Politicians say the darndest things

Polls everywhere, but not a single dancer. Intelligence optional.

Re: Politicians say the darndest things

Postby Australia » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Representative Paul Gosar (R-Arizona) at the hearing of Peter Strzok: “I’m a dentist, OK. So I read body language very, very well.”

I... really don't see the connection.

Well, if 90s ads are to be believed, we can't see dentists' faces on television and I imagine that's a two-way street, thus he'd spend a lot of time watching bodies. And that's the tooth.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Is Linda Sarsour a politician? Well, she is a political figure at least, so I think she counts.

I mean, technically she is correct. Women in Iran have the right not to wear the hijab. They just lack the right not to be arrested, beaten, and sexually assaulted by the police for going bareheaded.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Australia wrote:
Aquila89 wrote:Representative Paul Gosar (R-Arizona) at the hearing of Peter Strzok: “I’m a dentist, OK. So I read body language very, very well.”

I... really don't see the connection.

Well, if 90s ads are to be believed, we can't see dentists' faces on television and I imagine that's a two-way street, thus he'd spend a lot of time watching bodies. And that's the tooth.

It's because, in the '90's, dentists had no jaws. They looked so horrific that they had to wear masks or else be immediately shunned by us normies.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 pm

I know Elon Musk isn't a politician, but I can't think of a better thread for posting about a business leader saying the darndest things:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44846945
Vern Unsworth is a cave expert and diver who was heavily involved in the rescue of those boys stuck in the cave in Thailand. BBC's paragraph on why Unsworth was important (note, this quote isn't meant to be stupid, I want to make it clear how important Unsworth was to the rescue):
Thailand-based Mr Unsworth's knowledge of the cave complex is said to have played a key role in the rescue effort. He travelled into the caves in the first days after the boys went missing and helped bring in top international cave rescue experts for the mission.

Elon Musk's "contribution" to the rescue was to bring out a mini-sub that the Thai authorities said was inappropriate to the mission, and which Unsworth has publicly criticised, saying it had "absolutely no chance of working".
Musk's response: firstly to claim that Narongsak Osotthanakorn, the official in charge of the rescue who decided the mini-sub wasn't workable, had been inaccurately described by media as being in charge of the rescue (although it's a matter of record that he was), but then, far more egregiously, to accuse Vern Unsworth, with no evidence, of being a paedophile.
When challenged on this, his only response was "Bet ya a signed dollar it's true". The tweets have since been deleted. Awful behaviour, and it seems very much like he was just having a tantrum because he wasn't able to use an actual rescue operation to be a PR stunt for himself.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:48 pm

Ron DeSantis is a Republican congressman from Florida who is running for governor this year. He just released this ad. It's entirely about how much he loves Trump. To make matters worse, it also includes his very young children. It shows him instructing his toddler daughter to "build the wall" out of building blocks and how to say "Make America Great Again," as well as him reading The Art of the Deal to his 4-month-old son. It might just be the most revolting political ad I've ever seen.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm

Corey Stewart, Republican nominee for Senate in Virginia, in 2017:

When you say you're from Virginia, when you travel outside of this state and somebody asks where you're from, you say with pride, 'I am from Virginia. I'm very, very proud of it. You're very, very proud of it. And why is it? It's because of our history, folks. It's because of our history. This is the state of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison and James Monroe. It's a state of the founders. It's the state of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

But it's also the state of Robert E. Lee, and Stonewall Jackson, and J.E.B. Stuart. Because, at the base of it, Virginians, we think for ourselves,. And if the established order is wrong, we rebel. We did that in the Revolution, we did it in the Civil War, and we're doing it today. We're doing it today because they're trying to rob us of everything that we hold dear: our history, our heritage, our culture.

You either praise Virginia as the state of the Constitution, or praise Virginia's secession, where it was declared that the Constitution no longer applies in Virginia. But you can't do both.

(Side note: Corey Stewart isn't from Virginia, he was born and raised to Minnesota and went to Georgetown University).

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby RatElemental » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 pm

I think there actually isn't a contradiction there. It's just taking pride in being the state of rebels, because the founding of america and the secession from it were both rebellions.

I think the bigger issue is taking pride in being part of a rebellion that was mostly an attempt to keep slavery legal.

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:10 pm

random_nerd wrote:I think the bigger issue is taking pride in being part of a rebellion that was mostly an attempt to keep slavery legal.

Don't be silly, nerd.

It was about states' rights.*

*States' rights to keep slavery legal and to stop people from saying slavery should not be legal and to require other states to return their runaway slaves.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:09 pm

But according to Giuliani, truth isn't truth, so what is hate speech?

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:13 pm

By the way, Giuliani's comments remind me of Lionel Hutz.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:41 pm

NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch on NRATV:

They [the Democrats] are trying to Al Capone the president. I mean, you remember. Capone didn’t go down for murder. Elliot Ness didn’t put him in for murder. He went in for tax fraud. Prosecutors didn’t care how he went down as long as he went down. The same goes for Democrats. Whatever avenue is needed to bring down the president, they’ll take it.

Perhaps not the best analogy...

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Eric Trump on Fox and Friends, talking about Woodward's book:

You can write some sensational nonsense book, CNN will definitely have you on because they love trash the president, it’ll mean you sell 3 extra books, you’ll make 3 extra shekels at the behest of the American people, at the behest of our country and a president doing a phenomenal job...

Shekels? Is he deliberately using alt-right slang? Why else would he say shekels and not dollars?

Also, "at the behest" of someone means on their orders, doesn't it?

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Isn't shekel a jewism? Like a anti-semitic jewism?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:04 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Isn't shekel a jewism? Like a anti-semitic jewism?

According to the internet, nope (or at least not necessarily). It’s 28 US cents at the time of this post.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

PreviousNext