Cracked & Scientology: the hell just happened?

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Cracked & Scientology: the hell just happened?

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Masonator wrote:I scared a bear away!

*Scurries back and mauls Masonator*

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Masonator » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Okay, so I know I was just mauled and all, and I certainly want to respect that, but I just had a lurk at a PWoT thread and saw that Wong wrote this about the Scientology article:

"Yeah we have made the decision to pull the column for now, I think there was a well-meaning effort to try to be balanced on the issue but we're really relying on some unreliable sources here. "

http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/199 ... entology/0

I'm kind of inferring that the author was, in fact, a scientologist, though all Wong is saying is that the author wasn't skeptical enough of some of the sources. See, OrangeEyebrows, Wong does do some proper oversight, he just doesn't like you.

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:47 pm

But I'm delightful!

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:54 pm

So they actually pulled it.
Man that's actually pretty big. Normally it would take borderline criminal levels of wrongness to get them to even edit an article.
Like the time they ran an article saying a girl had been expelled for being a lesbian only to later find out that she was actually expelled for messing around with a 14 year old while she was 18, and general creeptastic behaviour.

I feel like I'm a grizzled detective in a noir setting who's all but given up on this stinking city only to see one solitary act of decency, to which I say, " Well how 'bout that?" and then take a swig of bourbon from my flask and walk off.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:55 pm

I think I recall them pulling an article on the day of the Boston Marathon bombing because they felt the content was insensitive given what had happened.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Also yes Eyebrows is delightful.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:12 pm

They pulled it? That's no fun. I should have quoted more of it when I had the chance. I recall the article arguing it's ok for Scientology to charge a lot of money because churches are expensive. It also failed to mention how difficult it is to leave Scientology, which is one of the main distinctions between "cult" and "religion."

Remember everyone, if you're going to practice religion, you need to do it with CONSENT. Otherwise it's rape a cult. (Or in the worst case scenario maybe both.) It's common for those practicing a religious lifestyle to intentionally starve themselves, forfeit their money, even give up material possessions and activities they enjoy. Outsiders may not understand it, but it's all perfectly fine as long as nobody is being tormented against their will. As long as everyone AGREES to the torment, religion is perfectly ethical.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby El Saico » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Look, we found Cracked's standards!

The path to wisdom does, in fact, begin with a single step.

Where people go wrong is in ignoring all the thousand other steps that come after it. They make the single step of deciding to become one with the universe, and for some reason forget to take the logical next step of living for 70 years on a mountain and a daily bowl of rice and yak-butter tea that'd give it any kind of meaning. While evidence says that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, they’re probably all first steps.
El Saico
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Serial Hit-and-Runner

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:16 pm

El Saico wrote:Look, we found Cracked's standard!

FTFY

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:26 pm

don't worry chaps, the author has apologised, he is NOT a Scientologist, he had no idea HBO would air that documentary between the writing of the article and its publication (and why haven't you lot watched the BBC documentary yet?) or that there would be another article about Scientology the day before

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby SandTea » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Awww. now I'm upset I didn't read this one. Anyone know one of those "all of the internet" sites that keep records or something? Just because now I do want to see what the f they were saying. Still funny that in the referenced pwot thread they said essentially, "no one cares about what the commenters are saying, even when we agree with them"
edit: nvm oops... page two. i seem to miss that stuff a lot recently

Last edited by SandTea on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Well that's good.

Ass covering or not, at least we can all choose to believe that this was nothing but a brief embarrassing moment for Cracked and move on.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Masonator » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:35 pm

FieldMarshalFry wrote:don't worry chaps, the author has apologised, he is NOT a Scientologist, he had no idea HBO would air that documentary between the writing of the article and its publication (and why haven't you lot watched the BBC documentary yet?) or that there would be another article about Scientology the day before

Don't forget his opening line, "Hey, I wrote the thing that is now dead. For the record, it was never supposed to be posted at all, from my understanding. That it just went down a bit ago was an accident."

So Cracked told this author that it was never going to be posted, then posted it, got all the clicks, and pulls it afterwards. Am I being paranoid, or is that exactly what it sounds like?

Masonator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Masonator wrote:I just had a lurk at a PWoT thread and saw that Wong wrote this about the Scientology article:

"Yeah we have made the decision to pull the column for now, I think there was a well-meaning effort to try to be balanced on the issue but we're really relying on some unreliable sources here. "

http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/199 ... entology/0

I'm kind of inferring that the author was, in fact, a scientologist, though all Wong is saying is that the author wasn't skeptical enough of some of the sources. See, OrangeEyebrows, Wong does do some proper oversight, he just doesn't like you.

Yeah, I remember that they pulled out an article on the day of the Boston bombings, I think that it was about natural disasters that could wipe out entire cities (they still left its comments section open though, which is ironic in hindsight, and the comments were very divided about the decision), and holy shit I didn't heard about that one, Indy (the one about the girl that was expelled).

I remember that there was an article ATB made in which there was one of those YouTube videos that put songs with lyrics; seeming normal stuff, isn't it? Well, it turns out that who uploaded the video dedicated the song (it was something metal) to Anders Behring Breivik, otherwise known as the perpretator of the 2011 Norway attacks, even refering to Breivik as "commander"/"comrade"/"general" or something along those titles. After several comments pointed that out, the video was replaced with a similar one that didn't have dedications to mass shooters.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:45 pm

SandTea wrote:Awww. now I'm upset I didn't read this one. Anyone know one of those "all of the internet" sites that keep records or something? Just because now I do want to see what the f they were saying.

Wayback Machine doesn't have it, or Google cache. The address is now a permanent redirect, it may be that they don't archive those, or something?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext