6 Insulting Movie Adaptations of Strong Female Characters

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

6 Insulting Movie Adaptations of Strong Female Characters

Postby subotai » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:52 pm

The article had the usual opinions you could disagree with, but the writer!

That's what caught my eye. Apparently Cracked is now publishing Tumblrinas, with such magnificent views taken from her blog as " Do you hate men?
I’ve gotten this multiple times weirdly. No, I don’t. I actually like quite a few very much. And if you think misandry is a real thing, you might be in the wrong place."

I wonder if this is something no-one noticed, or the very thing that got her published on the site in the first place. Saying you don't hate men is one thing, but to say misandry doesn't even exist is baffling denial.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Re: 6 Insulting Movie Adaptations of Strong Female Character

Postby subotai » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:57 pm

I just had a peep in at my comments, one person saying about the misandry thing "Are you pissed she doesn't believe Bigfoot exists either? How dare she not believe in this thing that objectively does not exist!"

The comments are basically filled with anything anti-men or, if you really want cheap votes, anti-MRA getting hordes of +1's.

It's become a sad state of affairs when the whole website disappears up it's own arse.

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:02 pm

Fun fact: a billion years ago, Maddox wrote for Cracked. Today he would probably get shot for trying.

Oh wait, men can't get shot. Only women and some black men can be shot. Men are objectively never victims of anything. Sorry.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby thatindianguy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 pm

In what universe could reading anything feminism related on tumblr.moms be a good idea?

If I want to feel like my brain is leaking from my ears I have a funnel and some turpentine.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:59 pm

tumblr wrote:Please feel free to contact me in my inbox if I do or say anything offensive. Absolutely do not hesitate to call me out. I will not publish if you indicate and I promise I won’t scream at you and will give everything the thought and discussion it deserves. i will err on the side of “odds are this person is right” for all things. And certainly, I will respect anything anyone from an oppressed group I am not a part of says I am doing to their group. I try my best to make this blog a safe space. Any tag requests, etc- feel free to ask.

That's some good news. I suppose she'd be open to criticism about anything that may be misandrist.

More stuff.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:20 pm

I didn't think the article was that bad, yeah, I disagreed with the bookends of the list and never have seen Coraline, but it doesn't exactly strike me as a travesty.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby NotCIAAgent » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 pm

And I thought this trend would end after Zoey. Cracked WANTS to be known as a liberal shithole.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby subotai » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 am

The article is forgettable, but it stuck out for me, because of the writer, and the general, almost machine-like predictability of the comments.

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:20 am

As pretty much every single article about these themes by Cracked, it left me on the fence. Yes, the Sherlock episode with Irene made me wince at some moments (goddamnit Moffat), but the other entries seemed like low-hanging fruits. I mean, Avatar: The Last Airbender? It was almost like the "sexist video game problems bigger than the boobs" one.

Tesseracts wrote:Fun fact: a billion years ago, Maddox wrote for Cracked. Today he would probably get shot for trying.

That reminded of Cracked's Doctor Who page, where whoever wrote it seemingly couldn't write John Nathan-Turner's name without calling him "retarded". I'm sure that's something that today Cracked would try to shoo the hell away.

Tesseracts wrote:Oh wait, men can't get shot. Only women and some black men can be shot. Men are objectively never victims of anything. Sorry.

Oh yeah, and then there's those lines the article had. Those came off as rather condescending to me. Call me a collaborator of the patriarchy or whatever but those ones just rubbed me the wrong way.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby subotai » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:52 am

The Cersei one seems to be the one most people agree on. She is not a strong character. She's morally and physically weak. Her intelligence and cunning isn't as powerful as she likes to think either, as Tywin brilliantly put her in her place with once.

That in itself seems to be a theme in GoT, pride before falls. Theon may have seemed a badass Barracuda when he took Winterfell, but he was swimming with sharks.

subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:34 am

So they expect a (female) character that is morally correct, competent, intelligent, cunning, physically capable, and knows how to fight in GoT that doesn't live in the middle of no fucking where or didn't had its head chopped off?

Well damn, good luck for them. I have the feeling this series will leave them unsatisfied.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:46 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:55 am

I disagree with the author's take on everything except the Last Airbender. But only because I refuse to say anything positive about the Last Airbender movie.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:09 am

FaceTheCitizen wrote:
Edgar Cabrera wrote:As pretty much every single article about these themes by Cracked, it left me on the fence. Yes, the Sherlock episode with Irene made me wince at some moments (goddamnit Moffat), but the other entries seemed like low-hanging fruits. I mean, Avatar: The Last Airbender? It was almost like the "sexist video game problems bigger than the boobs" one.

I disagree. In the show, Katara was competent, able to go toe-to-toe with tough opponents, and was even one of few people to learn a powerful, but deadly skill. In the movie, she was turned into a little bitch.

So yea, that was disappointing.

That's true, but the movie was such a tragedy that saying "it didn't respected a female character" is as significant as saying "it didn't respect the Geneva Convention".

Personally I am more pissed about Sokka than about Katara. Early on her strong character wasn't that developed, but Sokka was already a funny guy. There, he was a bore, as anyone else, and that was just sad.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby TheSyrupNugget » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Honestly, I actually think Cracked letting the Tumblr contingent start putting out more articles is a brilliant business move. Annoying? Absolutely, but they also consistently draw in clicks and reads, and those are equally valuable regardless of the level of anger expressed in the resulting comments. And were I a conspiracy theorist, I would accuse the higher-ups of making such a decision for the expressed purpose of attracting more vitriolic comments and hate-speech in a Machiavellian attempt to prove their own point about the alleged misogynistic evils of the comment section. But I'm not, so I'm just gonna take this opportunity to express that I don't actually think that's what's going on.

But if that is what they were going for, it would admittedly be a pretty brilliant Batman gambit.

Tesseracts wrote:Fun fact: a billion years ago, Maddox wrote for Cracked. Today he would probably get shot for trying.

That's actually doubly unfortunate, both because a Maddox/Seanbaby double header on the front page would go a long way toward restoring my faith in Cracked, and because I personally think he's honestly come a long way and matured a fair bit in terms of his writing over the last few years when compared to his early stuff, he's already generally a more thorough researcher than a lot of current contributors, and he'd just honestly be a fantastic addition as a guest columnist.

TheSyrupNugget
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Nugget of Syrup

Next