4 Reasons The Walking Dead Hates Humans More Than Zombies

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

4 Reasons The Walking Dead Hates Humans More Than Zombies

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:42 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_21928_4-things-the-walking-dead-gets-wrong-about-apocalypse.html
A lot of apocalypse and atompunk writers seem to have a pressing need for everybody to be this guy:
Spoiler: show

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 4 Reasons The Walking Dead Hates Humans More Than Zombie

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:20 am

Eh, he does have a point.

I can't believe I said that. Goddammit.

The only points I contend with are: Yes, humans have recovered from apocalyptic scenarios, but it takes a while to recover. How long would it take, I dunno, but I'd like to think it'll take more than 18 months, at least.

Second: Telutan pointed this out in the comments, so I'll just copy-pasta what he said:

Telutan wrote:About #2, are you trying to say Woodberry and Terminus fell apart because nobody had jobs...? Because that's not even close to true. In both places, and our group after restoring the prison, everyone had jobs. Woodberry and the prison both fell apart because of one man, the Governor. His greed and lust for revenge ruined things, not some bickering amongst the community. Terminus fell apart because they didn't realize they were screwing with the wrong people.

These people ARE cooperating, and successfully. Shane ruined it at the farm, the Gov ruined it at the prison. There's always someone who tries to take advantage of a bad situation by exploiting others, and both times it got people killed. Seems to me like the show has gotten that part right.

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby DashaBlade » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:46 am

Eh, historically speaking, humans have always kind of gone to crap when a society collapses or is on the verge of collapse. Romans resorting to cannibalism, Europeans going all witch-burning-crazy, family members abandoning the sick during plagues, people drinking the poison Kool-Aid.

Shows like Walking Dead are just about the fear that we're a power outage away from Lord of the Flies at any given moment. And given how humanity has dealt with this shit in the past, I wouldn't expect a horror show to be the one trying to spread hope.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Jack Road » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:17 am

If zombies were even remotely possible, they would be dealt with extremely quickly. Because they are a concept we have worked with for ages. Hence the golden rule of all zombie stories.

Nobody in a zombie story has ever heard of zombies, before zombies happen.

Exception: Satirical Zombie Movies, Really Bad Zombie Movies.

But that is what zombie stories are about, which is why we give them such a willing suspension of disbelief. They are, like all good horror, about our fear of the unknown. In this case, the fear of the unknown in our fellow people and ourselves.

[Road forgets what his point was and rambles on about zombies. You can ignore him at this point.]

Spoiler: show
Any virus based zombie would be, in reality, handled in less than a decade, with barely a dip in our march towards whatever it is we are marching towards.

Zombie as bio-terror weapons would be more effective. But very difficult to pull off, since we have, like, laws and shit for that. You'd need a massive first world government, with a dedication towards flouting the Geneva Conventions, and a deep seated fear or hatred of other countries that is mirrored by its citizens. Which is what I've always said, all bio-terror zombies have to be either US or Russian.

My favorite concept really directs the fear back at the reader. But only a handful of stories have done this that I know of, mostly Japanese. It involves a a mutation of a previously harmless/helpful endosymbiotic organelle that crawled into our species eons ago and never left. Or some reboot of long dead DNA. It's the most likely cause of the Walking Dead zombies, although I doubt they will actually go that route. You might recognize it as the "Mother Nature is Noah's Ark-ing her kids" theme popular with Tolkien and a bunch of Japanese manga/anime authors.

I think that would be the most difficult zombie to beat, but the organelle responsible would have to be somehow sentient in order to get the timing right. It wouldn't work if it was just a mutation spread by reproduction alone, we'd weed those people out pretty quick. If you don't think we would, ask yourself if you could see marrying a person who would turn into a ravenous flesh eating monster if they suddenly died in bed. Or having a baby with them, and if the baby dies in utero, it would eat you from the inside out.

Because of the whole having to be sentient thing, these stories tend to have a dense underbelly of mysticism associated with them. Which is why I hope Walking Dead goes that route.

[Road remembers what his point was.]

A lot of people have analysed zombie movies and found the primary exploited fear to be our fear of mobs. I don't deny that is a huge part of it. But more recently I think a new exploited fear is vying for top slot. Our fear of the fragility of life. Or more direct, the fear of the bottom dropping out. Honestly I think this element has always been in there, but really started to flesh when the zombie mythos moved into comics.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Not to be that guy or anything but technically zombies are humans. That's like saying Game of Thrones hates humans more than dwarves or The Lion King hates hyenas more than animals.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel