5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justice

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justice

Postby AveryGlendale » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Yeah, Cracked, I think it's ridiculous how some people Get Mad at Abstract Concepts but Punish Individuals because We Like Outrage and Revenge More Than We Like Facts because There's No Motivation to Be Right.

Image
Image
  • 11

SQUAAAAAAK
User avatar
AveryGlendale
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:09 am
Location: Delta 54 Psc 6264 VII a
Show rep
Title: Starship Captain(?)

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby thatindianguy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Man the internet's gotten a lot of mileage out of that meme.
  • 3

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:18 pm
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:24 pm

It seems this Cracked article is not worth reading. However, I read the article the Cracked article linked to, and it's actually really interesting.
  • 3

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:27 pm

I can't find the Cracked article. Is it because Cracked hates Canadians? Is that a thing that I have to do now? Hate myself?
  • 1

User avatar
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am
Location: You'll Never Know!
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby thatindianguy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:31 pm

No Tess it's not bad. It 's super hypocritical of Cracked but it's not a bad article in and of it self. It accurately points out why Internet 'Justice' campaigns suck.
  • 2

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:18 pm
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:43 pm

thatindianguy wrote:No Tess it's not bad. It 's super hypocritical of Cracked but it's not a bad article in and of it self. It accurately points out why Internet 'Justice' campaigns suck.

From skimming it I don't see anything "bad," but I don't see anything that hasn't been pointed out elsewhere. So it's not worth reading.

I don't like how everyone acts like this is a phenomenon exclusive to the internet. People got fired and harassed for stupid reasons way before Twitter.
  • 1

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby Marcuse » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:59 pm

I feel like the title should be "5 reasons people prefer revenge over justice". I think it's time we stop treating the internet as some weird imaginary world where the rules of social interaction don't apply. It's that kind of attitude that leads people to think they can act badly in the first place (even if it doesn't absolve them of individual responsibility). So let's just recognise that people are like people are, even if it's behind a mask, they're still the same human beings.

As to preferring revenge to justice, that's so common as to be ubiquitous. I don't know why it's necessary to apply the "internet" qualifier to it.
  • 12

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:10 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I can't find the Cracked article. Is it because Cracked hates Canadians? Is that a thing that I have to do now? Hate myself?

Now the title was changed to "5 Things Vigilantes Do to Screw Themselves."

Tesseracts wrote:I don't like how everyone acts like this is a phenomenon exclusive to the internet. People got fired and harassed for stupid reasons way before Twitter.

Marcuse wrote:I feel like the title should be "5 reasons people prefer revenge over justice". I think it's time we stop treating the internet as some weird imaginary world where the rules of social interaction don't apply. It's that kind of attitude that leads people to think they can act badly in the first place (even if it doesn't absolve them of individual responsibility). So let's just recognise that people are like people are, even if it's behind a mask, they're still the same human beings.

As to preferring revenge to justice, that's so common as to be ubiquitous. I don't know why it's necessary to apply the "internet" qualifier to it.

When I read the (original) title it immediately reminded me of what my professor of computer science said once, that people tend to refer to anything computer-related as "intelligent" when they forget that almost all the time it's actually "logical", in accordance with the commands of their human operators.
  • 5

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
User avatar
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 pm
Location: Asunción, Paraguay
Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby EstebanColberto » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:59 am

I only skimmed it, but I knew what they were talking about. I mainly clicked on it to read the comments section. Something happened in recent news that really bugged me about these social justice mobs.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/04/06/does- ... ver-prop-8

The CEO of Mozilla was removed due to it being made public that he donated money to prop 8 to oppose gay marriage. He wasn't even being incredibly vocal about his support of his position from what I can tell. What sparked the outrage was that he listed the fact that he made the donation on his dating profile. Could you imagine the righteous indignation these same people would have if a bunch of religious zealots managed to get Tim Cook fired from Apple?

What if this had been someone you knew at work? It's easy to get fired up about CEOs cause we don't think of people in positions of power to be the same as us, but what if if a co-worker you knew who was very religious and against gay marriage, but was usually really respectful and never called anyone a faggot had his picture taken at an anti-gay marriage rally and posted on someone's Facebook page and then got fired? Would that be right? Would you have someone fired just cause he had a different opinion?

I'm pro-gay marriage and this angered the shit out of me. To hell with this!
  • 16

User avatar
EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 pm
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby ShuaiGuy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:06 am

<Redacted>
  • 2

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:38 am
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby EstebanColberto » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 am

ShuaiGuy wrote:I dunno Esteban, right-wingers already do that. It's just becoming more publicized that left-wingers are doing it too. If you're gay and working for a boss who's actively campaigning to keep you from getting married wouldn't that make the job super shitty? I think the focus should be on bosses who are not inclusive, but I can understand the reasoning for firing someone for having political opinions (like if someone was pro-khmer rouge... BET YOU THOUGHT I WAS GONNA SAY NAZIS, DIDN'T YOU!?), obviously that's an extreme opinion, but that person probably shouldn't be running your company.

I think it's tricky, because politics is similar to religion, and firing people for politics is dodgy. BUT if they're politics are non-inclusive (and nobody bring up people are intolerant of intolerance or I WILL find you and I WILL punch you in your genitals), then that's problematic for the work environment.


Firing the CEO is dodgy, cause CEOs operate by different rules than us. CEOs represent a company, and therefore, the image of the company. It's really hard to know where to draw the line. Companies are motivated by the bottom line and if firing the CEO to please the public to save a couple million dollars is a motivation, I completely understand. It's just that I can remember a time when saying. "I wuvs me some gazes!" would've caused a very similar public backlash and I would've been the loudest voice in the room criticizing it. On the one hand, I'm glad the shoe is on the other foot, but I'm also uncomfortable about it. You may feel differently, but I felt the left wing went too far. The right wing is losing the battle on this issue anyway. Gay people are going to be kissing each other on the Governor's courthouse steps of Mississippi whether you like it or not. The tech industry is incredibly left wing, but we can't tolerate one single right winger among us? Who are we? Going back to CEOs being the image of a company, what does it say about our [leftist] image when we can't stand this one guy that disagrees with us so much that we get him fired?
  • 6

User avatar
EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 pm
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:00 am

EstebanColberto wrote:I only skimmed it, but I knew what they were talking about. I mainly clicked on it to read the comments section. Something happened in recent news that really bugged me about these social justice mobs.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/04/06/does- ... ver-prop-8

The CEO of Mozilla was removed due to it being made public that he donated money to prop 8 to oppose gay marriage. He wasn't even being incredibly vocal about his support of his position from what I can tell. What sparked the outrage was that he listed the fact that he made the donation on his dating profile. Could you imagine the righteous indignation these same people would have if a bunch of religious zealots managed to get Tim Cook fired from Apple?

What if this had been someone you knew at work? It's easy to get fired up about CEOs cause we don't think of people in positions of power to be the same as us, but what if if a co-worker you knew who was very religious and against gay marriage, but was usually really respectful and never called anyone a faggot had his picture taken at an anti-gay marriage rally and posted on someone's Facebook page and then got fired? Would that be right? Would you have someone fired just cause he had a different opinion?

I'm pro-gay marriage and this angered the shit out of me. To hell with this!


Would you feel the same way if he was, say, outed as a member of the KKK? Or more directly, if he'd donated to a group that's working to ban interracial marriage?
  • 2

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3175
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:18 am
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby Arkyle » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Crimson847 wrote:Would you feel the same way if he was, say, outed as a member of the KKK? Or more directly, if he'd donated to a group that's working to ban interracial marriage?


So in essence you are entitled to discriminate against anyone who doesn't agree with you, but heaven help me if I disagree with you. While I may not agree with what they're doing, as long as they are within the bounds of the law, why should it cost them their job?

The biggest calling card as support for homosexuality is the underpinning of tolerance. This treatment smacks of "agree with me, or else". That's not tolerance, that hardline fundamentalism.
  • 11

User avatar
Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:45 am
Location: Just far south enough to not be cold
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Arkyle wrote:So in essence you are entitled to discriminate against anyone who doesn't agree with you, but heaven help me if I disagree with you. While I may not agree with what they're doing, as long as they are within the bounds of the law, why should it cost them their job?

The biggest calling card as support for homosexuality is the underpinning of tolerance. This treatment smacks of "agree with me, or else". That's not tolerance, that hardline fundamentalism.


I notice you're making a bunch of assumptions and ranting about those assumptions rather than answering the question.
  • 0

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
User avatar
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3175
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:18 am
Show rep

Re: 5 Reasons the Internet Always Prefers Revenge Over Justi

Postby thatindianguy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:34 pm

This may be an unpopular opinion but i feel that as long as they're not actively discriminating against people in the workplace even bigots have the right to earn a living.
  • 16

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:18 pm
Show rep

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron