5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:02 pm

One of these guys is a total asshole. No, seriously - I take strong umbrage at #2:

The asshole himself actually wrote:"I once had a server tell me a well-done steak wasn't 'well-done enough.' I asked her if she knew the proper temperature of a well-done steak. She replied, 'I know what they look like! I've been a server for nine months.' So, I popped it in the microwave for three minutes and served a leathery piece of tire. Needless to say, she wasn't tipped from that table."


What kind of childish, unprofessional bullshit is that? It sounds very much as if this asstwat is actually bragging about the fact that in order to vindicate a petty slight, he was willing to rip off a customer who paid for a steak and got "a leathery piece of tire." He's further willing to fuck up the livelihood of the establishment's owner by ensuring customers leave unsatisfied and unlikely to return. All this collateral damage is acceptable in his sullen little mind because a waitress gave him a bit of lip. Fuck a bunch of that.

It took me less than 30 seconds to throw his name and occupation at Google to find out where he's working - I wonder if his boss would appreciate knowing that he deliberately fucks up orders to spite their serving staff. I'm sorely tempted to call the place myself and suggest they look into hiring someone more mature and professional to cook for them.
  • 22

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Oh, he's just mad because his food doesn't shred clothing.
NSFW
Image
  • 13

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby PSTN » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:19 pm

I was just going to let it go, but since there's already a thread about the article, I might as well ask.

What's supposed to be so bad about well done steak? Like I hear all the time how it's just the worst thing you could do to a steak, and the article even says that if you order well done, you deserve to get spoiled food. But what is the actual problem with it? Because, to me, it seems like the universal hatred of comic sans. People say it's just awful, and you're a bad person for using it, but when you ask what the actual problem is, they just go back to square one and say it's awful, without elaborating.
  • 11

User avatar
PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:24 am
Show rep
Title: II

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby Andropov4 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Well done steak is usually less flavourful. Also, it tends to get rather tough.
  • 17

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
User avatar
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3307
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: 'Murica
Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 pm

It has to do with the juices in the meat. Well done is dry as the Empty Quarter.
  • 4

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:23 pm

It's personal taste. I prefer rare, but I don't judge people for eating well-done. I just find there's much more flavour in rare than in the other cooking temps, except blue rare, but blue rare is too chewy and cold for my liking.
  • 10

User avatar
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm
Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:32 pm

RARE IS GOD!!! ALL HAIL THE SLIGHTLY-ABOVE-LUKEWARM PINK CENTER!
  • 14

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:33 pm

Mr. Kolka also wrote:"I've worked at restaurants where the servers 'tip out' the rest of the staff, and even though they make enough in tips in one good night to pay my rent, they still complain about it. If a gentle reminder that I'm the reason they get tipped in the first place doesn't end the bitching, I'll purposefully fuck up every single order they have, proving my point by ensuring shitty tips."


This website wrote:Restaurants cannot require servers to share their tips with non-service employees who do not customarily and regularly receive tips, such as dishwashers, cooks, chefs, janitors, and managers. Restaurants can require waiters to split their tips from customers with other front of the house employees who provide personal service to customers as a principal and regular part of their duties (such as bussers, bartenders, barbacks, food runners, captains who provide direct food service to customers, and hosts who greet and seat guests).


This one wrote:Tip sharing is legal under the Fair Labor Standards Act, as long as employees are not required to share tips with employees who do not engage in customer service, such as kitchen or janitorial staff.


So, basically he's willing to sabotage a server's career for merely complaining - not refusing, mind you - about having to engage in a practice that is FUCKING ILLEGAL! That phone call I was thinking about is starting to sound more and more tempting.
  • 20

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:44 pm

This whole article is so whiny. Nobody thinks working in the kitchen at a restaurant is a walk in the fucking park. These people act like they have the toughest job on Earth, like they're brave warriors fighting the demons of hell in order to win offerings from the great lord of Food Service. We all know cooking is hard, we've all seen the reality TV shows and whatever, now shut up jeez.
  • 18

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9634
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby MisterKrinkle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Now I may not be as qualified as Notch to speak on the subject matter, but I did work in a couple restaurants for a number of years.
In regards to #2, it's pretty much a general rule that waitresses/waiters can be extremely annoying. Does that excuse the shit the author said was going on? Absolutely not, waitresses need those tips to live on. But dealing with people who won't stop bitching about their 5 tables while your cooking food for the whole place for 8 hours is god awful.
Now that my waitress rant is done, let me just say that none of the places I worked at did any of the disgusting things they mentioned in the article, so don't take this article as a representation of the restaurant industry.

I would definitely think about that phone call Damiana, because that guy sounds like a bona fide asshole.
  • 22

Stay classy
User avatar
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 pm
Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 pm

MisterKrinkle wrote:But dealing with people who won't stop bitching about their 5 tables while your cooking food for the whole place for 8 hours is god awful.


This is true and in no way was I suggesting that a chef should just shut up and deal with it. Nonetheless, there are numerous ways to handle such a situation without resorting to punishing customers in the crossfire. Go slash their fucking tires if you have to, but don't sabotage an entire business by taking out petty spite on the people who are actually paying EVERYBODY'S salary with their patronage.
  • 15

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby PSTN » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:RARE IS GOD!!! ALL HAIL THE SLIGHTLY-ABOVE-LUKEWARM PINK CENTER!


See, when you say that, I don't think of steak.
  • 21

User avatar
PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:24 am
Show rep
Title: II

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:11 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:One of these guys is a total asshole. No, seriously - I take strong umbrage at #2:

The asshole himself actually wrote:"I once had a server tell me a well-done steak wasn't 'well-done enough.' I asked her if she knew the proper temperature of a well-done steak. She replied, 'I know what they look like! I've been a server for nine months.' So, I popped it in the microwave for three minutes and served a leathery piece of tire. Needless to say, she wasn't tipped from that table."


What kind of childish, unprofessional bullshit is that? It sounds very much as if this asstwat is actually bragging about the fact that in order to vindicate a petty slight, he was willing to rip off a customer who paid for a steak and got "a leathery piece of tire." He's further willing to fuck up the livelihood of the establishment's owner by ensuring customers leave unsatisfied and unlikely to return.


And the server, who was trying to ensure that the customer got what he or she wanted. I don't give a damn if the chef thinks well-done steak is an abomination - if the customer wants it dipped in dogshit and jumped up and down on, it's absolutely their right as a paying customer to have that preference. It's the server's job to communicate that preference to the chef. And it's the chef's job to suck it up and serve it like that even if he has to go home and weep into his pillow afterwards.
  • 18

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
User avatar
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 5700
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 pm
Location: Dormouse-like in a teapot
Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Who wants to bet these people are trying to pick up a few bucks writing for Cracked because they lost their jobs cooking?
  • 22

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9634
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 5 Disgusting Truths About Every Restaurant...

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:15 am

Tesseracts wrote:Who wants to bet these people are trying to pick up a few bucks writing for Cracked because they lost their jobs cooking?


I won't post any links, but I happen to be aware that Mr. Kolka has been working at an assisted living facility for the grand eternity of three whole months. I'm still studying on whether I want to call - or better still, write - the place and administer a little karmic justice. He wants to boast on a very high-traffic website (and sign his own name like he's proud of that shit) about sabotaging the careers of people because they didn't kiss his ass hard enough? Well, now he's gone and pissed off somebody with the ability (however trivial it may be) to fuck with his livelihood.

By the way, any advice or perspective would be appreciated here. I don't want to be unduly spiteful to this man, but as a former waitress and on behalf of serving staff everywhere, I want to see this ass crack made sorry for his behavior. If he can't man up enough to regret what he's done, he should at least know better than to brag about it to an unfamiliar audience.

In a delightful twist of irony, Justin just announced we're going to Po Melvin's for dinner. (WARNING - that link has sound.) They're usually pretty awesome. I'll be sure to tip the server a little extra and sign it "from TCS."

Where the fuck are my clothes?
  • 8

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests