After Hours tackles Friends

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: After Hours tackles Friends

Postby EstebanColberto » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:38 pm

I enjoy After Hours over-analysis of pop culture cause it's clearly done for the sake of comedy. However, I can understand why someone might be sick of it since so many internet writers are taking their over-analysis seriously that it can be difficult to stomach the times when it's done for comedic purposes even when you know it's comedy.

As for the Friends being awful people, that's almost true for any sitcom. In order to create the wacky situations, characters have to go outside the bounds of what is socially acceptable behavior. Watching normal people living normal lives wouldn't be very entertaining. Sitcoms pretty much require people to pull pranks on their bosses and co-workers that would get you fired and/or arrested in real life. Even when they do cross a line, everything is back to normal at the end of the episode. They have to be over the top.

We've also raised the bar on just how terrible people have to be towards each other in sitcoms that Friends and Seinfeld are tame by comparison. You want some truly awful people, watch, "It's Always Sunny in Philladelphia." I love that show cause their actions actually have consequences.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:11 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby LegionofShrooms » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:34 am

FaceTheCitizen wrote:
Aquila89 wrote:I'm so damn sick and tired of all this cynical, post-modernist overanalyzing of every beloved piece of fiction to point out horrible implications everywhere, why all the characters are monsters, why it has a secret reactionary political message, and so on and so forth.

Analyzing works of fiction is hardly post-modern.

I'm just taking issue grappling with the term "post-mondern". I mean, modern implies the present, right? So what, is there time travel involved? Are we analyzing works that don't exist yet? Is this like the future meat wares district in Anhk-Morpork? If three strippers and a hobo travel back in time to kill George Washington, will we still-

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby skooma » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:00 am

Aquila89 wrote:I'm so damn sick and tired of all this cynical, post-modernist overanalyzing of every beloved piece of fiction to point out horrible implications everywhere, why all the characters are monsters, why it has a secret reactionary political message, and so on and so forth.

Oh, Gods yes. I've never bothered figuring out what post-post-modernism is supposed to be, but post-modernism ran out of legs a loooong time ago, and is now functioning as a zombie appropriated by, from what I've seen anyway, idiots pretending to be smart by having some spectacularly obnoxious version of tantrums. Have barely seen After Hours at all for exactly that reason.

Agents of Cracked was good, as far as I could tell.

Edit: SandTea makes a great point, about great things under the post-modernist/self-aware deconstruction umbrella, they're just harder to find, the way great things are, and the abusive form is more like a social trend in general. It became a more widely recognizable thing in the 90s, with shows like Futurama, now is a zombie far more often and as a broader trend that's now formulaic.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Previous