Gaming and women we know this dance already.

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Gaming and women we know this dance already.

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:17 pm

CommanderRidley wrote:I clicked on it, saw "Brianna Wu", and noped the fuck off Cracked forever.

Can we not discuss sexism without the known crazies? Also, can we talk about sexism in other fields than gaming for once?

Of course not, because nobody actually cares about sexism, they care about getting clicks for their shitty website after all the people who knew how to write good dick jokes left.

Shhh shhh... It's ok CommanderRidley, we'll be your source of dick jokes now.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby Masonator » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:I thinks it's all mostly due to four things (well, things that are on the top of my head, anyway):
1. There's that pesky stereotyping "the few are the many" mentality ingrained in human psychology for some reason.

2.Movies generlly tend to have a wider audience than video games, so the hypothetical loudmouth assholes, are just seen as generic loudmouth assholes, whereas gamers, being a smaller audience, are easier to stereotype.

3. Gamers seem to be often regarded as America's NEETs in pop culture.

4. The assholes of the gaming world tend to give off vibes that they're not just into video games, THEIR LIVES are video games.

Put it all together, and you get a public image that's the source of one hell of a kerfuffle.

Thumb way up for ending your post with "kerfuffle," and agreed on all points, though I feel the idea that games are more niche than movies is getting less and less true (keep charging me $15 for ticket and making me double bag my eyes for useless 3d and you'll see how untrue it is, ye movie gods).

They do have hardcore fans with addictions, and maybe that's equally true with movies and tv (after all, suddenly the term 'binge watching' became part of our lexicon), but it's either not as prevalent or no one cares. It's just a shame that gamers as a group get lumped in with each other, not just through general stereotyping, which is hard to change and difficult to blame any one group for, but also through so-called 'journalists' in this GG nonsense. #notallgamers

Kerfuffle.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:23 pm

So far in this great big Gate discussion we talked about...

1. Do "gamers" exist?
2. Does sexism exist?
3. Does GamerGate exist?
4. Ethics in gaming journalism: does anyone actually care?

My proposals for future discussions:

1. Video games. Relevant in today's society?
2. Did video games ever exist? After all, videos exist. Games exist. Why combine the two? CONFUSING.
3. "Women." This is a stupid label that needs to die. EVERYONE is a woman. Not even a debate.
4. SJWs. Changing the acronym from "Social Justice Warriors" to "Severely Jammed Walrus." Yes or no?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:24 pm

I might be wrong, but I thought that was what the "gamers are dead" thing was about - you know, that gaming is no longer a niche interest. Which...I don't really see how anyone can take offence at that. Or have I completely misunderstood?

Kerfuffle.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:30 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I might be wrong, but I thought that was what the "gamers are dead" thing was about - you know, that gaming is no longer a niche interest. Which...I don't really see how anyone can take offence at that. Or have I completely misunderstood?

Kerfuffle.

Well, if gaming is no longer a niche interest, that means the gamers of my fourth point aren't SPECIAL!!!!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Ah, Special Snowflake Syndrome. Got you.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:34 pm

That's not exactly what those articles were.

What they said was that gaming culture was dead. They tried to paint gaming culture as it already exists is something awful that will die put soon.

Obviously this pistes off people involved in it.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Did video games ever exist? After all, videos exist. Games exist. Why combine the two? CONFUSING.

Do you have any idea how disappointed I was the first time I saw an elephant seal?

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:43 pm

thatindianguy wrote:That's not exactly what those articles were.

What they said was that gaming culture was dead. They tried to paint gaming culture as it already exists is something awful that will die put soon.

Obviously this pistes off people involved in it.

I can see that. But I also think it's true...sort of. Not that it's awful, but that it's changing and changing fast. I suppose I think of it like board games. Most people occasionally play Monopoly or whatever. But there are also hardcore gaming nerds who have twenty-six expansion packs for Settlers of Catan. They're a different breed.

Gaming has certainly become a lot more mainstream, in the sense that everyone and their granny has played some sort of computer game, even if it's Farmville or something. Nevertheless, there will always be hardcore gamers.

I suppose people don't like having their identity "taken away", especially when that identity might be something they stuck with even though it got them sneered at by more mainstream folks. It's like the "geek is chic" thing - okay, it's cool to be a nerd now? Fine, then please retroactively un-bully me. I can see why it rubs people the wrong way.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:47 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:But there are also hardcore gaming nerds who have twenty-six expansion packs for Settlers of Catan. They're a different breed.

Pffff, nerds. I only have Seafarers...and Cities and Knights...and Traders and Barbarians...and the 5-6 player expansions for each.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Thing is...we should embrace it. Being bitter...what's that quote about drinking poison and expecting the other person to die?

Edit: PS. The husbeast and I are total game geeks, so no judgement here!

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Exactly. For most gamers there is a clear division between different levels of gamers. And while there's some trash talking between them for the most part they just stay put of each others way.

Now when there's an influx of more casual level gamers or any type of geek really .... well.
Plus like it or not 'gamers' and geeks did develop their own online culture. One that admittedly would seem strange and unpleasent to outsiders, but again it was something get that worked for them.
They don't mind people playing the games but they don't like the idea of having to change the rules of the clubhouse for a bunch of people they quite frankly don't really care about.

Mind you some stuff could do with changing but the ones calling for it rarely seem to be willing get to compromise something.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:01 pm

To clarify I'm not against the idea of some change but it rankles me that people whove spent years with this job by and culture apparently aren't supposed to have any say in where it goes 8th the future.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Are you on your phone by any chance? :-p

I dunno. I guess if it were me I'd just say "My clubhouse, my rules...if you don't like it here, make your own elsewhere, and have fun!" If anybody's being obnoxious about taking over an established space, that's a problem, but not, I think, a gaming- or even nerd-specific one.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:18 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:
I suppose people don't like having their identity "taken away", especially when that identity might be something they stuck with even though it got them sneered at by more mainstream folks. It's like the "geek is chic" thing - okay, it's cool to be a nerd now? Fine, then please retroactively un-bully me. I can see why it rubs people the wrong way.

Yeah, but geekdom essentially became popular somewhere around 2004-2006. So, basically anyone who bothers to have that much of schoolyard grudge is essentially in their mid to late 30s or above, which is honestly a tad bit pathetic.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

PreviousNext