5 Famous Musicians Who Need To Retire

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: 5 Famous Musicians Who Need To Retire

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue May 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Understood Dalek. It's kinda hard to get rid of my feelings towards Cracked. It's like a bad breakup, except she isn't seeing anyone, she just doesn't like you because she finds you annoying, and when you call her, she pretends not to know you, and you know she's lying, but you say "hey, whatever", and you wallow in depression for days, and...I lost whatever I was talking about.

Anyways, welcome Cher, and we'll work to curb our hate. It's not going to be easy, but it'll happen

Last edited by AdricDePsycho on Tue May 19, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby sunglasses » Tue May 19, 2015 2:59 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote: It's kinda hard to get rid of our feelings towards Cracked.

Not to be that person, but please don't speak for all of us. Thank you.

And dalek, very good points all around.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue May 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Fair point Sunny, I'm editing it. Although that felt a bit harsh.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kate » Tue May 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Those are good points, Dalek. And I think Adric's point is valid, a lot of us (like sunglasses said) have no animosity at all towards Cracked and genuinely love it without any bitterness, but then some of us still feel the sting. Something we loved lumped us in with the worst assholes and that can hurt.

Another thing is kind of related to what I said earlier; if someone referred to Rush Limbaugh or...ahem. Miley Cyrus. In a derogatory manner, they're public figures and while it might not be nice and they will probably get very few thumbs (okay let's be honest, bashing Rush Limbaugh here will probably get you all of the thumbs) and a little bit of disapproval they're not going to get modded for it. The same is true of someone like Pewdie Pie or Jenna Marbles.

We're not affiliated with Cracked, but it's where we all came from...so it's something that a lot of us will talk about and share opinions about, even strong opinions on why we don't like the author of a piece. The thing is, Miley Cyrus isn't going to show up here. Jenna Marbles isn't either. Cracked writers do show up sometimes. So this whole "it's okay to talk about people behind their backs, but not to their face" operating system breaks down there.

So...I don't know. I clearly don't like it when people talk like that about Cracked writers, don't get me wrong (I don't really like it when people talk that way about anyone, even though I've been guilty of it myself sometimes when blowing off steam). But I also feel weird about saying we can't talk that way, or that there should be an enforceable convention that we can't make the author the focus of a thread in here. It's a very thin line to walk and I'm still trying to figure out how I feel.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Don't worry Dalek, Cher, I'll always talk shit to your face. If I don't like something, I'll tell you. And if I do like something, well, I'll talk dirty to you.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue May 19, 2015 8:06 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Don't worry Dalek, Cher, I'll always talk shit to your face. If I don't like something, I'll tell you. And if I do like something, well, I'll talk dirty to you.

Poison fan, I take it?

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 pm

I suppose my take on this is that Miley Cyrus is highly unlikely to roll up to TCS and feel sad that people have been saying undeservedly nasty things about her, whereas there's a good chance Cracked contributors could ('cause they have and continue to). I know that when I joined, if I'd come across threads where people were attacking my character, I would have run away and never come back (Clearly I'm not as kickass as Cher). People saying, "Wow, she really didn't do her research for that article where she claimed Pluto was made of liver pate" would be one thing, but, "Jesus, does she even wake up to write this stuff or does someone just transcribe her nocturnal drooling?" would be another.

There's a bit of a weird relationship here because regular Cracked contributors, and especially the columnists, to some extent occupy the sector of our brain marked "Celebrities", with all the black-and-white thinking that comes along with - it's very easy to class celebrities as either minor gods or just completely awful, and because hurt feelings have been involved, it's even easier to do the latter. It's easy to forget they're complex human beings who, if we got to know them, we'd probably agree with, disagree with, find hilarious, find infuriating or find unutterably dull depending on the day and the topic at hand. Just like everyone else. Or, you know, in some particular cases we (as individuals, not as a TCS hive mind) might just dislike them. That happens.

The thing is, unless we keep that in mind when discussing Cracked, we might never get the opportunity to discover a new friend (or really exciting new nemesis), because not everybody has the grace or self-possession to shrug off thoughtless insults. So this isn't directed at anyone in particular - and definitely not at you, Adric, because I appreciate the effort you've made to reassess your way of thinking - but my take-away is that we need to be more thoughtful when discussing Cracked. "If the person I'm talking about were reading this, would they be hurt? And if they would, would hurting them be a fair response to this article they've written about Ten Mindblowing Facts About Cheese?"

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby gisambards » Tue May 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Personally, I think it goes without saying that we should be allowed to criticise Cracked articles in a reasonable manner if there's something in the article we take issue with - even if we're aware that the author is a member of the site.
However I think this criticism should only ever be reasonable, only ever to do with the article's content, and should not be insulting to the author.
See, even though I'm a member of the "still kind of wary about Cracked" crowd, I - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - find it genuinely uncomfortable when certain people on this forum (not naming names, you know who you are) get really insulting about the Cracked writers. So I'm all for putting a lid on that.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue May 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Oh don't worry, you're not alone. I'm not innocent in fanning the flames of hate, but I've been trying to curb it, like I've said. You can criticize, but don't spit too much bile at the wrong things. There is this internet critic who did a review of a particularly bad episode of Spongebob (I believe he calls himself Mr. Enter). He ended up greatly regretting it (to the point of taking the original review down and doing a redone version of it) because he crossed the line and showed tweets from the writer's Twitter. He's already well known (and very infamous) for being especially powerful with spewing bile over terrible episodes of cartoons, so he's taken steps to acknowledge his critics and tone down his style. I suggest we all do the same.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Wed May 20, 2015 12:25 am

Matthew Notch wrote:I honestly have no idea who Cher Martinetti is or why a bunch of folks are so intent on being mad at her personally, as if she killed everyone's dog or something. All I know is that a lot of comments directed toward her on this very site strike me as how many people acted with Christina H, and I mean not the death and rape threateners obviously, but like the people who would go on an entirely different article that had nothing to do with her and bash her. So it's nice when a writer is actually here to remind us of his or her humanity. We get sucked into an us vs. them game so often psychologically, and it doesn't help us OR them in any way, except that each side feels an artificial sense of superiority and moral uprightness. So Ms. Cher (Mrs. Cher? Whichever), if that's for reals you, thank you for joining. I hope your interactions with us are not limited to this thread. :)

I think some of the dislike got piled onto her cause her Cosby/Fat Albert Rape article came out almost immediately after that infamous Luke McKinney article that turned the comment section of every article on sexism from a shitstorm into a shit-typhoon. It was bad timing. I think if Gamergate and the Cosby rape allegations happened a year apart from each other, the reaction to her article would've been more mild.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 20, 2015 12:59 am

Well, the Cosby article was a bit poorly written (saying rape jokes aren't funny, then saying "this is how you rape wool"), but now that I think of it, it was after the shit-typhoon of McKinney's feminism article (and what I have nicknamed WongGate, because IndianGuyGate sounds dumb, and because WongGate sounds dirty. Yes I am terrible, so Gosh Darn you all).

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed May 20, 2015 1:59 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 20, 2015 2:51 am

Damn, really? Some asshole did that? Are you sure it wasn't a troll?

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed May 20, 2015 3:24 am

Yeah Eric. Where's FTC's money?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed May 20, 2015 3:58 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Yeah Eric. Where's FTC's money?

Bear betta have my money! Bear betta have my money!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext