6 Things You Learn Getting Paid To Troll People Online

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 6 Things You Learn Getting Paid To Troll People Online

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed May 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Nullbert wrote:
EDIT: Holy shit! Five replies in the minute of time I spent on my post!
EDIT 2: Six replies.

Well, that's what happens when you waste time *shudders* actually thinking of things!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Wed May 27, 2015 7:30 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:Cached pages are not against the law, and it's not screwing over Cracked to simply not go to their website.

It is, however, screwing over Cracked to deliberately read their content using a method that deprives them of ad revenue and page views, right? I can't imagine you'd feel the same if, one day, TCS got ads and became a fully-fledged business and then people starting caching articles in the same way.

If people really, really don't want to give Cracked any pageviews, that's fine. However, the trade-off is that they can't read the article in question.

I realize the rules about what is acceptable for a TCSer to do to Cracked have always been somewhat hazy. I don't want this to be an anti-Cracked site or a hate site. I've seen where too much anti-Cracked vitriol goes, and I don't like it. Gaze to long into internet trolling, and the internet trolling also gazes into you.

At the same time, I'm totally in favor of free speech. If someone has a problem with something, they should be able to say so.

One of the rules here is not to link to piracy. A cached page does not fall under the category of piracy. If people read the cached pages of TCS to avoid giving us ad revenue, I of course would not like that, but I wouldn't have any legal recourse.

I also wouldn't really blame them for doing that if I had written an article saying "haha, you hate me and your hate makes me money, P.S. I'm rich." You know what it's called when somebody on the internet takes your money in exchange for giving you nothing of value in return? A scam. An article such as this is morally ambiguous at best, in my opinion. It's like "click here to get a free ipad" only instead of "free ipad" it's "free entertainment," only instead of entertainment it's an article which says "you just gave me money and you suck" and literally nothing else.

I can understand why it would seem unfair that people can read Cracked without Cracked receiving any revenue from the people reading the content their writers created. However, cached pages have been a feature of the internet since forever. It's not against the law, and it's a fact of how the internet works.

This is why some people in the entertainment business choose not to rely on clicks alone for their livelihood. Some websites encourage fans to remain loyal. Showing loyalty to fans is a good way to make sure they're willing to give you their precious money.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby thatindianguy » Wed May 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Eh I still wouldn't do it. If for no other reason than for that sweet sweet sense of smugness that vows from rising above somebody.

Mm. Feel that?

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed May 27, 2015 7:46 pm

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 27, 2015 7:47 pm

Tessie, so like Linkara? Remember, he respectfully told his fans why he needed them to quit using adblockers, and (most) of them complied. Cracked should be doing the same thing towards their readers instead of...well, what they do now.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby gisambards » Wed May 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Amid all the hatred, I think we're losing sight of something here:

Nicholas Pell is really good at pissing people off. Seriously.

I mean, take this article. Ignore all the other implications (Cracked not caring about its readers, Cracked ignoring perfectly good workshop articles for this drivel, etc.). Even if you knew exactly what you were getting into, you would hate the shit out of this guy.
For example:
Nicholas Pell wrote:Truth told, being a dick is one of the few things I'm good at. And if you know anything about economics, you know that society benefits most from people doing what they do best. You keep making my lattes, and I'll keep being a jerk on the Internet and wearing outfits that cost more than your car.

He's lying. He's not rich. He's a freelance writer on the internet, whose only marketable skill is in thankfully short demand. I know this. Also, that line shouldn't annoy me, because, well, you know, I'm really well-off myself.
But besides all that - knowing he's doing it to annoy me, and it not being applicable in my situation - I want to punch him in the face. I'm not saying I would, I am saying that is my literal gut reaction to that line. It, like so much of the rest of the article, is perfectly phrased to be annoying as hell.
Or, look at this, from the hipster article:
Nicholas Pell wrote:And by this point, basically everyone who read this hates me. That's fine with me. Because I know that if we met you'd shake my hand and we'd made eye contact. I'd start bantering and bullshitting and you'd be laughing at my jokes and buying me rounds. You'd tell me how much you love my mustache and ask me if I knew what was playing on the jukebox.

Gaahh! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahgh!!!! No matter how rationally I try to look at this, I feel a twinge of hatred in my heart every time I read it.
Nicholas Pell is really good at what he does, is my point, and I guess there's some sort of credit he should be given for that. For all we know, he might not even be that much of a dick - he's just really good at coming across as one.
That said, good at it or not, I'd really rather he didn't do it. Ever. Though I think his appearance says more about the website using his services.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed May 27, 2015 8:07 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:Tessie, so like Linkara? Remember, he respectfully told his fans why he needed them to quit using adblockers, and (most) of them complied. Cracked should be doing the same thing towards their readers instead of...well, what they do now.

I certainly prefer it when websites nicely ask internetters not to use adblock. "Support us because I work hard and the ads pay my bills" is a more compelling message than "support us or we'll ban you and we have tons of people to replace you anyway because our readers are disposable click-robots."

gisambards wrote:
Nicholas Pell wrote:Truth told, being a dick is one of the few things I'm good at. And if you know anything about economics, you know that society benefits most from people doing what they do best. You keep making my lattes, and I'll keep being a jerk on the Internet and wearing outfits that cost more than your car.

He's lying. He's not rich. He's a freelance writer on the internet, whose only marketable skill is in thankfully short demand. I know this. Also, that line shouldn't annoy me, because, well, you know, I'm really well-off myself.

Plenty of people with no skills to speak of have rich parents.

Anyway, I don't really care if he's actually rich or not. Somebody who goes around saying "look at me, stupid poor people, I'm rich" is just as much of a blowhard whether they genuinely are or are not rich.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Wed May 27, 2015 8:22 pm

I'll be honest, I've never used cached pages but I have used donotlink.com to link to things I wanted people to see-normally stuff like whale.to

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 27, 2015 8:23 pm

At least the author didn't get away with killing people with his reckless driving like that one guy from that photoplasty.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby blastfemur » Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Hey folks, just popped over here from PWOT and the actual comment section thanks to The Bear Jew. I guess I'm technically responsible for getting the article locked as a topic over at PWOT. Seems like most of you avoid that place and for good reason. Just thought I'd add that the moderators that did chime in at PWOT made it pretty clear that this "article" was purely flame bait. They avoided answering questions, got defensive, and locked the topic without much provocation.

You guys are doing great work here. Cheers!

blastfemur
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: 80085

Postby thatindianguy » Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 pm

Way to have standards Adric.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby TwoSheds » Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 pm

gisambards wrote: Nicholas Pell is really good at pissing people off. Seriously.

As someone in the comments on the original article said, that really isn't a very impressive feat. All you really have to do is make a seemingly sincere claim about something deplorable - deny the Holocaust if you want to be obvious or talk about how the Armenians had it coming if you want to be less obvious - and there you are, instant hatred.

Yes, he managed to make a lot of people mad, but that's really not something that takes a lot of time to perfect.

I'm more confused as to why, business-wise, Cracked wanted this on their site. From what I can tell, the articles that garner the most views are the ones that make compelling, thoughtful points, like the 6 Harsh Truths article (regardless of whether or not you agree with the message, many people did and it was very widely shared) or that tell a particularly unique, interesting story like Robert Evans' articles.

Generating some controversy can work, such as with Gamergate, but that was an issue that was already a hot topic at the time. This is more along the lines of something ATB used to write, but ATB was somewhat funny and had an odd charm when he did it. Nicholas Pell's first article wasn't particularly funny and thus didn't garner nearly the views that ATB's trolly articles did. I just don't understand the point of it.

Fire up the tulley toggle.
TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Maestro

Postby Crimson847 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:It is, however, screwing over Cracked to deliberately read their content using a method that deprives them of ad revenue and page views, right?

Personally, I have no problem giving Cracked pageviews if the content I'm reading is good, or at least a legitimate attempt at good content. However, if the article in question is essentially an announcement that they are scamming their readers (as some have suggested), I should like to read it so I know not to visit the site anymore. That said, I'm not paying them (directly or indirectly) to read such an announcement, because I don't want to reward bad behavior.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Gendry » Wed May 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks for the link, Tess. I normally wouldn't condone linking to cached pages, but for an article where Cracked specifically states their disregard for the opinion of their readers because they still get views, I thought I would make an exception.

Australia wrote:

I played an "Mmm Whatcha Say" soundbyte that I had on my phone when someone tripped on a chair in my physics class. Most people didn't get it, but the three or four who did were incapacitated for the rest of class :P

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Gendry
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: King of the Andals

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Wed May 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Crimson847 wrote:
archaeologydalek wrote:It is, however, screwing over Cracked to deliberately read their content using a method that deprives them of ad revenue and page views, right?

Personally, I have no problem giving Cracked pageviews if the content I'm reading is good, or at least a legitimate attempt at good content. However, if the article in question is essentially an announcement that they are scamming their readers (as some have suggested), I should like to read it so I know not to visit the site anymore. That said, I'm not paying them (directly or indirectly) to read such an announcement, because I don't want to reward bad behavior.

You are not really paying them at all. With scams, you wouldn't have engaged in an activity/consumed a product had you known what you were getting. A person who goes the route of using the article archive is saying they want to expend the exact same effort to read the article but just make sure Cracked doesn't get paid. It's not that Cracked is offering a product you wouldn't use because if you read it for the purposes of hating it, you're still using the service for one of its intended purposes, since the idea is to read the article. In fact, in the case of this trolling article, it's literally giving you what it promises.

I mean sure, it's absolutely your right if you want to do this. But I don't think the scam argument really works, and I do have to agree that it seems more about screwing Cracked out of revenue than not being duped into reading something you otherwise wouldn't. Otherwise, I'm guessing you wouldn't read it.

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

PreviousNext