Politicians say the darndest things

Polls everywhere, but not a single dancer. Intelligence optional.

Re: Politicians say the darndest things

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:28 pm

True, but she did work in the Clinton White House. She was Special Counsel to Andrew Cuomo when he was Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

So that was amusing: Ted Crockett, a Roy Moore spokesman and former Shelby County Commissoner went on CNN to defend Moore's positions. Jake Tapper asked him why does Moore think that Muslims should not be allowed to serve in Congress.

Crockett: Because you have to sweat on the Bible. When you are before -- I had to do it, I'm an elected official three terms. You have to swear on a Bible to be an elected official in the United States of America. He alleges that a Muslim cannot do that, ethically, swearing on the Bible.

Tapper: You don't have to actually swear on a Christian Bible. You can swear on anything, really. I don't know if you knew that. You can swear on a Jewish Bible...

Crockett: Oh no, I swore on the Bible, I done it three times.

Tapper: I'm sure you have, I'm sure you picked a Bible, but the law is not that you have to swear on a Christian bible. That is not the law.

Crockett: (slack-jawed silence)

Tapper: You don't know that?

Crockett: (slack-jawed silence)

Tapper: All right, Ted Crockett...

Crockett: I don't know - I know that Donald Trump did it when he - when we made him president.

Tapper: Because he's Christian and he picked it.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm going to swear on the book "Chaos" when I become God-Emperor of the world.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I'm going to swear on the book "Chaos" when I become God-Emperor of the world.

Well you know the Emperor did make a pact with the Chaos Gods to create the Primarchs and stuff...so maybe that's not so... BLAM

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 am

The funny thing about swearing on the Bible is that that particular book actually forbids swearing on or by anything.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Grimstone » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am

Some parts seem to recognize making oaths/swearing to god while other parts seem to warn against it("let your yes be a yes and your no be a no".) https://www.openbible.info/topics/oaths

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:42 pm

The parts from the Old Testament that recognize taking oaths are irrelevant, because the New Testament overrides those. Jesus was talking about those in Matthew 5:33-34: "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn." That could refer to a passage like Numbers 30:2: "If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word." But Jesus goes on to say: " But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black."

I mean, to me, this is as unambiguous as it gets. Do not take an oath at all. On anything. Ever.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:53 am

I might have the wrong copy:

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:51 am

Aquila89 wrote:The parts from the Old Testament that recognize taking oaths are irrelevant, because the New Testament overrides those. Jesus was talking about those in Matthew 5:33-34: "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn." That could refer to a passage like Numbers 30:2: "If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word." But Jesus goes on to say: " But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black."

I mean, to me, this is as unambiguous as it gets. Do not take an oath at all. On anything. Ever.

Exactly, basically speaking our word is our bond. If we say we would do something we do it, none of this swearing on something.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am

Trump Jr. gives his opinion on net neutrality on Twitter:

I would pay good money to see all those people complaining about Obama’s FCC chairman voting to repeal #NetNeutality actually explain it in detail. I’d also bet most hadn’t heard of it before this week. #outrage

1. Obama appointed Pai to the FCC (because the Republicans got to pick two members and they recommended him) but Trump made him chairman.

2. It's spelled "net neutrality".

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am

DoglovingJim wrote:
Aquila89 wrote:The parts from the Old Testament that recognize taking oaths are irrelevant, because the New Testament overrides those. Jesus was talking about those in Matthew 5:33-34: "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn." That could refer to a passage like Numbers 30:2: "If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word." But Jesus goes on to say: " But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black."

Exactly, basically speaking our word is our bond. If we say we would do something we do it, none of this swearing on something.

To me, it's less of "Never swear on anything ever", and more "it shouldn't take an oath or swearing on something to make you honest." If I ever swear on something, it would be for the other party's benefit, not an incentive to me to hold to my word; for example, if I were testifying in court, I would do the swearing in thing to show the judge/jury that I am willing to face perjury as a consequence of lying on the stand, because they don't know me, they don't know my moral code wouldn't allow it to start with.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:57 am

But you don't have to swear on the Bible to show that you are willing to face perjury. Quakers, who take this passage literally, get an exemption from that; instead of taking an oath, they affirm that they'll tell the truth. And if they lie, they'll be punished just the same.

But we're derailing the thread, aren't we?

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 am

I checked his twitter, this Bill Mitchell guy is nuts.

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:19 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:11 am

Net neutrality was the norm for most of the internet's history. When the courts eviscerated it they left an option for the government to follow to restore it, which the Obama Administration implemented.

Incidentally, I also want to post about Cruz and net neutrality. He's apparently involved in a feud with Mark Hamill which he's pursuing by quoting Star Wars at him.

Legally speaking you're an adult, Ted. Maybe try to use your own words?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Ted Cruz tweeted back in 2014 that "Net neutrality is the Obamacare of the Internet" and I thought that would be the stupidest thing he would ever say about the subject, but he may outdo himself yet. "Snowflake", dear God. This fucker wants to be Donald Trump.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext