Sexism In India

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Sexism In India

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:09 pm

If we could step back from the ken dolling for a minute I'm none too pleased with all the 'Show this to MRAs and people who don't like feminism,' comments popping up. Largely because THAT'S one of my biggest pet peeves with internet feminism.

Some serious problem is bought to light and the first thing some people think is, 'Hah now i have something to rub in the faces of people who disagree with me.' Even if those very people have quite pointedly specified that their views are limited to western feminism.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Saying rapists are lynched is India is not saying India doesn't have a rape problem.

It is saying India have a rape problem, and a lynching problem.

Ignoring the other side of the issue doesn't make the other easier to solve out. Being a backwards country is a harder problem to solve, but as long as it is there, all other changes and efforts are fruitless. As you can't introduce computers to a village without electricity, you can't introduce feminism to a country where the illiterate number reach the millions.

You can't implement woman rights in a place where you can't even guarantee the most basic human rights to such a big parcel of the population.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:58 pm

for once this is totally not our fault!

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Re: So, why is India such a shithole for women?

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:03 pm

NotCIAAgent wrote:
AdricDePsycho wrote:Mexico is sort of a shithole, too. I'm half-Mexican, by the way.

I think this qualifies you for the Disgruntled Third Worlder Club.

Here, the voodoo doll of your least favorite politician. Our meetings are at friday night.

Yay, John Boehner! I'm gonna remove your penus, sew it back on, and rip it off again!

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:04 pm

FieldMarshalFry wrote:for once this is totally not our fault!

It's always your fault! Tea swilling limey!

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Yes Fry you have made that abundantly clear.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Hey! It's not my fault my home is a shithole. The developer was the one who chose to build it in the middle of the Ganges!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:16 pm

Yes, there are multiple angles that need to be worked on, Gash. Which is one more reason for us to avoid trying to squeeze everything happening there trough ideological lenses and ignoring other, related problems out of fear of derailing.

Yes, educate them about consent, but for Christ sake, don't forget to educate them about how to read.

But what do I know, is not like I live in a country that succeeded in that aspect.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:17 pm

@Nathan Look at it this way. All the sulphur from the human ashes will really make your skin better.

Yeah that's something people actually do.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 pm

thatindianguy wrote:If we could step back from the ken dolling for a minute I'm none too pleased with all the 'Show this to MRAs and people who don't like feminism,' comments popping up. Largely because THAT'S one of my biggest pet peeves with internet feminism.

Some serious problem is bought to light and the first thing some people think is, 'Hah now i have something to rub in the faces of people who disagree with me.' Even if those very people have quite pointedly specified that their views are limited to western feminism.

I don't know, is there really a legitimate opposing view that says the whole situation isn't a problem, though? I mean, we're dealing with women being raped here.

And what's wrong with their views being limited to Western feminism? Does that not mean progress? Would that not mean moving forwards? Is it not best to move ONLY FORWARDS without stopping?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby CultofZoidberg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:15 pm

NotCIAAgent wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:
DamianaRaven wrote:Since I'm clearly going blind and/or retarded, could someone please show me where I "painted all of India with "that article's brush"?

I suppose that can be inferred from you calling India a "shithole," a statement that can definitely be seen as offensive to people who live in India. The only evidence you provided that India is a shithole is that article.

I believe this is far from the ideal way to begin this discussion, but the question is one I find interesting. Gender equality is in a worse state in some places than others, and I'd like to know why that is.

Eh, they have (had?) a female prime minister.

Women are raped and stuff but hey, no glass ceiling. That makes them 300% better than the entire west according to some.

PS: sleep deprived.

PS 2:

To be fair, it is expected to be touched in all crevices riding a train like this one.

Yeah but didn't she immediately abdicate for Manmohan Singh?

....also INDIRA GANDHI doi!!!

CultofZoidberg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Hand of the King

Postby CultofZoidberg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:17 pm

thatindianguy wrote:
NotCIAAgent wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:
DamianaRaven wrote:Since I'm clearly going blind and/or retarded, could someone please show me where I "painted all of India with "that article's brush"?

I suppose that can be inferred from you calling India a "shithole," a statement that can definitely be seen as offensive to people who live in India. The only evidence you provided that India is a shithole is that article.

I believe this is far from the ideal way to begin this discussion, but the question is one I find interesting. Gender equality is in a worse state in some places than others, and I'd like to know why that is.

Eh, they have a female prime minister.

Women are raped and stuff but hey, no glass ceiling. That makes them 300% better than the entire west according to some.

PS: sleep deprived.

Had. And she sort of suspended democracy for two years when it looked like she might get the boot.

Of course as it turns out no one else could actually do the job so we voted her back in.

didn't she also win an awesome war?

I mean as awesome as a war can be what with the killing and such.

CultofZoidberg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Hand of the King

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:14 pm

I don't think I care for this guy's "explanation." Perhaps someone can clarify for me - is it true that most rapes in India are committed by poor people who are lashing out just because they're frustrated and/or jealous of the well-to-do? Considering that this theory is being presented by someone who claims to be safely outside that demographic, I'm inclined to believe there's FAR more to it than just "eew, poor people."

Last edited by DamianaRaven on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby AboveGL » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 pm

thatindianguy wrote:If we could step back from the ken dolling for a minute I'm none too pleased with all the 'Show this to MRAs and people who don't like feminism,' comments popping up. Largely because THAT'S one of my biggest pet peeves with internet feminism.

Oh, for FUCK'S sake. FUCKING hell.

Okay, in a more legible fashion: I agree with you.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

PreviousNext