5 Realities of Life when Your Brain Wants To Murder

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Realities of Life when Your Brain Wants To Murder

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Realities of Life when Your Brain Wants To Murder

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:49 pm

The bad comments on this article are even worse than the average bad internet comment. I will re-post some of the worst comments here.

"I bet sex with this crazy b***h is amazing. There should be some photos of her. If she wants to stay anonymous, they can blur out her face."

"You have to focus your anger and kill only people who deserve it! In the TV series Dexter, the protagonist's father recognizes Dexter's homicidal tendencies and teaches him how to use his special gift in constructive ways: killing child molesters,rapists, drug dealers, etc."

"Call me ignorant to the needs of the mentally ill, but I think the world would be a safer place if people like the one featured in this article would just off themselves."

"Dahmer was pretty much the classic case of this, having been tormented by nonstop sexual fantasies involving death and mutilation from the time he entered puberty."

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby EvilerDictator » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Just reposting what I said on the article, along the lines of 'oh shit, is that what's wrong with me I thought I was just weird'.

Seriously. I read that and I felt like shit and in no way better. I have been walking down the street and as I am passing a defenceless person get the urge to push them for no reason. Get the urge to hurt people, to assault people I either know or I don't know. Obsessing over the fear of one day somehow growing male genitalia. That one particularly freaks me the fuck out on a daily fucking basis. At least I have a name for it I guess, despite the fact I cannot go back to my doctor (made myself look a fool, am changing doctors as a result).

:(

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:34 am

I just made off color jokes 'cause I figure everyone has urges to kill every once in awhile. You're not crazy unless you act on them, like I used to! Bad urges, not killing, that is.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Wow, the comments like the ones Tess posted still keep coming.

"Where I come from, this affliction isn't called OCD, it's called being a psycho. Way to go Lydia. You're a Grade A douche. When do I get to write my article, '5 scenarios when it's okay to murder jerks'?"

"Well... you are just a psychopath."

"This, along with nearly every other mental 'disorder' is a bunch of weak minded babies crying over how life is so hard. Man the fuck up."

Someone also suggested that she had "demons." I'm Catholic and even I can see how stupidly rude this person's comment is. Either that or it was the most misguided Slenderman joke ever.

Last edited by Edgar Cabrera on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby AboveGL » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Edgar Cabrera wrote:"This, along with nearly every other mental "disorder" is a bunch of weak minded babies crying over how life is so hard. Man the fuck up."

A lot of these comments are crappy enough but this one has SO many things wrong with it.

Jesus fucking Christ.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 pm

I guess maybe the OCD part of this comes from it being difficult to suppress these urges? I don't really get it. I'm not mocking at all, please believe me. I just know that I get urges like these all the time. Hell, Bill Burr even has a segment about it on one of his stand-ups. You see some random person and you suddenly wonder what it would be like to just haul off and punch them really hard in the trachea. Or you think about how easy it would be to just slam something heavy into the base of their cerebellum.

These urges fly up, and I just bat them down. They aren't hard to bat down, because killing someone for no reason isn't really worth any of the consequences. So does this disorder make it more difficult to fight those urges? Or is it like those people who have constant orgasms, where the annoyance is the frequency, not the intensity?

EvilerDictator wrote:Obsessing over the fear of one day somehow growing male genitalia.

Not to make light of this, but I'm not sure what you are terrified of. They unlock so many doors...

Edit: Just to be clear, this is a joke. And not a good one. Not sure why I made it. Moving on.

That One Cracked Comment wrote:"This, along with nearly every other mental "disorder" is a bunch of weak minded babies crying over how life is so hard. Man the fuck up."

I have some sympathy for people like this, because this is what my family believes, and it is what I was taught. It's a poisonous, vicious little belief, because it not only keeps you from empathizing with people having difficulty, it also leads to self-doubt and hatred. Because any disorder you might have, you categorize as weakness, and the more you can't get rid of it yourself, the weaker you think you are. I still do this to myself, and I know better.

Last edited by Jack Road on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:36 pm

JackRoad wrote:
Evilerdictator wrote:Obsessing over the fear of one day somehow growing male genitalia.

Not to make light of this, but I'm not sure what you are terrified of. They unlock so many doors...

That's... not how you open a door...

"This, along with nearly every other mental "disorder" is a bunch of weak minded babies crying over how life is so hard. Man the fuck up."

I have some sympathy for people like this, because this is what my family believes, and it is what I was taught. It's a poisonous, vicious little belief, because it not only keeps you from empathizing with people having difficulty, it also leads to self-doubt and hatred. Because any disorder you might have, you categorize as weakness, and the more you can't get rid of it yourself, the weaker you think you are. I still do this to myself, and I know better.

I think people saying that mental disorders is just weak whiny crybabies is both counter to reality, and deeply offensive to me. I get that some people want to live in denial of their problems, and make believe that everything's okay and nothing is wrong and everyone that has a problem is just weak, but I agree with you that it's fundamentally unhealthy to hold so strongly to that view.

The other problem I have with this is that there are plenty of mental health problems that arise from real actual brain chemistry problems and don't go away when you think really hard at them. Manning up doesn't work when you're bipolar, or suffering hallucinations.

Things that are relevant to the article:

I've had thoughts like that. Hell I've had some terrible violent intrusive thoughts. My dreams are filled with that kind of stuff, and I don't think I have anything like Pure O. The way the article is written sounds like a viewpoint of mental illness I understand, so if people are making horrible comments exhorting the anonymous writer to "man up" then they've both missed the point and demonstrated their entire lack of grasp of the situation.

I guess maybe the OCD part of this comes from it being difficult to suppress these urges? I don't really get it. I'm not mocking at all, please believe me. I just know that I get urges like these all the time. Hell, Bill Burr even has a segment about it on one of his stand-ups. You see some random person and you suddenly wonder what it would be like to just haul off and punch them really hard in the trachea. Or you think about how easy it would be to just slam something heavy into the base of their cerebellum.

These urges fly up, and I just bat them down. They aren't hard to bat down, because killing someone for no reason isn't really worth any of the consequences. So does this disorder make it more difficult to fight those urges? Or is it like those people who have constant orgasms, where the annoyance is the frequency, not the intensity?

I think the OCD (or Pure O, which I suppose is meant to depict pure obsession, rather than compulsion) part is based in the consistent, intrusive and irrepressible nature of the thoughts. As the article states, it's not about blocking the thoughts, but almost like turning them aside. I'd say it's classed as a disorder because there is no easy solution, but requires constant effort to deflect. It's like the baseline is this, and trying to deviate from it is in itself harmful.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:10 pm

Marcuse wrote:
JackRoad wrote:
Evilerdictator wrote:Obsessing over the fear of one day somehow growing male genitalia.

If you're not unlocking doors with your dick, then your not using your dick correctly.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Jack Road wrote:I guess maybe the OCD part of this comes from it being difficult to suppress these urges? I don't really get it. I'm not mocking at all, please believe me. I just know that I get urges like these all the time. Hell, Bill Burr even has a segment about it on one of his stand-ups. You see some random person and you suddenly wonder what it would be like to just haul off and punch them really hard in the trachea. Or you think about how easy it would be to just slam something heavy into the base of their cerebellum.

She doesn't feel any genuine urge to kill people. The reason this is an obsession for her is because she finds it disturbing and immoral. From reading the article, I thought this was obvious, but I guess I'm wrong since so many of the comments don't understand this at all. This is why people with this disorder don't act on their thoughts, they don't want to. However, they have the constant, irrational fear that they will. People with this disorder don't always feel the urge to kill people. Another comment obsession is the fear of being homosexual, despite not feeling any actual homosexual desires. Or, as the author mentioned, the fear of molesting a child even though she feels no sexual attraction to children.

At first I assumed this article was going to be about somebody with actual homicidal urges, but that's an entirely different issue.

Well, technically, mental illness is definitely weakness. Like, if you break your arm, that's also weakness. That doesn't mean the cure for a broken arm is to "man up" and exercise the arm harder.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:32 pm

EvilerDictator wrote:Just reposting what I said on the article, along the lines of 'oh shit, is that what's wrong with me I thought I was just weird'.

Seriously. I read that and I felt like shit and in no way better. I have been walking down the street and as I am passing a defenceless person get the urge to push them for no reason. Get the urge to hurt people, to assault people I either know or I don't know. Obsessing over the fear of one day somehow growing male genitalia. That one particularly freaks me the fuck out on a daily fucking basis. At least I have a name for it I guess, despite the fact I cannot go back to my doctor (made myself look a fool, am changing doctors as a result).

:(

Unless you're Japanese or Dominican, you have nothing to worry about.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:
Marcuse wrote:
JackRoad wrote:

If you're not unlocking doors with your dick, then your not using your dick correctly.

There's no need to be cockey.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Jack Road » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Well, technically, mental illness is definitely weakness. Like, if you break your arm, that's also weakness. That doesn't mean the cure for a broken arm is to "man up" and exercise the arm harder.

I'm glad you chose that analogy, because I wasn't able to think of one and this suits what I was thinking perfectly.

Mental illness is like any other illness. Manage it yourself instead of going to a doctor. Unless if you totally can't, like you are about to die or something. You don't want to be one of those pansy asses that shows up at the emergency room like "I have a boo-boo" do you? Well you don't want to show up at the therapist like "sometimes I have no-no thoughts." Don't be weak. The world is brutal and cold and doesn't give a shit about you, and nobody else does either, so just man the fuck up and focus on surviving.

That's the sort of twisted logic I was fed, and the sort of inane bullshit that is fed to so many people. Especially down here. I didn't realize until I was 17 years old that you could actually go to a doctor because you wanted to accomplish something, like losing weight or quitting smoking. I always thought you only went to doctors if there was a crisis.

So that's why I have sympathy for commentators like this. Not because I think what they are saying is accurate or appropriate. But because I was them until very recently.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:15 pm

But wouldn't life be made somewhat easier by not having such a philosophy in the first place? Is there supposed to be some sort of appeal? Why would people willingly choose to make things difficult for themselves? Humanity is quite the mystery.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Eric wrote:But wouldn't life be made somewhat easier by not having such a philosophy in the first place?

It's never that simple. Nobody wants to admit to themselves that they're struggling, let alone to others. I know I denied having any mental health issue for most of my life, because I didn't want to admit to myself that I needed help. In order to change the philosophy, you'd need to have knowledge of how, objectively, that philosophy is harmful, but most people who have thought like that (including me) have convinced themselves that their philosophy is most useful. Maybe for some people it is more useful, I know I was much more able to cope when I wasn't constantly thinking about my anxiety problems. But I also know that had other consequences, and I don't think it's right to subject people to those consequences.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Next