J.F's article. Or the article from whoever has him in chains

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: J.F's article. Or the article from whoever has him in ch

Postby Gendry » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:05 am

NotCIAAgent wrote:

That video made me laugh so hard that my ribs now hurt. However, after the 10th replay, it's starting to get a bit...depressing.

clicks replay

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Gendry
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: King of the Andals

Postby NotCIAAgent » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:06 am

TheSyrupNugget wrote:Tomorrow on Cracked: "Five Reasons Why Everyone's Tastes In Entertainment Are Perfectly Valid", by Adam Tod Brown

"5 Reasons Confucianism Is Better Than Western Science", by Luke McKinney.

Gendry wrote:That video made me laugh so hard that my ribs now hurt. However, after the 10th replay, it's starting to get a bit...depressing.

So does war.

Gendry wrote:clicks replay

... so does war.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby Gendry » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:14 am

NotCIAAgent wrote:
Gendry wrote:That video made me laugh so hard that my ribs now hurt. However, after the 10th replay, it's starting to get a bit...depressing.

So does war.

... so does war.

Wait, are wars not depressing the first 9 times? Do they click replay on themselves? METAPHORS ARE HARD, ALRIGHT

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Gendry
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: King of the Andals

Postby NotCIAAgent » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:20 am

Gendry wrote:
NotCIAAgent wrote:

So does war.

... so does war.

Wait, are wars not depressing the first 9 times? Do they click replay on themselves? METAPHORS ARE HARD, ALRIGHT

Look, I am graduated in Industrial Logistcs, alright? I am no fancy linen pants wordsmith, I work with what I have! If life give you lemons, make a lemonade. If life gives you a half exploitable post, do a half assed work at looking pretentious smart pretentious to impress your peers.

Those are the words pa left me.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Kate » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:30 am

Askias wrote:
While I mostly stand corrected, I do have some notes.

1. 'People care less' isn't 'people don't care', although I am well aware that most of the SJM indeed doesn't care at all. A hard counter can be counterproductive, and should be called such, but when we're talking about words, words that support an existing problem tend to be more harmful than the same words trying to create an opposite one. The highened reaction is a consequence of the existing situation that is being fuelled, rather than there being a possible hypothetical with as prime problem that it entrences the existing problem. Even so, I was downplaying their effect, stand corrected, and will take it into consideration in the future.

2. I am aware of this attitude, but it's not inherent to the point I tried to make. Not recognizing that problems stemming from discrimination are additional problems, and their absence does not constitute a removal of other problems, is a very bad attitude that is fairly widespread. Also widespread (and even moreso in SJW circles) is the idea that being part of a historically priviliged group negates any other negative consequences thereof. I do have to say that in your example, the statements that would be targeted as problematic are also the ones reaffirming the current problem. This is testament to the fact that these problems aren't integral: The fact that more than one group is harmed by these ideas is an argument for their 'special status', not against, if one doesn't make the two aforementioned mistakes and uses 'priviliged/underprivileged' as absolute designations instead of describtive terms that don't carry any 'more/less deserving of help/sympathy'.

3. Good point, the difference between theoretical thinking and the more relevant expected consequences. As with 1, I was downplaying this idea and will take it into consideration in the future. I was too shorthanded with the word 'Only' when I said 'only hurts people's feelings', and will be more considerate from this point forward.
I'm not sure I'm entirely keeping up, so if I'm misunderstanding you, I sincerely apologize. I have a fairly high fever at the moment and haven't had a proper night of sleep for a couple of nights.

It was mostly in response to "only hurts people's feelings," (which, thank you for addressing that, I now understand you a little better) and the idea that the racism the other way doesn't contribute to the existing problems. If it's a contributing factor in someone's death, that's beyond hurting feelings, and it creates problems in our culture...but you agree with me there. I don't object to the idea that there are privileged and non-privileged people, more that racist and sexist statements only contribute to that culture when they come from one side of the dynamic; it's my belief that they contribute to the culture and problems we face already, and that as a result, the less privileged people are getting hit harder than they otherwise would be.

This isn't to say "It's your fault, less privileged people," because well...I don't think that. I think it's a complex web and we're all adding our strings to it, for better or for worse. But I think the bad coming from both sides of this contributes to the overall bad (if not just as much, then still a significant amount), and I am not arguing that it hurts the people who aren't privileged, but that it feeds the problems that we already have. I suppose I'm trying to say that it isn't just creating additional problems, it is strengthening existing ones.

Above brought up a very good example, a way better one than any I provided. The myth that men only think with their dicks is not only harmful to men, it is harmful to women and perpetuates attitudes about women that we are working to get rid of.

The same is true of words. Words can be internalized. Someone calling women "stupid bitch" all the time reinforces an attitude about women, not just to themselves but to the people in their sphere. Someone doing the same with "cis shitlord" all the time isn't just creating a problem for men by spreading that attitude to others. By reinforcing this attitude about straight men, that creates problems for themselves by contributing to the divide. It involves rejecting allies that men could be and influences how people see feminists. We can see that play out. Heck, it influences how *I* see feminists. People take you and your problems less seriously; they have no incentive to interact with you and learn how to better themselves. They have no incentive to care about you, because frankly, you're treating them like shit. I'm not saying we should pander to people, but whenever someone fails to give a fellow human being basic human respect, you are contributing to the problem. Not to their problem (well that too), but to your own.

I'm not saying that's not understandable. It is. But I don't think that means we should have a special class that can say things that contribute to that, and then say it's worse when someone else says it. I think we need to take ownership. It's kind of like...man. This is an awful example. You know how sometimes you walk in to fights where someone is saying "We need to teach girls to watch out for rapists," and the other person goes, "No, we need to teach men not to rape!" And it's like, "Why not both?" I don't see this as an either or situation, and I don't really see it as something with real sides, just contrived sides. We are all contributing to this problem. Everyone who engages in behavior that increases the divide is contributing to the problem. We need construction. We can call people out on their crap, but it's harmful to ourselves to do it in a way that discourages other people from listening to us.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:07 am

Speaking of SJWs:
Today, Doug Walker posted a new Nostalgia Critic video where he reviewed Demolition Man, and he kept making a few jokes about how both sides of the future city are kind of like Tumblr and 4Chan. At the end, however, he makes an incredibly valid point about why this movie is genius even today: it shows the internet debates of today. And he points how both sides are presented to be not necessarily wrong, but with equally valid points to make. Whatever your opinion is of NC post-uncancellation, by all means check it out.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:31 am

Yes. All this is nice but the peanut gallery needs to know. Who put J.F. in chains?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:Speaking of SJWs:
Today, Doug Walker posted a new Nostalgia Critic video where he reviewed Demolition Man, and he kept making a few jokes about how both sides of the future city are kind of like Tumblr and 4Chan. At the end, however, he makes an incredibly valid point about why this movie is genius even today: it shows the internet debates of today. And he points how both sides are presented to be not necessarily wrong, but with equally valid points to make. Whatever your opinion is of NC post-uncancellation, by all means check it out.

PENIS!!!!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:53 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:

PENIS!!!!

I see we have a viewer. Eric, what did you think of the video?

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:01 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Yes. All this is nice but the peanut gallery needs to know. Who put J.F. in chains?

Well, I don't know if it's related to anything or not, but I saw Scary Mike today at the hardwa

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Nugget of Syrup

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:29 am

Ya had to say it, didn't you SyrupNugget?
*grabs mop and bucket*
I'm too young for this shit.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:46 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:
Ericthebearjew wrote:

PENIS!!!!

I see we have a viewer. Eric, what did you think of the video?

Hilarious, as always.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby thatindianguy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:58 am

Haven't seen that one yet.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:04 am

Check it out Indy, it was really good.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:22 am

You know, thinking about it, I think this article is a "get out of jail" card for Cracked.

So when people complain about them pandering to SJWs and being clickbaity, they can just show that.

And the author being Sargent, I guess it kinda is a card for him too, though it just makes the situation even more otherworldly. I mean from all authors, Sargent is the one that makes the article look the most hypocrite possible.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

PreviousNext