The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroes

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Andropov4 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I don't like the argument that the perfect men drawn in the comics is okay because that's what we, as men, aspire to. I don't know about anyone else but I don't fucking aspire to look like what Wolverine or Namor or who ever look to be. It's the same stupid argument used before women's liberation came along and made us understand that women don't aspire to look like what's-her-name. It's disgusting. That women now use the same argument they once found insulting and still tell us the opposite side of that argument is in effect.

I don't believe the argument is that all men have that fantasy, just as not all women ever have aspired to look one like one singular purpose or ideal. But there are some men and some women who do, and in this case, it seems that the men who have this particular fantasy are being catered too. Just because this particular article didn't raise the appearance of men in comic books as an issue doesn't mean there are no people who have an issue with the way men are drawn in comic books, nor did the article argue that the way men are drawn is "okay".

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby LegionofShrooms » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:47 am

DamianaRaven wrote:I think you might have missed the point of the poster, 479. There's a common "compromise" in circulation that of course fat women are entitled to acceptance, attraction, and love... but only from other fat people. If a man is ripped and modelesque, she's not good enough for him. People can see a fat man with a svelte, attractive woman and think nothing of it, but stinks get raised when it's the other way around. Case in point... *lowers her chin and lifts her eyebrows meaningfully*

That's actually a stigma that rather annoys me in movies. If a male that's not conventionally attractive tries to get the beautiful girl, he's the hero of the story. If it works the other way, the girl is usually played as the butt of a joke.

And let's not forget how difficult it is in general for an average looking person to get a role in film in general regardless of acting skills (doubly so for women).

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:40 am

Andropov4 wrote:
NotCIAAgent wrote:
DamianaRaven wrote:We shame men for being virgins and then turn around and shame them again when they try to have sex with anybody. It's small wonder that so many young men are becoming confused, angry, and bitter.

I WANT TO PUNCH A TREE!

*sighs* Somebody get the Lorax...again...

Why? To sell him a Mazda?

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby subotai » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 pm

The recent Spider-woman cover controversy is a great example of people like the Author making idiots of themselves.

"Would they draw Spider-MAN the same way?" Yes, and they did, repeatedly. Including hyper-defined asscheeks.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:41 pm

subotai wrote:The recent Spider-woman cover controversy is a great example of people like the Author making idiots of themselves.

"Would they draw Spider-MAN the same way?" Yes, and they did, repeatedly. Including hyper-defined asscheeks.

I don't agree. Spiderman is often draw in sexual looking poses, but not to quite this extent.

The important thing to me isn't if we can find some examples of this or that character in sexualized poses. The point is, for men, looking powerful is mandatory. Looking sexy happens sometimes. For women radioactive crime fighters, looking sexy is mandatory, and they may or may not also look powerful. That's not to say cheesecake is bad or it negates her radioactivity. But I think it's worthy of consideration.

I don't know why the Spider woman cover suddenly got so much mainstream attention when this is something that has been argued over and over again over many different covers. I know many overreacted to this one particular cover but that doesn't mean there are no differences between how male and female characters are stereotypically drawn.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Hey! Jessica Drew isn't French!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby subotai » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:21 am

That's just one image, there are actually more of him, with even more ass!!!

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby subotai » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:24 am

Ultimate Spider-man, that is to say, a teenager.

Where was the manufactured outrage for this?

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:40 am

Dress him as an altar boy and there you go, 8/8 b8 m8.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 am

Yes, I'm aware of those images. Notice how his lower spine does not curve upward to make his ass as prominent as possible. He is in a position that looks like a crawling position; spider woman is not. She does not appear to be in motion, and her pose actually looks like it would hinder her movement. Her positon, and everything else about the image is purposefully made to enhance her ass. Which isn't a surprise, as the artist does pretty much nothing but erotic art for a living. Spider man's pose is somewhat sexualized, but he does not look quite like this or this. Here is what she would look like in the same pose as an actual human.

I don't want to be a dick but do I really need to explain why her pose is sexual? It seems obvious to me from looking at it.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:01 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby NotCIAAgent » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:04 am

Of course, the male version is usually played for laughs, and not as actual fanservice.

Unless, of course... it is Jojo's Bizarre Adventures. Fanservice, comedy, insanity... I... I don't even know anymore...

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:04 am

Nobody let Rob Liefeld use Kamala Khan in a story!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby LiteralHipster » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:11 am

NotCIAAgent wrote:Thing is, if half of all comic consumers are female, SOMETHING we must be doing right.

Do you have a source on that, and more importantly, on what kind of comics men and women read? This article is about superhero comics. Someone mentioned that there is a different genre of comics catering to women (Yaoi). If most men are reading superhero comics and most women are reading Yaoi, then the total readership by gender doesn't invalidate the criticisms made in the article. We kind of need that information.

LiteralHipster
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby LiteralHipster » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:15 am

EstebanColberto wrote:I've known a lot of women that read comics and either dress up as one of the sexier heroines for either Halloween or at the comic conventions and when you go to these conventions, you see literally, at least a dozen slave Leia's, several Power Girls and one time, online, I saw a very very brave woman even dress as Starfire. Am I to believe the women dressing as these characters are simultaneously offended by the character they chose to dress as?

In a sense, if they're not offended, it's kind of worse. It means they have accepted the role of sexual objects that our culture assigns to them, be it willingly or unwillingly. Women are normal people, not universally enlightened individuals who are beyond the desire of being accepted, liked, desired... If society expects this from them, it's very likely they'll do it and accept it as a normal thing. Being offended, on the other hand, shows that you are aware of this mechanism and find it unpleasant. Which can be a healthy thing, depending on your point of view.

LiteralHipster
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext