Politicians say the darndest things

Polls everywhere, but not a single dancer. Intelligence optional.

Re: Politicians say the darndest things

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Ted Cruz tweeted back in 2014 that "Net neutrality is the Obamacare of the Internet" and I thought that would be the stupidest thing he would ever say about the subject, but he may outdo himself yet. "Snowflake", dear God. This fucker wants to be Donald Trump.

He'll never be Donald Trump; he's more into beating his daughters than fantasizing about fucking them.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:33 am

A truly revolting piece of pro-Trump propaganda: an ad where "ordinary Americans" thank Trump for various things he hasn't done, like "fixing our economy" or "keeping my family safe". In the end, a little girl says: "Thank you President Trump for letting us say Merry Christmas again!"

Yeah, because under Obama, that was banned, as everyone knows. He never said it, so forget about all times he did. And nobody else could say it either. If you remember otherwise, you're wrong.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Former sheriff and conservative favorite David Clarke on Twitter:

When LYING LIB MEDIA makes up FAKE NEWS to smear me, the ANTIDOTE is go right at them. Punch them in the nose & MAKE THEM TASTE THEIR OWN BLOOD. Nothing gets a bully like LYING LIB MEDIA’S attention better than to give them a taste of their own blood.

His tweet also featured a picture of wrestlers, one Trump's face holding a man with CNN's logo who was getting kicked in the face by Clarke. When Trump retweeted a similar gif, there was a debate whether that counted as an endorsement of violence against journalists. I believe there is no argument here.

(Twitter suspended Clarke's account until he deleted the tweet.)

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:00 pm

The Man quoted? Missouri GOP Senate Candidate Courtland Sykes.

The incels are running for office now.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:16 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:
Spoiler: show

The Man quoted? Missouri GOP Senate Candidate Courtland Sykes.

The incels are running for office now.

In the piece you link it mentions he has a girlfriend, so he's hardly an incel. Now I'm not sure if that's a defense of him or of incels, but either way the objection to the misrepresentation stands ... I guess.

Also, that piece even questions whether any of this is even real:

The Riverfront Times questions whether Sykes' campaign isn't a parody:

Sykes' background is largely a mystery. The Kansas City Star reports that he claims to have served in the Navy for more than eight years, enlisting after the terror attacks on September 11, 2001. His LinkedIn page says he later attended Harvard University’s Extension School after that, earning a degree in 2014. That page also had listed him as a graduate student at the University of London, but when the Star questioned him about that, he said he had to put those studies on hold to focus on his campaign. The LinkedIn page was edited to remove the college shortly after.

He is listed as the managing director for a military consulting firm named Talosorion — but he tells the Star that the firm currently has no clients.

Even Arkansas seems flummoxed. The Arkansas Times notes the "fudge factors" on his resume, and even goes so far as to ask its readers if anyone knows who the guy is. "Any Arkies out there know the candidate?" they write. "He is a former resident of Hot Springs, various Internet accounts indicate."

I just don't know anymore.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm pretty sure it's just a colloquial for "sexist prick" nowadays having undergone semantic shift, or at least I've seen it used that way.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Well, given the terms I've seen being used as stand-ins for 'sexist pricks', when such a misrepresentation is hardly fair, it's an attitude I'm compelled to rile against. Know what I'm sayin' Death Claw Puncher'?

And at the end of the day 'incel' means 'Involuntarily Celibate'. I don't know about anybody else, but I aint ready to just abandon language to whims of 'anything means whatever I want it to mean whenever I want it to mean it' just yet. And at this point I don't think many people are going to explain to anyone who asks what incel means, that an 'incel' is just a generic term for 'sexist prick'.

I mean words change their meaning over time all the time, but that's a natural evolving process or a response to a specific desire for change. This on the other hands is just using dispariging terms whether they fit or not (while maintaining the specific punch of the original term).

Or at least that's where I stand. Quite confidently at that.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:01 am

Still upset that "silly" no longer means "blessed", eh?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Republican Kansas State Representative Steve Alford on why marijuana was outlawed:

"Basically any way you say it, marijuana is an entry drug into the higher drugs. What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas and across the United States. What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African-Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that.”

Alford later apologized, and said that he only made racist comments because he was high at the time. No, I'm kidding. But the rest is true.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Republican Kansas State Representative Steve Alford on why marijuana was outlawed:

"Basically any way you say it, marijuana is an entry drug into the higher drugs. What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas and across the United States. What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African-Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that.”

Alford later apologized, and said that he only made racist comments because he was high at the time. No, I'm kidding. But the rest is true.

Racism aside, that makes no sense because it's pretty well documented that people in jail for minor drug offenses often get into hard drugs in jail to avoid being detected. Marijuana sticks around your system for ages, heroin is out in two days.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:33 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:I'm pretty sure it's just a colloquial for "sexist prick" nowadays having undergone semantic shift, or at least I've seen it used that way.

People may use it that way, but you're the only one I've seen do that. Now I use "red piller" to mean "sexist prick," but as Kate pointed out, that's not entirely accurate either.

Still, incels believe that all their problems in life amount to them not getting laid and their sexism tends to be an exercise in projection. To hear incels talk, women barely qualify as human and do all their thinking with their reproductive organs.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Still upset that "silly" no longer means "blessed", eh?

Nah, I've made my peace with that and I wish the word 'silly' all the best in it's future endevours. But see that is a case of a word naturally changing over time. Whereas what you were doing was more akin, to my mind, of something like this:

-Were you hanging around with Kevin last night?
-Yeah, why, what's wrong with Kevin?
-He's a total paedophile!
-Wow, what are you saying, that he wants to fuck kids? That's some accusation to make.
-No, I just mean he's a jerk.
-That's not what the word means though.
-Yeah, well that's what me and my friends mean when we say it. We just use it to mean jerk.
-But you know that most people don't though. And you know when they hear you say it they're going to assume you're using it for what it actually means. Which is exactly what I think you're trying to do.
-Yeah ... but words do change over time naturally though.
- Yeah but that's not what you're doing. This isn't a case of a word's meaning changing organically in a culture, it's just making a false accusation, and pretending that's not what you're doing.
-You're being a real necrophiliac about this bro ... you see when me and my friends say 'necrophiliac', we actually mean ...
-Yeah, I get what you're doing. And I'm calling BS on it speciffically.

I mean you specifically said "The incels are running for office now" in regards to him. If you're now telling me 'The incels' was just a reference to 'sexist pricks' in general, like fundamentalist Muslims, misandrist third wave feminists, backwoods hillbillys who think their wives should be kept barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen etc. are all in the same group, and saying 'The incels' wasn't a reference to incels specifically, of which you have written extensively on in this forum, in fact most of what I know of them, I learned from you, in order to make out he was one of them, if that's what you're saying now, as though 'incels' isn't a reference to people who are involuntarily celibate due and at times psychotically bitter about it ... well then I aint buying what you're selling mo chara.

Particularly as you said these incels are running for office NOW. Like this is hardly the first time a sexist prick has run for office, so again, I think you’re referring to the very specific group that you actually said.

You see this whole thing of calling people by inflammatory terms that don't fit, in order presumably, to tie the person being insulted to the specific negative connotation of what the inflammatory term actually means is something I feel obliged to speak out against, and all who engage in it.

It's eh ... how would one put it, a concern of mine.

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 am

I am a bit of a stickler for definitions but I think that is exactly how words change over time. It's not an overnight, we all come to an agreement, thing. I'm not a fan of plenty of words being used figuratively wrong but I can't stop them from having other connotations.

Instead of "incel", might I suggest "gamergater"? That one, to me, has a more broad renown in the "sexist pig" assumptions among the non-internety. It could gain some traction.

I'll probably just stick with "asshole" though. It's like my favorite (and most edited out) word.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

This just in. Jesse Watters only has one bed in his five bedroom mansion.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext