Four Reasons the Suburban Dream Is About to Die

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Four Reasons the Suburban Dream Is About to Die

Postby MisterKrinkle » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:47 am

sunglasses wrote:
Mmm, yep. We're headed down to town, Krinkle. You be needin' anything from the store?

Well if ya wanna head on over to Pete's and pick up a couple bags o' seed I'd 'preciate it. And tell that widget i need my goddamn tiller back

Stay classy
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 am

Condo's you can renovate to a certain degree. So it's possible that you can add a bird room as long as you don't break a hole in someone else's wall or allow the birds to get too loud (with sound damping walls for instance, I dunno I don't know birds).

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 am

cmsellers wrote:
SilverMaple wrote:Finally, other people who don't understand what's so awesome about lawns.

Lawns suck; I've said it so many times I didn't feel like repeating it. Trying to raise English grasses in North America is wasteful and pointless. The common excuse is that children need a place to play, but my backyard growing up was mostly forest. Trust me when I tell you: trees beat grass for playing in, hands down.

And that brings me to another point: lawns suck, but yards are awesome. Though I don't see the point of a suburban-size yard: you either want a yard just big enough to grow a garden (like I've seen in San Diego, Miami, and Queens), or else large enough that you can't make out the expressions on your neighbors' faces when you flip them off. (Bonus points if you can't actually see the neighbors.)

Personally, I'd love to have a yard of several acres: a half-acre garden behind the patio, berry bushes behind the garden, orchards (peaches, Seckel pears, and cider apples) behind the berries, and a forest with native trees all around the rim. Also, a couple of fowl yards off to the side, with ducks, geese, quail, partridges, guinea fowl, and possibly chickens and turkeys. *wistfulsigh*

I have to second cmsellers.

Lawns that is, just expanses of well kept grass just there to look pretty, are rather pointless.

Yards, with gardens to grow veggies in, trees to climb, hills to sled down (if yours is big enough) and wild berries to pick, on the other hand... Well that shit is just aces as a kid, and I'd be kinda sad if my kids don't get to experience that at some point.

Ideally, I want to move to a nice place on the lake where my mom grew up as a kid up in the Finger Lakes, with a beach mere feet from the water in front, and nice, wide acreage on the other side of the house with wild berry bushes and apple trees. I love the idea of my kids always wanting to be outside, and getting to share with then a place that means a lot to me.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby ShuaiGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:06 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:42 pm

cmsellers wrote:Personally, I'd love to have a yard of several acres: a half-acre garden behind the patio, berry bushes behind the garden, orchards (peaches, Seckel pears, and cider apples) behind the berries, and a forest with native trees all around the rim. Also, a couple of fowl yards off to the side, with ducks, geese, quail, partridges, guinea fowl, and possibly chickens and turkeys. *wistfulsigh*

I want a garden big enough to plant a giant sequoia in. Because I'm growing one.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Third-ing cmsellers and Shrooms. Yards are kind of awesome, except having to mow whatever grass is there in the summer. It's even better if there are woods behind your house, where wild (non-poisonous) berries grow. Growing up almost in the middle of nowhere has its perks.

Last edited by jbobsully11 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby MisterKrinkle » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:04 pm

CarrieVS wrote:I want a garden big enough to plant a giant sequoia in. Because I'm growing one.

I wouldn't recommend it. I asked a lady one time if she had a garden I could plant my giant tree in. I'm still not sure why she slapped me.

Stay classy
MisterKrinkle
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Chef Krinkle

Postby mancityfooty » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:53 pm

If all I had were cats, I would love a nice apartment. Something with thick soundproof walls where I can pretend I don't have any neighbors when I close the front door.
But I can't because now we have two dogs. And that's why we have to have a yard. There's no way we could afford the square footage they would require to get tired every day.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby NoodleFox » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Suburbs huh? I guess I would be in between that and rural-- the nearest mall is 15 minutes away and horses/horse stables and farms are everywhere, but we have the cul-de-sacs and houses with lawns lined beside the road in neat rows.

We also have a garden out front and a small forest line of pines behind our house and two man-made ponds filled with koi and wild nature is abundant during the spring and summer (that damn blue heron is back though, watching).
I guess that's the reason I prefer green over gray: I live in a place that, if you had a shitty day, I could just walk down to the pond and veg out on the overhanging bridge and feed the fish (the ones that grow over 6 inches get names, there's three so far: Gypsy Danger, Titan and Maw).

That and it's cleaner. I go on a day trip to NYC and the water that runs off in the shower is fucking GROSS. (No offense to city folk, eheheh...)

NoodleFox
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Third Person Facepalm-er

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:23 pm

NoodleFox wrote:Suburbs huh? I guess I would be in between that and rural-- the nearest mall is 15 minutes away and horses/horse stables and farms are everywhere, but we have the cul-de-sacs and houses with lawns lined beside the road in neat rows.

It depends on your relationship to the nearest city. If a substantial number of your neighbors commute to it for work, it's an exurb. If not, it's just a town.

David Wong wrote:7. "But this is the last non-terrible forum on the internet! The rest are full of trolls and Nazis!"

That's just not true at all.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Previous