The following people are dumb: idiots on the internet

Polls everywhere, but not a single dancer. Intelligence optional.

Re: The following people are dumb: idiots on the internet

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Opossums actually haven't evolved to live with the cold and regularly get their toes frostbitten off, but that doesn't deter the intrepid little rat-koalas.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 am

The original Deus Ex is very popular, the first Blade Runner did well enough to have a sequel made, the Ghost in the Shell movies (the anime ones) and the multiple anime series were very popular (which is why Hollywood wanted to make a movie)

Bolded for emphasis. Please send help.

The original Deus Ex is a really good example of a cyberpunk thing that actually got big, but the rest really aren't. For all the love of the aesthetic and geek arguments about unicorns and postmodernist interpretations of Blade Runner itself as a Simulated World blah blah blah, It really wasn't popular at the time. Ghost in the Shell is a huge anime and a huge nothing else. It's no Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon or even fucking Akira. It's largest contribution to western culture is the Matrix, which got washed away in the early 2000s and completely ignored now. If someone asked you about bullet time, a lot of people would say Max Payne invented it.

BR2049 and the new Ghost in the Shell Live action are very much gambles the movie industry made, and they lost on those bets.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 pm

MRAs made an edit of TLJ that removes all the women.

They even took out female animals.

Have these sad, pathetic idiots ever left their house? How do they even function?

If I were to spam them with ecchi anime gifs, would that induce a panic attack? Make them collapse out of fear?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:47 pm

It’s not surprising that some MRAs don’t like women, but I am really baffled by the general overreaction to the green milk scene. Luke spends a couple seconds drinking milk from an alien in an attempt for the movie to establish how he gets sustainence on an island without a grocery store. What’s the big deal?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Australia » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Also, why would Poe be a respected member of the Resistance all of a sudden? I like him and everything but his defining characteristic is that he's a renegade who doesn't think things through. If he can do whatever he wants, often resulting in collateral damage, and gets blindly rewarded and praised for it by the followers, wouldn't that make him the current President of the United States Mary Sue everyone lost their minds about in the last episode?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I am really baffled by the general overreaction to the green milk scene. Luke spends a couple seconds drinking milk from an alien in an attempt for the movie to establish how he gets sustainence on an island without a grocery store. What’s the big deal?

I think what shocked for me was the fact that those things look like boobs, like really a fair bit like boobs, and it felt a bit creepy to see Luke milking it. It made me feel a bit squicky (not after the fact, but in the theatre while I saw it the first time), rather than "oh ho ho, what a card" which I think is what they were intending. There's no real reason to include it, because honestly the island looks pretty fertile and Irish and shit, so I'm not really sat there asking how Luke gets his dinner, I want to know about the Force and the failed Jedi order.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm

This guy works for Marvel.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:This guy works for Marvel.

Not for long he doesn't.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:MRAs made an edit of TLJ that removes all the women.

The site you linked to specifically says "Uploaded to The Pirate Bay yesterday by an anonymous user" and "Whichever weirdo threw this together", hell they even acknowledge "it might just be a troll". So the question I have for them and indeed you Deathclaw Puncher would be, if you don't know who this person or persons are, how do you know they're an MRA?

I mean in spite of Pedestrian admitting they don't know who created this, they still take the time to assure us that Men's Rights Advocates don't dedicate time to addressing depression and suicide rates in men, which is odd given that's a pretty up there topic in amongst MRAs, one of the main ones in fact, so I'm not not expecting much from them on this front. I'm just curious, did I miss anything? Cause I did look up some other articles that covered this who also accused the person or persons who edited the film of being MRAs, but don't actually show any proof or reasoning beyond MRA= misogynist.

But as I say maybe I missed something. Always love to be corrected though.

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:This guy works for Marvel.

I mostly agree with him. I do think Social Justice Warriors are hateful and racist and silence people and they do weaponise their ideology against an entire group of people they blame for all social ills.

I don't think the Nazis were sjws though.

Oh and I'm guessing this is a response to people responding to claims that Marvel has gotten too ess-jay-double-yoo-y lately (which has led to harming sales and alienating customers and whatnot) by suggesting that Marvel heroes are themselves social justice warriors. Leading to many people, and I'm assuming Malin in this case responding with essentially "eh, no they aren't". Am I in the ball park?

Edit:

Yep. Looked it up. He tweeted- "In depth discussion of SJW insertion of identity politics into mainstream comics, the damage done, how to correct it and why modern art and Andy Kaufman suck. The annoying echo ends around the 9:30 mark."

To which someone responded-
"Aren't the X-Men LITERALLY Social Justice Warriors?"

Hence his post that Deathclaw Puncher re-postilated.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:46 am

Those comments are like banner adds now. I just don't see them. Every time "SJW" or "Jew" is in a comment I don't really pay any attention.

I am a little offended he said Andy Kaufman sucks though.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 am

SandTea wrote:Those comments are like banner adds now. I just don't see them. Every time "SJW" or "Jew" is in a comment I don't really pay any attention.

Well come on SandTea, every time someone uses the word 'Jew' in a comment doesn't mean they're using it in a negative fashion. Malin clearly wasn't. Not that's stopping people now calling him a nazi or threatening him online.

Although I kinda agree with the 'sjw' part. It still feels very old hat to me as a term. I prefer to say things like 'regressive' or 'far-left ideologue'.

I am a little offended he said Andy Kaufman sucks though.

Pfffft, he couldn't hold a candle to that Tony Clifton guy.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:35 am

Perhaps I should have said "and" instead of "or", or perhaps I read too many youtube comments.

But fuck that tony clifton guy! (That was the point of the character) He couldn't wrestle half as good as Andy.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:48 am

SandTea wrote:But fuck that tony clifton guy! (That was the point of the character)

"Character"? What do you mean by .... OH. MY. GOD!!!!

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:16 am

SandTea wrote:Those comments are like banner adds now. I just don't see them. Every time "SJW" or "Jew" is in a comment I don't really pay any attention.

My friend, who is a Jew, is offering a hundred bucks to anyone who will take part in a study he's doing for his dissertation.
Not really, I just want to test whether SandTea sees this.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

PreviousNext