6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexual

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexual

Postby Bert » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:59 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_21988_6-weird-ways-world-looks-different-when-youre-asexual.html

This came up in IRC and caused some debate, so lets bring that here.

#6. Without Sex, Much of the World is Nonsense

I kind of related to some of this through my autism, in that people in a movie or real life do what to you are seemingly irrational things because you don't understand that aspect of their mind.

#4. You Can Be Asexual and Still Enjoy Sex

This one was the main point of argument and I still don't really get it. I guess it could mean the equipment still works but you just don't have the desire to use it. Interestingly enough, the Wikipedia page has a citation saying some asexuals have sex purely to please a romantic partner or because they want children. That behavior certainly isn't restricted to asexuals.

Anyways, I'd love to hear thoughts on it.
  • 6

"Condoms are a sign of a bad relationship." -Kate

"We have been here a while. We are not clean people." -Typical Michael
User avatar
Bert
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: The Street
Show rep

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Why do I think Cracked just phoned in the research with this one?
  • 3

User avatar
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am
Location: You'll Never Know!
Show rep

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby archaeologydalek » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 pm

REDACTED
  • 2

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:36 pm
Show rep

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby LaoWai » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Well, I for one definitely have sex purely to please a romantic partner...Ladies...
  • 4

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
User avatar
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: 中国
Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Well I'm asexual, as I've said before, and here's my view.

#6. Yeah, pretty much. I'm aware of the fact that sex and sexual attraction are a big deal to most adults and you get used to the sort of ways people react when something relates to that, but just about anything involving sex or 'hot' members of either sex being used to make something non-sexual look attractive is either boring, baffling, or embarrassing - or frequently, all of the above.

#5. Well I didn't know asexuals existed until about 18 months ago, though it'd been clear to me that I wasn't 'normal' for years before that.

People also tend to confuse asexuality with a lack of gender, which is kind of understandable given how little publicised it is because the same word also applies to species that reproduce by mitosis.

The thing that bugs me is that I have no box to tick for orientation on those equal opportunities forms that ask you about all the things they have to make sure they aren't discriminating by. That's how little awareness there is of asexuality: there's not even an 'other' box, they figure they've covered all possibilities with straight, gay, and bi. And it's a bit bothersome in light of what's said in #1 about discrimination against asexuals.

#4.
Spoilered for TMI
Well I can only speak for myself but I am capable of having and enjoying orgasms - I mean it doesn't seem like anything to get as excited about as people seem to so maybe I'm like Andy in the article who reckons that his orgasms are fainter than most people's. But not with other people, in my experience. Because that's gross and embarrassing and awkward. The thought of anyone else touching my bits, or of touching anyone else's - let alone my bits and their bits touching each other - is extremely off-putting.

I've never gone all the way, and I've only been in one relationship, so my experience is limited, but yeah, never felt anything when we did stuff. Other than, you know, the physical feeling, which was usually a sort of unpleasant combination of tickling and poking and sometimes chafing. And stickiness and the knowledge that this is gross and worrying about the fact that he never seemed to wash his hands afterwards and fretting over whether he'd try and do anything oral.


#3. Hell yes. I'm heteroromantic. I don't get attracted to physical characteristics, which I guess makes sense when a fully-clothed cuddle and maybe a kiss without tongues is as much physical relationship as I have any desire for. So I tend not to feel attracted to someone until I've known them for a while. Typically with a sexual bloke this means if they were attracted to me they said so before I had any inkling of liking them in another way than friendship and I probably just told them I wasn't looking for a relationship.

I don't think I could make a relationship with a sexual man work. I don't think I would feel ok about an open relationship, and I don't think me being in a sexual relationship could work any better than my partner never having sex would.

So while I hope to meet the 'right man' some day I guess the right man would have to be asexual. That's all well and good but because I don't feel attraction until I've known someone for a while, the idea of dating sites or going out to meet people with the specific intention of finding a boyfriend doesn't seem like a feasible approach, and just happening to meet a guy I love who also loves me is a bit unlikely when said guy would have to be part of a pretty small minority.
  • 13

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 6992
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 am

CarrieVS wrote:So while I hope to meet the 'right man' some day I guess the right man would have to be asexual. That's all well and good but because I don't feel attraction until I've known someone for a while, the idea of dating sites or going out to meet people with the specific intention of finding a boyfriend doesn't seem like a feasible approach, and just happening to meet a guy I love who also loves me is a bit unlikely when said guy would have to be part of a pretty small minority.


So, would you say that it's bad to be asexual (but not aromantic), because it impairs your chances of finding a partner?
  • 1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:27 am

Aquila89 wrote:So, would you say that it's bad to be asexual (but not aromantic), because it impairs your chances of finding a partner?


I wouldn't say it's bad but it has challenges, as most things do.
  • 5

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 6992
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 am

So, if it was possible to change it, you wouldn't?
  • 1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 am

No, I don't think so. Of course if I wasn't asexual I'd be a different person and likely just as happy, but I don't go round wishing I wasn't.
  • 5

The Dungeon Master wrote:Those who don't want to be baptised, make a dexterity saving throw.
User avatar
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt
 
Posts: 6992
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm
Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Swamp Thing

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Some of this is very confusing. I don't knowknow where to begin with this one.
  • 0

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9633
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 6 Weird Ways the World Looks Different When You're Asexu

Postby Jack Road » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:34 pm

I guess I've never thought of asexuals as being victims of violence. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they were, just interesting.

I don't get violence towards homosexuals, but I understand the drive behind it. Several major world religions angry at them historically, machismo, fear, ect.

If an asexual doesn't come out, they are just viewed as people that don't have sex, like married people. Hell, the religions screaming at homosexuals have entire castes of people that don't have sex.

So where is the violence coming from?
  • 4

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 pm
Show rep


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest