Cracked & Scientology: the hell just happened?

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Cracked & Scientology: the hell just happened?

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:10 am

Every time someone says that Scientology is no worse than any other major religion, I like to point out that other major religions:

1. Don't have a dedicated paramilitary branch that has been known to exploit the labor of small children.
2. Don't make a habit of trying to drive their opposers to suicide.
3. Weren't responsible for, among many other "operations", the largest known infiltration of the US government in history.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:36 am

And they will point out that Christianity itself did that, as conquering people, dominating governments, and killing its foes, by the orders of the pope himself.

... around five hundred years ago. But it still counts right?

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby SandTea » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:14 am

actually worse but as someone else said time= credibility. give it a while and scientololololol will be getting the same arguments. "oh that was a while ago we've changed now that we got everything we needed"

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby EstebanColberto » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:18 am

I'll repeat what I said in the comment section of the article here.

Christianity has a lot of televangelists and preachers that prey on the desperate and the gullible for personal gain instead of a real need to help people or spread the good word, but I respect Christianity as a whole because the snake oil salesman of the religion are only a small portion of it. Most Christian community leaders I know only want a sense of community and help out in some way. They'll raise money because their neighbor's kid has cancer, not so they can afford a new Porsche.

Scientology really is a monolithic organization, however. There was no Great Schism of Scientology. No movement to reform it. I'm sure some people may have tried, but we see how Scientology deals with its dissenters and deserters. Scientology is not a multi-faceted religion with dozens of sects and differing interpretations of religious dogma. Maybe in 200 years time, if Scientology still exists, it could be much different than it is today and won't behave like a cult at all, but that day is not today and I don't see that possibility happening within my lifetime. Scientology is only made up of the con-men and their marks and I have no respect for it as a a religion.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:28 am

You see if a religion is at least redeemable by the words of its creator.

"The second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."
Jesus Christ, Mark 12:31

"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever hath not kindness hath not faith."
Muhammad

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection."
Buddha

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."
L. Ron Hubbard

I think it is pretty clear, ladies and gentlemen.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:44 am

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19
So yeah, the bad stuff in the old testament still applies like slavery and... too many to mention.

Quran (3:56) - "As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help."

damnit I don't want to keep going. lets try to summarize. Gautama Siddhartha was a dick for a while, L ron probably said something that made sense once and I guarantee you i heard Bigfoot utter something anti Semitic after he talked about environmental practices being harmful. Point is.... *falls asleep*

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 am

I knew somebody would come up, saying I neglected all the bad stuff that those prophets (and philosopher) said.

To this, I reply: do you want to be known as the member who defended L. Ron Hubbard's honor?

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:58 am

LegionofShrooms wrote:
OrangeEyebrows wrote:Damiana - Well. You guys have freedom of speech enshrined in your constitution. It's kind of unique. In the UK certain kinds of speech are absolutely not protected. Even in Speaker's Corner, speech theoretically has to be lawful. In practice, we have a hell of a lot fewer lawsuits for slander and libel and suchlike. But in principle...

To be fair, that freedom isn't absolute here either. Slander and libel are one hundred percent sueable here (sueable's a word, right), and certain kinds of speech, like those that could potentially injure or harm others (famous example-shouting "Fire" in a crowded movie theater when there is no such thing) are prosecutable offenses.

Not to mention, seeing as how the government gets to decide how to interpret those laws within reason, there can and absolutely has been revocation of that right in past cases. They can place "gag orders" on issues they deem as a threat to national security (guess who gets to decide what those threats are?) and in times of national emergency can and will revoke constitutional rights.

For example, during the Civil War if I recall, there was a period where it was uncertain where Virginia a would side on the conflict, as it had a lot of slavery owners and abolitionists due to it's location. I'm going off of memory so I may be wrong, but I believe Lincoln jailed some ten thousand protesters to quell voices of dissent in an attempt to make sure Virginia did not attempt to secede with the other states, even though they were well within their technical constitutional rights to protest.

There is actually Constitutional provision for the suspension of the writ habeas corpus, though Lincoln's suspension of the writ was ruled unconstitutional, as only Congress has the authority to do so. The law on habeas corpus is now quite complicated and includes some exceptions and presidential authority to suspend it.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby SandTea » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:08 am

If that's what you took away from the post, I pity you.

SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:10 am

SandTea wrote:If that's what you took away from the post, I pity you.

No, it is me making fun of the situation, because that's what I do.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:32 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:36 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 am

Anyone drawing false equivalencies in order to excuse Scientology from "cult" status really needs to look up stuff like Operation Snow White, and Operation Freakout.

Just saying. These people are borderline domestic terrorists.

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Australia » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:40 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:Every time someone says that Scientology is no worse than any other major religion, I like to point out that other major religions:

1. Don't have a dedicated paramilitary branch that has been known to exploit the labor of small children.

Well, not labour, no. They pretty much just lie there.

I know, NSA, I know. I'll turn myself in.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:59 pm

ShuaiGuy wrote:Also, just some additional notes: Some of the sources used in the article were tabloids (specifically in the Jehovah's Witness area). Also, in reference to that 14 year old girl who is a lesbian. Yes, she was 14, but quite often in heterosexual relationships that age difference is overlooked, because people think it's ok. IIRC the other girl was aged 18. It's kind of one of those situations where if you don't want teenagers having sex, don't put them in the same goddamn building 8 hours a day. Yes, it's against the law, but that's a law that is often bent or ignored in the case of heterosexual high schoolers.

Not where I'm from it's not. A 4 year age difference in a teenage couple is considered creepy as fuck. Also there are plenty of people who are prosecuted as if they are a pedophile for a one year age gap.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

PreviousNext