Cracked fires its full time contributors?

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Re: Cracked fires its full time contributors?

Postby phreestyle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

There is an interesting conversation between Michael Swain and Daniel O'Brien that covers a lot of territory. They talk about the internal culture of Cracked, the nature of internet content and where to next.

It's over an hour long, so there's a commitment of time, but enjoyable and insightful. Check it out.

Unfortunately, they sound like a couple of recently unemployed guys who are trying to work out what to do next. Meanwhile their savings and bank-ability disappears.

Also John Cheese has launched a website with a few familiar names.

http://www.themodernrogue.com/

Life's a journey. Enjoy the trip.
phreestyle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 pm

OMG you guys the modern rogue shop sells a wrist mounted flamethrower.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby AboveGL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 am

Phree, thanks for sharing all of that. Their comments on the internal culture were deeply insightful.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Phree, thanks for the link to the modern rogue. Between that and bunny ears, I've now got two good places to look for former crackedteers. Plus, at least one article on the rogue gave a linked shout-out to the bunns, so they're not locked in some brutal competition.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby gregfrankenstein » Sun May 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Can I be honest? I just found out this week. Some part of it is the rock I've been living under. Emotional and life crap has lead me to fall behind on podcasts on drop off the planet on this forum.

Mostly though? This got no coverage. Not one Wired article. No statement from Cracked. All I can find are tweets, this thread, and a bunch of right-wing/pick-up artist sites celebrating the demise of an "SJW" site. Admittedly I thought it was suspicious that their content became a dark void. Their Facebook posts consisted of reposting ancient articles and some of the worst Photoplasties I had ever seen. Really, even as a Photoplasty goes, they looked like they were judged by a twelve-year-old boy. I had heard rumblings that they got rid of all their good writers, but I thought that was the usual "Cracked has gone downhill" complaints that have gone on for years, especially since the election. I also heard their YouTube channel was dead, but I thought, "Oh, they must have switched to some other platform." I mean, YouTube's monetization has been in the crapper. Even the Angry Video Game Nerd seems to be moving toward Amazon Prime. It never hit me that there had been a complete bloodbath.

When I finally knew what had happened, I felt sick that for six months, I had been commenting on their Facebook posts, mostly disagreeing with people. I was supporting this husk of a website that now exists only for cynical clickbait, like Buzzfeed but without even the spectre of legitimate content. I also learned how much I had been relying on my YouTube subscription for their video content. When that stopped, I was in the dark.

Honestly though? How much of their traffic is from people who know what After Hours is? How many people watched the sketches and the pop culture analysis? We're a niche, and most of their clicks come from their provocative, inaccurate article titles that they change every hour. I hope their talent ends up somewhere that actually wants them, and based on the Patreons I see popping up, many of them already have.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Bannef » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Daniel O'Brien is working for John Oliver's Last Week Tonight! I saw his name in the credits, and then held my breath until I checked his Twitter page (it's not an uncommon name...) but it's him!

I can't think of a better place for a person who loves presidents, pop culture, and politics. I'm really excited for him. I haven't check on Swaim recently, and I have a medical issue that has made navigating the Internet difficult, but I really hope he is doing just as awesome.

Bannef
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Good for Dan

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AboveGL » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 pm

I believe Swaim is still going strong with Small Beans, at least. I've enjoyed the odd show.

Which reminds me, I need to check in with that channel, I'm not sure what their latest video is (but I've not been checking my YT subs lately, so there's that).

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:54 am

DOB also did a recent 'college humor' skit called ""Um, Actuality" in which he was boss af.

Damn I miss the YT branch of the old cracked....

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Krashlia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm

SandTea wrote:DOB also did a recent 'college humor' skit called ""Um, Actuality" in which he was boss af.

Damn I miss the YT branch of the old cracked....

Goodness, he's actually that way in real life.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous