5 Helpful Answers To Society's Most Uncomfortable Questions

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 5 Helpful Answers To Society's Most Uncomfortable Questi

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 20, 2015 12:10 am

sunglasses wrote:
OrangeEyebrows wrote:A Martian stole your car? Why haven't we seen a personal experience article about that yet?!

Jeckel wrote:Some people will jump through whatever mental hoops they can so as to justify their own racism while still holding onto their perceived moral highground and Wong is the king of that ilk.

I'm not Wong's greatest fan. I don't like the way he runs PWoT, or aspects of the community he's fostered there. I do think he's a good writer, maybe really good when it comes to fiction; I also think his opinion of his own social insight is a little too high. I don't know him on any personal level - those opinions come purely from his writing on Cracked and his presence on PWoT. So...there are my cards on the table. But I've never had the impression that he's racist. Why do you think so?

I don't think he was calling him a racist but rather talking about how someone who is a racist will defend it to their dying breath. At least, that was my perception.

Well that describes a good chunk of Chipley, Florida.

OK sorry, off topic. Let us never speak of that again.
*Big Lipped Alligator Moment!*
Article discussion continues in
I realize now why I don't like Wong's style: he's too confrontational and in your face. Granted, in certain articles it works to his advantage (the one about rich people, for example. TV Tropes calls it an example of anvils needing to be dropped). But in articles like this, where I get kinda lost reading and skim parts of it, his style doesn't work.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Wed May 20, 2015 12:26 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:
Fun With Mr. Fudge wrote:...is there not some implicit blame in saying that someone is responsible for fixing a problem if we assume that the person is not actively working to fix it? I don’t mean blame for the existence of the problem but for its continuation. I'm not saying that would be a good or bad thing to suggest, but as I think about it, I question the responsibility/blame distinction in the article.

(Sorry to choose bits and pieces of your posts - please let me know if I'm missing an important argument or connection by doing so.)

So...I'm not responsible for the snow, but if I'm not actively working to fix it by salting the pavements, I'm still responsible, to some extent, for the little old lady who slips on the ice, right? I don't mean you're saying that. I mean according to your assessment of the responsibility/blame distinction in the article.

I think it would be fair to read it that way. The problem is that this idea wasn't fleshed out enough for me to be entirely sure if that's what Wong means. I won't be too critical on that point, though, since Cracked articles can only be but so long, and addressing points this major could need pages and pages to be expounded on clearly and effectively. Also, no apologies needed, and thanks for asking.

AdricDePsycho wrote:Jeez, we're getting all sorts of writers from Cracked now! Welcome, mind the traps, no double posting (or Tessie will call you filth), and remember to drink your ovaltine. By the way, what articles have you written, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. I don't mind you asking, though I often have difficulty answering that question. To date there are 26 published Cracked articles with my name on it (a combination of co-writes and individual pieces), though these days author profile pages only list the 10 most recent articles. The thing is some of them are heavily edited even to the point of holding different opinions to my own, some are halfway mine (in terms of wording/ideas), and a couple were largely unchanged. In that sense, I don't know how many of them are fair to call "my" articles, even though I can at least take credit for researching the material and writing the basis (inspiration?) for the final version for all of the entries I was involved in. So I will give you a series to choose from.

My most recent article, which was heavily edited: http://www.cracked.com/article_22414_5- ... image.html

The article I am most proud of (both because it is my best performing article and because the wording went largely unchanged): http://www.cracked.com/article_21059_6- ... oyees.html

My first single author piece, which contains a lot of my original wording but just didn't do very well when it first came out: http://www.cracked.com/article_20664_5- ... ourts.html

And my worst performing article, a co-write, was this one: http://www.cracked.com/article_20821_5- ... gimes.html

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed May 20, 2015 12:36 am

Jesus, Fudge, you're a powerhouse. Where is your secret stash of surprising trivia? I know you have one!

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 20, 2015 12:39 am

Wait, you're A.C. Grimes? Dude, I fucking LOVE your articles! You, Daniel Dockery, and Zacary Frey are some of my current favorites from the non-coloumnist side of the site. And your worst performing article, in my opinion, was actually pretty good, but ya know, different strokes. Hope you like it here.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed May 20, 2015 12:42 am

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Wed May 20, 2015 12:57 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:Jesus, Fudge, you're a powerhouse. Where is your secret stash of surprising trivia? I know you have one!

Funny enough, I am not very good at trivia. But I'm pretty good at remembering/saving random articles I find interesting and then just Googling stuff I think seems similar. And I'm great at having too much free time.

AdricDePsycho wrote:Wait, you're A.C. Grimes? Dude, I fucking LOVE your articles! You, Daniel Dockery, and Zacary Frey are some of my current favorites from the non-coloumnist side of the site. And your worst performing article, in my opinion, was actually pretty good, but ya know, different strokes. Hope you like it here.

Thanks. That means a lot. As a producer of content I always hope that any given article with my name on it at least made someone smile or think. And also that I didn't have an epic brain fart while writing/researching it.

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby CultofZoidberg » Wed May 20, 2015 1:25 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-helpful-answers-to-societys-most-uncomfortable-questions/

Uh...I don't know what to make of this. I'm a bit in the middle, but leaning towards "did not like".

Can you repost an archived version?

CultofZoidberg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Hand of the King

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 20, 2015 1:27 am

I have no idea how to do that...

Uh, can someone lend a hand, please?

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CultofZoidberg » Wed May 20, 2015 1:31 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:I have no idea how to do that...

I think this does it http://web.archive.org/web/201505191507 ... questions/

The idea is to get the info but not encourage him to write this by giving page views (assuming I did it correctly). It's a sort of way around that whole problem on the internet of how to comment on something you hate without causing the same effect as liking it and encouraging people to read it.

CultofZoidberg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed May 20, 2015 1:42 am

Last edited by FaceTheCitizen on Wed May 20, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 20, 2015 1:44 am

FaceTheCitizen wrote:
Fun With Mr. Fudge wrote:My most recent article, which was heavily edited: http://www.cracked.com/article_22414_5- ... image.html

Your last name is Grimes? Do you kill zombies in the South during your spare time?

No, he's Homer's Enemy.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CultofZoidberg » Wed May 20, 2015 1:48 am

CultofZoidberg wrote:

The idea is to get the info but not encourage him to write this by giving page views (assuming I did it correctly). It's a sort of way around that whole problem on the internet of how to comment on something you hate without causing the same effect as liking it and encouraging people to read it.

Also, to address the point Wong made in 5 and 3, I have no problem having a DISCUSSION about racism, sexism, trans-phobia, class-ism, I just don't like being spoken down to by white hetero-normative, cis-men, who make more money than me, who believe it is their mission to explain to me what an unenlightened douche I am when I came to their site to laugh. Particularly since they have no greater insight into these subjects than me.

If I wanted to get preached to, I'd start going to church again.

CultofZoidberg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 20, 2015 1:55 am

If I wanted to get preached, I would just walk up to someone in town and say I'm pro-gay marriage.

I live in the south, I should've led with that.

EDIT: Also, Mr. Grimes: http://www.cracked.com/article_21608_6- ... d-ass.html
This article of yours is my absolute favorite of your works. I swear, I almost cried the first time I read it, especially the last entry. The only gripe I have is that #6, if made into a movie, should have Mark Wahlberg and Neil Patrick Harris, not Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Wed May 20, 2015 3:56 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I really liked this one: http://www.cracked.com/article_21456_5- ... ophes.html

Sorry, I didn't catch this earlier. So I’ll thank you now and also say now that I realize I have in fact read some of your work (the "geniuses who were perverts" and "deadly fads" articles are the ones I best remember), I think you had some really fun ideas, and it's a shame Cracked lost you as a writer.

AdricDePsycho wrote:
FaceTheCitizen wrote:
Fun With Mr. Fudge wrote:My most recent article, which was heavily edited: http://www.cracked.com/article_22414_5- ... image.html

Your last name is Grimes? Do you kill zombies in the South during your spare time?

No, he's Homer's Enemy.

Wrong on both counts. Unfortunately, I'm just the plural of surface dirt.

CultofZoidberg wrote:
CultofZoidberg wrote:

Also, to address the point Wong made in 5 and 3, I have no problem having a DISCUSSION about racism, sexism, trans-phobia, class-ism, I just don't like being spoken down to by white hetero-normative, cis-men, who make more money than me, who believe it is their mission to explain to me what an unenlightened douche I am when I came to their site to laugh. Particularly since they have no greater insight into these subjects than me.

If I wanted to get preached to, I'd start going to church again.

I'm not white myself so I can't relate to this feeling directly. But I can say that sometimes I see how certain points/comparisons in these kinds of articles could be received negatively or how people might get stuck on them. For example, I could imagine someone responding to Wong's argument about inherited privilege with: "And what if the poor white guy of today is the descendant of one of America's poor white sharecroppers or an Irish railroad worker? What gets inherited, then? How many generations of being poor does it take to nullify one's historical adantages and resultant responsibility?"

When Wong says (and I'm paraphrasing) "you might get shot by a cop, but it won't be because of your race," I wonder how many white people reading that think to themselves, "How is being able to say 'at least the bullet that kills me probably won't be racist' supposed to make me see my advantages in life? You know I'm still dead in this scenario, right?"

Are these the kinds of points which irk you, or did you mean something else?

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Wed May 20, 2015 5:39 am

subotai wrote:"you'd have to be bigoted not to agree".

You forgot the immortal "disagree with this and you're just proving the point!" or "You're just in denial!"

I cannot destroy these comments or out-argue these sort of people on the internet. I am crushed under the weight of impotence.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext