Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service Dog

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:38 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
Spoiler: show
I reacted negatively because I was tired of reading "the article says..."

What I'm saying is NOT that people are faking to get real PTSD dogs-- people are faking so they can bring whatever filth-ridden pet they're attached to on planes, i.e. fake PTSD, and fake service animal-- and we're not allowed to call them out.

That brings me back to my opinion that we need to tighten what constitutes PTSD, because (for example):

    My parents strapped me (for stealing from Mom's purse),
    My parents called me a variety of names, all meaning stupid, for failing to achieve "to my potential,"
    I was stabbed by (gay?) thugs who tried to rape me in Deering Oaks Park in 1977,
    My ex-wife bit me, punched me, pinched me hard enough to leave bruises, and hit me in the head with my son's rolled up and taped urine-soaked diaper, giving me a concussion,
    I watched my father die in the Emergency Room of the hospital where I worked,

and I still function just fine in regular society. I honestly don't think people are as sensitive as they're made out to be.

Some of the incidents you describe could have triggered PTSD, though most such incidents would not. You may not have terrors and flashbacks from these incidents but it is highly uncharitable of you to judge people who do as if it's a moral failing. It's also completely irrelevant to the issue here, since without a trained PTSD dog (which is an actual service dog) PTSD sufferers' emotional support dogs have the same rights that those for people with anxiety and depression have, and anxiety and depression are both more common than PTSD and far easier to fake.
  • 6

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8187
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:12 am

To be clear, those are only the five I'm willing to share (and to be blunt, in dismissing what I said, you're just as guilty as what you accuse me of, IMO). There are far worse ones, and my wife has had even worse ones than I have. My sisters have had worse; many of my friends have had it pretty bad; many of you have had traumatic experiences, and none of us need Comfort Pigs or some other type of live teddy bear to fly. Some asshole who is faking it so they don't have to be alone, or kennel their pet is cheapening a very real mental health condition, and it needs to stop.

Yes, I am combining two issues here:

1. In my opinion, people are far more resilient than we (now) are willing to admit or allow/encourage, and because we aren't, we've created a culture of trauma that conflates minor issues and lessens major ones, in the vein of "if everyone is sick, then no-one is."
2. Because of this, assholes are taking advantage of it and subjecting us to literal shit on airplanes.
  • 4

Erogenous zones, I love you.
Without you, what would a poor boy do?
User avatar
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 am
Show rep
Title: Oldest member of TCS

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby Tesseracts » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:44 am

Jeff I don’t really understand what your point is. It seems to me like you’re saying people just shouldn’t get PTSD, which I’m probably not understanding correctly but I don’t know why you’re accusing people of not being resilient enough. You can’t predict what people will get traumatized by.

I think you’re misunderstanding the problem with emotional support animals by insisting they aren’t necessary. Nobody believes they are necessary. I don’t think the people who have them think they’re necessary either. The woman in this article just seems to love breaking rules and knows she has no genuine need for the dog.
  • 7

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9587
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:48 am

I don't know why you think I'm dismissing your experiences. Because I'm saying "just because you didn't get PTSD from those things doesn't mean other people wouldn't"?

Regarding your first point, this sounds like the stereotypical old guy complaining that the world has gone soft. I know some very smart people who get upset with stupid people being stupid, because they assume everybody must be secretly as smart as they are. You seem to be doing the same thing, only with emotional resilience.

Regarding your second point: yes, that's a problem, but it seems like you're roping a pet hypothesis of yours (PTSD is overdiagnosed) into a domain where PTSD is almost completely irrelevant.
  • 8

User avatar
cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 8187
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 pm
Location: Three miles from the bat bridge
Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby SandTea » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:06 am

"need" =/= "want".

Saying people should never need support animals is ignoring their, scientifically proven, helpfulness.

If anyone is just against people wanting to take their schnauzer on a roller coaster or whatnot, I think most people would agree. If the standing is that since bad stuff happens to everyone, no one should have any more support than someone else needs, that's where the disagreement would come from. In my opinion.

On the article, It takes some serious cojones to come forward about... this. I'm not surprised she was able to speak so detached from her actions. It is presumptuous, but I'm betting reality show actor. It's exactly the kind of thing I would expect from.... Oops, this is starting to get political.

SandTea- signing off---
  • 2

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby Windy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Everything people do is fake anyways
  • 3

User avatar
Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am
Show rep

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Windy wrote:Everything people do is fake anyways

True Windy, we are all fake in our own way. Just wearing different masks for different groups. And one day we wear the wrong mask for the wrong group and we get crucified.


Lost my train of thought, bit off topic.
  • 4

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 am

Windy wrote:Everything people do is fake anyways


I typed out this post?

Image
  • 4

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:34 am

Mirrors are definitely fake because our eyes aren't real.
  • 2

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 am

  • 1

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby Krashlia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Emotional support peacock, FTW!


Saw that one last night. She needs that majestic birds colored feathers. its the only therapy she has.

Also, is that actually Jaden, or is he just screwing with his audience?
  • 1

User avatar
Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 am
Show rep

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am

Krashlia wrote:Also, is that actually Jaden, or is he just screwing with his audience?


Image
  • 1

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm

United Airlines bans "emotional support peacock" from flight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42880690
  • 2

User avatar
Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord
 
Posts: 6471
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm
Show rep

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Marcuse wrote:United Airlines bans "emotional support peacock" from flight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42880690

Image


Whoa, deja vu...
  • 4

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Healthy People Are Faking Disabilities To Get A Service

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm

Once again, real life is roughly twenty years behind the Simpsons:

Image
  • 4

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Don't you dare go Hollow.
User avatar
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm
Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests