6 Reasons Online Dating Will Never Lead To Love

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 6 Reasons Online Dating Will Never Lead To Love

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:32 am

@JackRoad:
I have no doubt that's the case; it's well-known that men are expected to do the pursuing. However I've only message women I have stuff in common with, and ask a few questions about that. Since when I was doing that I was still overweight (though far less than I am now; I could have been described as "chubby"), I'm not surprised that I got a lower response rate than the friend who also wrote intelligent, targeted messages but was tall, thin, and handsome. However he still got only one response in ten.

I should also emphasize that not talking about meeting immediately; I have never suggested meeting immediately. I'm talking about meeting at all. Generally, I suggest meeting after half a dozen or so messages, when we've established that we share interests in common. In short, out of almost threescore and ten messages I sent, I received three responses, two of which lead to conversations, and neither of them with women who were willing to meet. (Including the girls who were willing to share their real name with someone they met on Craigslist, that's 0 for 5.)

I will say that I love that OKCupid has the "would you ever consider meeting someone from OKCupid in real life?" question (and yes, I specifically remember it saying "would you ever consider") and that I can set the "no" and "maybe someday" options as unacceptable. Sadly though, I'm too fat and jobless to try dating for the time being, and I didn't discover that question until I was in Korea.

Last edited by cmsellers on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Jack Road » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 am

I'm not speaking specifically to you cmsellers, never fear. Just a general rant on my rapidly growing hatred and bitterness towards online dating.

And finding someone to love who loves me in general

Last edited by Jack Road on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:36 am

Jack Road wrote:I'm not speaking specifically to you cmsellers, never fear. Just a general rant on my rapidly growing hatred and bitterness towards online dating.

Well...
Gilbert and Sullivan wrote:If that is so,
Sing derry down derry!
It's evident, very,
Our tastes are one.
Away we'll go,
And merrily marry,
Nor tardily tarry
Till day is done!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:53 pm

On the subject of "men do the pursuing", I've seen some people claim that "women expect men to do all the pursuing and won't bother to do it themselves", but, in several cases, a few from my own experience, it seems like men get disinterested when the woman pursues.

And in almost all cases, it has a feeling of "if she took the initiative, she must be too easy".

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Paradox wrote:On the subject of "men do the pursuing", I've seen some people claim that "women expect men to do all the pursuing and won't bother to do it themselves", but, in several cases, a few from my own experience, it seems like men get disinterested when the woman pursues.

And in almost all cases, it has a feeling of "if she took the initiative, she must be too easy".

I have no doubt some, possibly most, men have this attitude. Those men are idiots.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Having the other person pursue is basically a prerequisite for me, because I'm completely unable to pick up "signals". My ex had to be really really obvious and then basically jump on me for me to realize that "hey, she might like me too!"

So yeah, I think this mentality of women being sluts if they try anything (or bitches if they do nothing, mind you), and the norm being for men to basically act like dogs in heat is very stupid, wrong and unhealthy. But it's become so ingrained that even people who don't like it and complain about it will never consider you an option if you don't act like expected.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Jack Road » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:33 am

Thankfully I have never been the type of person to stop doing something just because everyone else is doing something else. I've stated before that I'd stand against God if I found out He existed and I didn't like Him.

But my intense desire to reduce things to as simple as I possibly can has me wondering. Is the culture of men pursuing and women receiving or rejecting something that is nigh universal in all cultures? Like murder being wrong, or there being classes of wealth and/or power? Or is it just a part of Western Culture? Is it an inherent trait of humanity, something that seems cultural, but is actually something deeper?

Perhaps not the right thread for those musings.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:10 am

Kevin_Durant wrote:
NathanLoiselle wrote:So SilverMaple isn't a tree then? Does that mean I'm not really NathanLoiselle? Am I even here?

Of course not. You are a figment of my imagination just like the rest of you all are. My brain created you all to keep me sane in this dark, horrid, depressing world, but alas, it could not make you guys exist.

Lies... we all know that is not true because of that old quote made by some Greek philosopher.

"you think therefore I am"

Henceforth, we all exist and are not simply figments of your imagination...

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby rowdyrodimus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:36 pm

rowdyrodimus wrote:I don't know if dating sites work or not really. I'm on a few, but I never get anywhere with them. The big problem (besides never being able to afford the ones that charge you to message people and stuff) is that I really have no idea how to send a message that doesn't sound creepy (that and I'm ugly as hell IMO) but if I say go to a bar, I've had women proposing to me (the problem is, I don't really want a barfly as a girlfriend or wife). Maybe I just need to find out how to translate myself better in messages, get plastic surgery or get rich. One of those three things (or maybe all of them) will help my chances.

Irony: The day after I posted this, I accidentally got on Plenty of Fish by clicking an email and there were a lot of messages. One of them saw me on and sent me an IM. Turns out she is amazingly awesome, cute as hell and really likes me (she knows of me through my ex-sister-in-law who is still like a sister to me). So hey, never give up, you never know when the universe will deal you a new card for your hand.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby PSTN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:47 am

I've never used a dating website, and I don't think I ever could, the whole thing just seems too "forced" to me. I don't think I could ever really get into a comfortable mindset where I could display my good qualities like, uh... um...

Besides, I don't actually know how dating is supposed to work. With my first girlfriend, the fact that she was a recovering crack addict played heavily into how we got together in the first place, and my second relationship started because she wanted out of her engagement and figured cheating on her fiance was the best way to go about it.

However, if I ever do join a dating website, I have the perfect picture. It's from a couple years ago, but I've actually lost weight since then. I think the clown paint will show that I'm a humorous guy, and my nudity will show that I've got a sensual side, and all the blood on me really says "I'm the kind of guy who has been in at least one clown blood-orgy."

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Paradox » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Nothing can ever be more sexy than a guy who'd been to one clown-blood orgy.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby PSTN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Paradox wrote:Nothing can ever be more sexy than a guy who'd been to one clown-blood orgy.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Re: Online Dating Article

Postby CommanderRidley » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:02 am

CommanderRidley wrote:Yeah I agree with the premise that finding love on dating sites is very difficult. Just like in real life, you're more likely to find people you connect with while doing things that you enjoy doing than at a "singles club". I know quite a few people who have met their significant others while playing online RPGs, music forums or other groups, but I know absolutely nobody in a lasting relationship that met over online dating - not that it can't work, but I think for a younger, straight age-bracket it's pretty unlikely.

By the way, about a week after I wrote this I met up with somebody I met from an online dating website and we've been going out almost a month now and it's shaping up to be one of if not the best relationship I've ever been in.

So I guess this means... uh...

rowdyrodimus wrote:Irony: The day after I posted this, I accidentally got on Plenty of Fish by clicking an email and there were a lot of messages. One of them saw me on and sent me an IM. Turns out she is amazingly awesome, cute as hell and really likes me (she knows of me through my ex-sister-in-law who is still like a sister to me). So hey, never give up, you never know when the universe will deal you a new card for your hand.

Oh shit looks like I'm not the only one who's eating his words on this :lol:

CommanderRidley
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Commander

Postby LegionofShrooms » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:26 am

LaChaise wrote:Having the other person pursue is basically a prerequisite for me, because I'm completely unable to pick up "signals". My ex had to be really really obvious and then basically jump on me for me to realize that "hey, she might like me too!"

Oh thank god it's not just me.

My wife practically had to beat me over the head with the fact that she liked me. Apparently I was a bit of an idiot when it comes to social cues regarding flirting and relationships. I probably still am, but that is mercifully behind me as these days I'm happily taken and could frankly give a rat's ass about whether or not any other women are interested in me.

But yeah. I was a social idiot. My way of getting her to meet me so that I could ask her if she'd go on a date with me after we'd shared our first kiss? Sending her a text that said "We need to talk". She spent the whole day flipping the fuck out before we met thinking I was going to tell her I wasn't interested.

Man I was dense -____-

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Previous