The following people are dumb: idiots on the internet

Polls everywhere, but not a single dancer. Intelligence optional.

Re: The following people are dumb: idiots on the internet

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:08 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:

What's so stupid about this? It's probably accurate. Even if it's not it's a matter of opinion.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Read the review. The main complaint is that the movie requires you to have seen all of these Marvel movies and actually bothered to care about them and think about them after watching them.

Oh and it's also an advertisement for all the previous movies. It's really almost like Marvel wanted you to watch all their movies before seeing this one. Why would they ever do such a thing? Could you imagine if an author wrote a book but expected you to have read previous works?

How out of touch is the reviewer? My favorite part of the article:

(Even the title suggests a comment on the current state of American foreign policy.)

Yup. Sure is. That's exactly what they thought of when Infinity War came out. In 1992.

That's definitely getting the Bunk smh gif
Spoiler: show

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Just, does nobody remember the old time-y serials of the 1940s?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Marcuse » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:06 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Read the review. The main complaint is that the movie requires you to have seen all of these Marvel movies and actually bothered to care about them and think about them after watching them.

Oh and it's also an advertisement for all the previous movies. It's really almost like Marvel wanted you to watch all their movies before seeing this one. Why would they ever do such a thing? Could you imagine if an author wrote a book but expected you to have read previous works?

How out of touch is the reviewer? My favorite part of the article:

(Even the title suggests a comment on the current state of American foreign policy.)

Yup. Sure is. That's exactly what they thought of when Infinity War came out. In 1992.

That's definitely getting the Bunk smh gif
Spoiler: show

This is basically what I was going to say. Apparently this particular review is being savaged online right now, so I guess it's zeitgeisty at least.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue May 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Just, does nobody remember the old time-y serials of the 1940s?

I tried but all the characters just showed up with no introduction when I watched the 15th episode.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Mon May 14, 2018 1:57 pm

This reminds me of the Plinkett Rogue One comments review, where someone mocked him saying "They have to explain what the force is now?" and Plinkett just straight up put up clips from Empire and Jedi /specifically/ explaining the fucking force and Han Solo's motivation to anyone who'd watch them first.

Movies needing to play their characters so they work on their own is a perfectly good criticism. Most classic movies manage that perfectly well. Sarah Conner T2 is badass and doesn't need the context of Sarah Conner T1 to work. John Connor was barely a character in T1 so he got explained all over again and the horrors of Judgement Day were shown off in the iconic playground scene in T2(Which again, is explaining the premise in a sequel).

There's so many examples of this. I'm surprised you guys thought it wasn't a valid criticism.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:This reminds me of the Plinkett Rogue One comments review, where someone mocked him saying "They have to explain what the force is now?" and Plinkett just straight up put up clips from Empire and Jedi /specifically/ explaining the fucking force and Han Solo's motivation to anyone who'd watch them first.
*yt clipped*

Movies needing to play their characters so they work on their own is a perfectly good criticism. Most classic movies manage that perfectly well. Sarah Conner T2 is badass and doesn't need the context of Sarah Conner T1 to work. John Connor was barely a character in T1 so he got explained all over again and the horrors of Judgement Day were shown off in the iconic playground scene in T2(Which again, is explaining the premise in a sequel).

There's so many examples of this. I'm surprised you guys thought it wasn't a valid criticism.

19th movie in the series, not 2nd or 3rd. You don't need to see the first two Thor movies to enjoy Ragnarok and you don't need to see the first two Iron Man films to understand the third. You could skip Avengers and see Age of Ultron.

But when multiple movie franchises are being tied together it would be a good idea to see as much of them as you can before reading watching the crossover. Infinity War isn't just Thor, Cap'n, Hulk, and Iron Man coming together like The Avengers of 2012. You've got Spidey, Black Panther, Ant-Man, The Guardians, and Dr. Strange involved now.

I crossed out reading but really that's the comparison. You can't properly review the crossover event if you're choosing to ignore the individual issues that came before it.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Rogue One was the eighth Star Wars movie, it's still perfectly natural to criticize it for relying too much on people being impressed because VADER killed the faceless assholes, instead of some fresh villain without 40 years of memetic badassness to use as a crutch.

If everything interesting about the movie comes from outside the movie, why bother with the movie?

Star Wars is like the best example of why this criticism exists and is needed. How much of the prequel trilogy's defense is just repeating things that are outside the prequels?

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 am

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Rogue One was the eighth Star Wars movie, it's still perfectly natural to criticize it for relying too much on people being impressed because VADER killed the faceless assholes, instead of some fresh villain without 40 years of memetic badassness to use as a crutch.

The difference is in what you describe here: in Rogue One, they just expect you to be impressed because Vader's in it and you know who Vader is, but it's not actually about Vader. Whereas Infinity War is a direct continuation of the characters' story. They shouldn't have to reintroduce each of these characters every new film.

If everything interesting about the movie comes from outside the movie, why bother with the movie?

I think it's bizarre to criticise a film that's meant to be part of the wrap-up of a series for expecting you to have seen, or at least have some awareness of, the previous films in that series. Infinity War is very good as a chapter in a larger story, and that's all it was ever sold as.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue May 15, 2018 2:28 am

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Rogue One was the eighth Star Wars movie, it's still perfectly natural to criticize it for relying too much on people being impressed because VADER killed the faceless assholes, instead of some fresh villain without 40 years of memetic badassness to use as a crutch.

Star Wars is like the best example of why this criticism exists and is needed. How much of the prequel trilogy's defense is just repeating things that are outside the prequels?

I don't get the Star Wars comparison here. Rogue One was a prequel standalone not the 19th episode. It was about a killer space station, all the characters except Tarkin, Vader, and someone else at the end, had to be introduced because they were not yet established in the prior 7 films. A new Force using villain would make zero sense in the context of Rogue One being a direct prequel to Star Wars. Also considering we haven't seen Vader do anything remotely cool since 1983 why wouldn't people be impressed by his expression of violence?

Everything interesting comes from outside the movies these days because of greed. Buy the books, the video games, the soundtrack, the comics, the other 12 comic series that feed into the one you're mainly reading, read all the interviews, watch all the youtube short filmsbladerunner, watch the companion TV show, make your life revolve around your fandom and you'll be good.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue May 15, 2018 8:47 am

Tesseracts wrote:What's so stupid about this? It's probably accurate. Even if it's not it's a matter of opinion.

I'm not the New Yorker guy, I'm just explaining that the criticism exists. As Tess said at the start, whether it applies is a matter of opinion.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Delta Jim » Thu May 31, 2018 12:11 am

And the gold medal for mental gymnastics goes to...

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep