8 Ways the Legal System Screws Rape Victims

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

8 Ways the Legal System Screws Rape Victims

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Ugh! I'm afraid to even look at the comment section on this one. Seriously, is it bad?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: 8 Ways the Legal System Screws Rape Victims

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Looking at only the most recent comments, it's actually not too terrible (at the moment); the few awful people are getting downvoted and/or being called idiots. That being said, those idiots *are* still there, so...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Sporadically Employed

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:18 pm

I might just wait until later and read the top voted comments. I'm in no mood to bear witness to the idiots and creeps and hatemongers.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:20 pm

People really identify themselves with the evidence or description of appearance of the accused?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Cordslash » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:17 pm

It's pretty much the same as with any hot button issue. Mostly sane people get upvoted and the rest get downvoted into oblivion. It's just really sad that so many of the latter have recently started squatting on Cracked.

When I started reading the site a few years ago people like Typical Michael, ButtChocolate, JamesT, Australia, etc. were the drawing card. Not to mention the couple of months when we didn't know just how high "Captain Obvious" would get promoted. (Last I remember he was a Lt. Colonel. And Carp really needs to bring him back). And of course HarpingCarp and CarpingHarp. Plus Ashterion the spider and so many, many others.

Of course Nathan has been there forever, much like Darkstrolm and Thunderous. Not sure if that counts. But these people brought me here. I remember Notch's Cracked avatar, and Sunny's, and Kate85, and Eric and Edgar and JamishT and of course Tess, and and and etc. And Scary Mike turned out to be someone whom one of us really should have extended a hand to.

Those days also had their assholes, but they were dealt with. Now not so much.

Cracked has become so huge that they apparently invite people who are complete douchebags to comment. Eh, clicks I guess.
Best thing is to wait a few hours and sort by votes. That way you don't need to read the all of the crap.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:27 pm

In Soviet-era Russia legal system rapes you!
Wait, it's like that everywhere???
Damn, for once Russia isn't behind on the times! :)

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:26 pm

*chuckles dutifully* Serious things, even terrible things, should be laughed at every once in a while. It would be interesting to compare the Russian legal system to ours in regards to rape victims.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby EvilerDictator » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:47 pm

I saw a comment that someone had made a particularly awful comment but nobody can find it due to the amount of comments since.

That was a tough article to read. Mainly because my dad is a barrister (lawyer) ... A defence barrister. He has to deal with scum like that guy every day and because everyone deserves a fair trial well... let's say he wants to retire. The latest guy he had was a real prick. He decided he wanted a different barrister in order to get some sympathy ... a female barrister.

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Ugh. I'm sorry your Dad has to struggle so much with ethics and morals, Ms. Dictator. Sometimes the two will tangle up and fight something fierce. For what it's worth, I think he's very brave to go against his own nature (and in many cases, public opinion) to ensure that civilization holds up its end of the bargain. I hope his (eventual) retirement brings him many years of peace and leisure!

I'm looking forward to Cracked doing a "sleazy defense lawyer" exposé. It's undoubtedly a lot more complicated than people like to think it is.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby EvilerDictator » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks - he's been a barrister for a long time (pretty much straight out of university) so I think he's definitely had his fill of scumbags (and the occasional innocent I imagine). Obviously all I hear is the occasional comment (or in the case of the last client the case (actually a rape case) is the talk of the entire city night life scene so I had asked him about it - it's awful but the guy is definitely going to prison) about something he's working on but it seems tough. I did consider doing Law at university (I have a basic qualification in it already) but after I fell asleep in a murder hearing I decided it wasn't for me.

I would like to read an article like that too! I know a fair bit about the UK legal system but obviously I see stuff about the America. One on television sometimes so I would like to see how true to life shows like that are. Since we have similar shows in the UK (Law and Order UK, Silk) which were absolutely not true to UK law at all.

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 pm

CmdrVimes wrote:
Of course Nathan has been there forever, much like Darkstrolm and Thunderous. Not sure if that counts. But these people brought me here. I remember Notch's Cracked avatar, and Sunny's, and Kate85, and Eric and Edgar and JamishT and of course Tess, and and and etc.

Yes, I still have my reaper avatar saved on there. Once in a great while I make an appearance in the comments, BUT, their format doesn't compute with my totally not work computer's format and I'm unable to read them, let alone comment. Which is probably just as well.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:47 pm

There's actually people in the comments screeching about how it's too biased and needs to also dictate a pro-rape stance......
Spoiler: show

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby AboveGL » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:33 am

The article alone was fucking depressing. Thankfully, the shitstains get shot down. Unfortunately, it only takes a few to bring back the horrible trauma.

Ericthebearjew wrote:
Spoiler: show

This is often posted in a less-than-serious manner but I genuinely feel that way.

[10:11] <@JTAWAAAAAY> guys
[10:11] <@JTAWAAAAAY> I just pooped so hard I got a bloody nose
[10:11] <@JTAWAAAAAY> not joking
[10:11] <@Tesseracts> please dont make a twitter about this

Dear Vagina-Haver,
I would prefer it if you ceased your writing career, and instead focused on suicide.
Sincerely,
Lindvaettr
AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Kimperial Slut

Postby Jack Road » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Hate me if you like, but I don't see a better solution.

Here is the thing about rape, it isn't like any other crime. It is profoundly different. Because of shading.

Let me try to explain? If you rob a a bank, that is a unique event. Say 500 people use that bank everyday. None of them even come close to robbing. That might go on for months. And then someone does. Robbing a bank is profoundly different from cashing a check, or any number of things normal people do at a bank.

Rape isn't like that. Rape is a form of sex. And it fades into other types of sex very like it, but not quite. And so it becomes very difficult to prosecute against.

It is very hard to say you accidentally held a gun to a tellers head and made them empty the vault.

It is very easy to say you thought your victim was willing to have sex.

If all rape was alleyway forced, that would be different.

But most of the time rape is much more vague then that.

I hate that rapists go free and the raped feel that the justice system didn't protect them.

But I don't really see a better solution.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:31 pm

If all rape happened in an alley I think that would make it more difficult to prosecute, since there likely would be no witnesses. The woman in this article was lucky because she had a bunch of witnesses. Unfortunately even with evidence and a guilty verdict many people will still blame the victim (especially if the victim is a woman), not just with rape but with just about anything. For example when the Hannah Anderson kidnapping happened a lot of people said the teenager must have actually been the murderer because she wasn't reacting correctly on the internet. Look at the comments for this one, a bunch of them are critical and some of them even say she is disrespectful to the media for not wanting to do interviews, as if she has some kind of obligation to the media.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Next