4 Signs You Need to Spend Less Time Online

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

4 Signs You Need to Spend Less Time Online

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Today will go down in history as the day Cracked commenters are declared "alright."

I have an unhealthy fascination with comment sections. There are some intelligent ones out there, and most Cracked commenters are pretty alright (except BonerLorde420 ... you know what you've done). But as a general rule, they're cesspools of hatred and anger, and browsing them is the closest we can legally come to opening human zoos.

I thought this article was pretty good, although I don't agree with #3. I think it's because I at least partially tend to avoid the dumber parts of the internet. I wrote a comment about it.

I think this article is insightful and well written, but I don't agree with #3. Maybe it's partly because I'm a woman who is often on male-dominated internets so I don't have the option of assuming everyone is like me. The internet doesn't make me think everyone is the same, it's really very much the opposite. For example, practically everyone I know in real life is liberal. When I go on the internet, I remember Republicans exist, and shockingly, some of them are actually intelligent, decent people. One of the things I really like about the internet is the ability to talk to all sorts of people. I know people who live in India. I know people who live in the middle of the woods off the grid and are only online due to solar panels. I know people who are way older than me and way younger than me. In real life I feel like the people I run into are much more similar to myself.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 4 Signs You Need to Spend Less Time Online

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:36 pm

The thing about "local news" applies to me. Unfortunately, in my case, "local" means my entire country, because I spend most of my time on English-language websites. Often I know more about the American political situation than the Hungarian one. And that is a Bad Thing.

his grandmother starved to death during the Cultural Revolution.

Didn't he mean the Great Leap Forward?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:07 pm

I did enjoy his observation that he presumes other people on the internet are white and male like himself. That is something I myself do.

When the internet was brand new, I was part of the majority online. It seemed like all white men in those days. When someone new did raise their head, we accosted them until they started pretending they were also white men. Most of us did not accost with anything mean, we were just excited, and I think our enthusiasm added to the problem.

Now it is impossible that that is the case, but I still have a tendency to assume a physical type based on username and avatar, status and position.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Nullbert » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 pm

The ultimate irony would have been including several links to TV Tropes within the article.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard