5 Ugly Realities of Being a Cop

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Ugly Realities of Being a Cop

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:10 pm

This discussion is going to over just splendidly!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: 5 Ugly Realities of Being a Cop

Postby Masonator » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:31 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:This discussion is going to over just splendidly!

The article is fairly harmless, so I doubt it'll bring on too many critics. The first entry about 'lying because we have to' seemed like it was going to rustle some of my jimmies, but ended up just being the cops implying that they have the right to search your car before asking permission, or lying to some people about being arrested just so they could diffuse the situation, which is really no big deal and necessary in many instances. I thought it was gonna be a shitty justification for lying about probable cause or planting evidence or using the old "I smelled alcohol, they were driving erratically" boilerplate they include in every DUI.

The rest is just cops have drug problems, police departments have shitty budgets, and most cops don't use their guns, which is more of the 'no duh' variety. I would have actually preferred a more controversial article, since this one just seems kind of tame.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:59 pm

So far, the comments have been calm and reasonable - here's hoping that'll last. Controversy is entertaining, but it can get toxic when people are riled up about stuff like Baltimore and Ferguson.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:11 pm

The relationship between me and controversy is weird. Controversy is entertaining to some extent, but it's also painful. It kind of loses it's entertainment value when it's something I really care about. I am really upset about the Baltimore situation and about police brutality in general. My feelings on the matter drive me to comment on articles like this. I respond to people who say terrible things, because I'm upset. I get even more upset as a result. I keep doing this, yet ultimately, I don't enjoy being angry at people. I would much rather be understood for the point I'm trying to make than lose my cool and yell at someone. I don't know what that makes me. A victim of clickbait I guess.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I would much rather be understood for the point I'm trying to make than lose my cool and yell at someone. I don't know what that makes me. A victim of clickbait I guess.

I don't think so. In my opinion, a "clickbait victim" is someone who seeks out extreme and/or inflammatory headlines, whether or not they make any sense. Clicking on things you actually care about and then discussing points of contention with other readers is perfectly normal, even commendable sometimes. People should always feel free to speak their minds within the ancient, time-honored boundaries of Behave Yourself.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Mon May 04, 2015 4:40 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:I would much rather be understood for the point I'm trying to make than lose my cool and yell at someone. I don't know what that makes me. A victim of clickbait I guess.

I don't think so. In my opinion, a "clickbait victim" is someone who seeks out extreme and/or inflammatory headlines, whether or not they make any sense. Clicking on things you actually care about and then discussing points of contention with other readers is perfectly normal, even commendable sometimes. People should always feel free to speak their minds within the ancient, time-honored boundaries of Behave Yourself.

Eh, it's perfectly normal and commendable if it doesn't cause undue personal stress. Getting sucked into internet debate isn't exactly a healthy use of time if it's going to make you upset and waste time you could be spending on tasks that are better for your mental state. I kind of understand where Tesseracts is coming from.

I've begun forcing myself to not comment or click on topics that excessively irritate me (in general, not here on TCS!). I might have something germane to say, but I know it's going to leave me irritable and unhappy once it falls on deaf ears, and the internet is by-and-large a poor venue for constructive discussion.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep