The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroes

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroes

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:58 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_22120_the-5-most-ridiculous-ways-comics-depict-sexy-superheroes.html

Our favorite (new) SJW author came up with this article today. Now that I filled my downvotes quota for the day, discussion is open.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 am
Location: 90's, Canada Wilderness
Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm really sick of seeing articles like this that have no respect for comic book artists. This article calls artists "virgins" because they don't always draw breasts correctly. They have no concept of how difficult it is to draw people all day, every day, from thousands of different angles, all on a hard deadline. You can get anatomy right 99.5% of the time, but under continuous pressure to draw, you will screw up. The human face is a whole 'nother issue. Everybody tends to draw the same face over and over, male or female. Articles like this don't really care about "social justice" or sexism, their goal seems to mainly be baseless insults.
  • 11

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:16 pm

On a deadline, when you gotta cut things up, "good enough" becomes "good e".

And as the "e" doesn't make sense, it gets further shortened to "good".
  • 1

Image
User avatar
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 am
Location: 90's, Canada Wilderness
Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah, the fanservice may be a bit much sometimes, but such a criticism isn't valid when talking about She-Hulk. Of course her boobs are large, she's a fucking hulk? Is Donovan demanding that Jennifer Walter's chest and waist just never transform with her? Because that would, you know, kill her.
  • 4

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm

I really don't get it, everything is either male power fantasy, or to appeal for males.

Strong female protagonists, sexy female protagonists, shy female protagonists, voluptuous females, plain females, "exotic" females... even Namor's tan lines are intended for males?

Edit:

Image

He is pointing his goddamn crotch at me, goddammit. I don't feel more powerful, and I certainly don't feel aroused.
  • 9

Image
User avatar
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 am
Location: 90's, Canada Wilderness
Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Tuli » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Ehh. Superhero comics are probably the one nerdy thing that is not relevant to my interests at all. The storylines are cheesy, the dialogue is cringeworthy (I especially can't stand how they have to emphasize like every other word) and the characters look like strippers (even the men). I much prefer the artstyle of, say, The Sandman. So whatever.

But I have been annoyed by the "female characters can never look less than hot" thing in general sometimes. Even supposedly evil or monstrous characters have a tendency to get sexified somehow, and it's boring! I want to see a monster, not some model in a "sexy cthulhu" Halloween costume, dammit!
  • 3

User avatar
Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm
Location: Estonia
Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Spoiler: show
Image
  • 15

Image
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:51 pm

How come these articles never talk about the comics that don't screw up? That might be more productive. If the good stuff is promoted we will see more of it.

Alex Ross.
Image

New Batgirl.
  • 11

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Someone would complain about Wonder Woman's oversized breasts, the tooth collar girl's cleavage, and pretty sure somebody would call Batgirl a "pedo treat" or some shit like that, because shitting on nerd stuff is so easy, doing so for social justice is even easier.

Sure, things gotta change, specially when females are, apparently, almost half of the consumers of comics. But are we going to get completely rid of the exaggerated stories, characters, personalities and plots, the cheese and ham that nourished us on our childhoods?
  • 1

Last edited by NotCIAAgent on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 am
Location: 90's, Canada Wilderness
Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Tuli » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:
Spoiler: show
Image


Dammit, Eric!

Spoiler: show
Image
  • 9

User avatar
Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm
Location: Estonia
Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Andropov4 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:Yeah, the fanservice may be a bit much sometimes, but such a criticism isn't valid when talking about She-Hulk. Of course her boobs are large, she's a fucking hulk? Is Donovan demanding that Jennifer Walter's chest just never transform with her? Because that would, you know, kill her.


Well, then it's too bad he didn't actually complain about her tits.

But in the world of comic books, even the daughter of the Hulk -- a green giant the size of a pregnant Hummer -- sports a stomach that's so sunken-in, you could fill it with guacamole and use it as a salsa bowl.


Judging by the illustration provided, it's a legitimate criticism.

NotCIAAgent wrote:I really don't get it, everything is either male power fantasy, or to appeal for males.

Strong female protagonists, sexy female protagonists, shy female protagonists, voluptuous females, plain females, "exotic" females... even Namor's tan lines are intended for males?


Actually, the two things he mentioned were that hugely powerful men and impossibly attractive women are both largely male fantasies. And I find it hard to argue with. I'm pretty sure that those women aren't contorting to show off both their ass and boobs for any reason except to titillate readers, mostly male ones.

Tesseracts wrote:I'm really sick of seeing articles like this that have no respect for comic book artists. This article calls artists "virgins" because they don't always draw breasts correctly. They have no concept of how difficult it is to draw people all day, every day, from thousands of different angles, all on a hard deadline. You can get anatomy right 99.5% of the time, but under continuous pressure to draw, you will screw up. The human face is a whole 'nother issue. Everybody tends to draw the same face over and over, male or female. Articles like this don't really care about "social justice" or sexism, their goal seems to mainly be baseless insults.


I'm on board with the faces thing, but these clearly aren't screw-ups and they aren't getting it "right" 99.5% of the time. It seems to me that standard operating procedure is to draw them with impossible proportions and tits that might very well just be cast iron, considering how much they move.

Now, all that being said, I do think he is overly derisive about comic book writers, illustrators, and fans. I don't know if that's how he really feels or if he was trying to play it up for comedic effect, but it came off as him just being an ass. But that doesn't invalidate all of the points he made.
  • 6

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
User avatar
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3307
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: 'Murica
Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:18 pm

Actually I have been thinking about the whole thing a bit, and I believe the ridiculous fanfics written by girls should also have a shot on the comics industry.

I mean, pretty much, comics began as that. Basement deliriums of greatness induced by Cheetos powder intoxication. So, why not give a try to the stories written by females nerds? They might be atrocious, but hell, the stuff we get published is often too. If it passes the test of the market, well, we got new products, great!

Cheese and ham of all kinds, for all tastes. Also, I can get a good laugh at it.

Image

Edit:

Well, apparently, there is such a thing as comics for females.

It is called Yaoi.

... you gals are all dirty.

Well then, maybe they should do a market research to see what the girls really like? Actually, why don't we do this now? Girls, tell how you like your comics.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 am
Location: 90's, Canada Wilderness
Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Andropov4 wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:I'm really sick of seeing articles like this that have no respect for comic book artists. This article calls artists "virgins" because they don't always draw breasts correctly. They have no concept of how difficult it is to draw people all day, every day, from thousands of different angles, all on a hard deadline. You can get anatomy right 99.5% of the time, but under continuous pressure to draw, you will screw up. The human face is a whole 'nother issue. Everybody tends to draw the same face over and over, male or female. Articles like this don't really care about "social justice" or sexism, their goal seems to mainly be baseless insults.


I'm on board with the faces thing, but these clearly aren't screw-ups and they aren't getting it "right" 99.5% of the time. It seems to me that standard operating procedure is to draw them with impossible proportions and tits that might very well just be cast iron, considering how much they move.

Now, all that being said, I do think he is overly derisive about comic book writers, illustrators, and fans. I don't know if that's how he really feels or if he was trying to play it up for comedic effect, but it came off as him just being an ass. But that doesn't invalidate all of the points he made.

The author is a woman, and judging by her tumblr, a really huge fan of Sailor Moon. If Sailor Moon doesn't have sexualized women (or more accurately, 14 year old girls), I don't know what does.

What makes you say these clearly aren't screw ups? I find it impossible to imagine any artist would draw this

Image

or this

Image

on purpose.

In Liefeld's case the fault is an unusual ignorance of human anatomy (for both men and women). However, most of these artists are perfectly good artists who screwed up because they have a deadline.

You know that saying, don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity? I think that applies here. If the goal is drawing sexy women, it's not in anyone's best interests to purposefully draw boobs badly. Nobody is attracted to women with weird, impossible anatomy. Attractive women are women who actually look like women. To say that comics purposefully draw women with ugly anatomy because they hold women to impossible standards seems like a ridiculous conspiracy theory to me, yet one many people apparently believe. Also, I'm not a comic book expert but I do believe female breasts are drawn correctly most of the time.
  • 13

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby NotCIAAgent » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I personally believe woman are drawn on ridiculous measures to match the general hyperbolic atmosphere comics usually have.

Or had.

Thing is, if half of all comic consumers are female, SOMETHING we must be doing right.

Edit: For example, on the more down to earth comics, both male and female characters are reasonably within proportions. At the same rate, comics in which males are towering muscular behemoths, women are hoties.

Thing is, and I can agree with, is that men, on hyperbolic settings, have a bigger range of shapes and sizes, from comic to intimidating, while women are, usually, limited to sexy.

At the same time, this presents a problem because there are very specific things that makes a woman easily identifiable, while men, the "slim" version of women, can be presented at more ways while still being easily identifiable. This is a problem from the design standpoint.
  • 4

Image
User avatar
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:33 am
Location: 90's, Canada Wilderness
Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Re: The 5 Most Ridiculous Ways Comics Depict Sexy Superheroe

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Tesseracts wrote:What makes you say these clearly aren't screw ups? I find it impossible to imagine any artist would draw this

^image^

or this

^image^

on purpose.


I'm blindly on your side in this regard, because you are indisputably a bona-fide artist, heavily experienced in life drawing. As far as I'm aware, Pov's masterpiece of portraiture is Stick Figure With Boobs. Even so, have we considered the possibility that instead of being a screw-up or sexist conspiracy, we're just seeing the work of people who kinda suck at what they do?
  • 1

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest