Relationships and Attractiveness

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

How much do you care for looks?

I don't mind how my partner looks at all.
3%
A little bit, but I'm willing to overlook if he/she is cool enough.
19%
Not much, but wouldn't date someone whose's looks I don't appreciate at all.
49%
Quite a bit. He/she doesn't have to be a Hollywood star, but I require some attractiveness.
18%
I care a lot about looks, but I'd ditch someone gorgeous, but annoying for a cool and just pretty one.
10%
Looks are really important to me, even more than other features.
1%

Total votes : 73

Re: Relationships and Attractiveness

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:14 am

Traditionally, all people wore skirts/dresses. Pants are harder to manufacture. Pants only became a thing when horse riding became super common. Skirts only remained a thing in Scotland because Scotland was relatively uncivilized, with a bunch of hills instead of cities and stuff.

Speaking of men not making the right fashion choices, more men should have long hair.
Spoiler: show
Taylor-Kitsch-taylor-kitsch-23298054-416-625.jpg
Taylor-Kitsch-taylor-kitsch-23298054-416-625.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 4898 times

20130323-trentreznor-tickets-thumb-624x420-1364155191.jpg
20130323-trentreznor-tickets-thumb-624x420-1364155191.jpg (86.7 KiB) Viewed 4898 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Learned Nand » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:17 am

Tesseracts wrote:Speaking of men not making the right fashion choices, more men should have long hair.

I am nothing if not a trendsetter.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 am

Tesseracts wrote:Traditionally, all people wore skirts/dresses. Pants are harder to manufacture. Pants only became a thing when horse riding became super common. Skirts only remained a thing in Scotland because Scotland was relatively uncivilized, with a bunch of hills instead of cities and stuff.

Yeah, I basically knew that (though not the harder-to-manufacture part; I thought the issue was that crotches wore out too quickly in an age when things were built to last). I think I read it in a Cracked article.

Tesseracts wrote:Speaking of men not making the right fashion choices, more men should have long hair.

I used to have long hair. I have longish hair now because I haven't hat it cut since August.

The problem is that when my hair gets long, I put little braids in it. Watching me do that makes my mother and brother very uncomfortable for some reason. Presumably it makes many other people uncomfortable too, they just don't tell me. Plus the braids make it look like I have bald spots or mange or something. If I were less fidgety, having long hair would be fine.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:39 am

Pfffft, hippy-enabler!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:59 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:02 am

ghijkmnop wrote:

I definitely works for some, but can you imagine Jason Statham or Vin Diesel with flowing locks?

Or Colin Mochrie?

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:08 am

I used to have a long beard, so I kept my hair quite long to balance it out. I'm still not entirely sure how that line of thought worked.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Bromo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:55 am

I am a homosexual male.

Although it seems unfair to judge potential mates on their looks when I myself, with my average looks and bland personality, am not so attractive. However, looks are only 40% important to me. The other 60% depends on if the guy has a complementary personality and and isn't a narcissistic douche bag. Being tall, tan, hung, and sexy are butt the frosting on the cock; an extra boner.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby skooma » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:54 am

CarrieVS wrote:I don't suppose it will surprise anyone to learn that your local faceblind asexual picked option one. I'd be interested to learn who else did, if they wanted to say.

That would be me, and I'm fascinated that what took me decades of intense study and vastly improved perspective comes naturally to anyone your age. Aside from the intelligent sparkle and other ineffable things; seriously, I'd love to try both faceblind and asexual for long enough to really understand the difference they make, both separately and together. Can't help thinking those are things that should be high on the list for everyone to try for a couple years or more. Basic social psych recommends really understanding and feeling other perspectives as more effective than just about anything else we could all benefit from, and I really hope it doesn't offend that I'd guess these two attributes would likely be among the most powerful for us all to broaden our views.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:04 pm

skooma wrote:I'd love to try both faceblind and asexual for long enough to really understand the difference they make, both separately and together. Can't help thinking those are things that should be high on the list for everyone to try for a couple years or more.

I wish more people understood faceblindness, but it's not something I'd wish on anyone. As disabilities go, it's pretty livable-with, but it's had a lot of knock-on effects - though many of those I think are largely a consequence of growing up without knowing I had a medical problem, and didn't just suck at life.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:54 pm

I am afraid I might be a little shallow, but I would refuse a relationship with someone I don't feel a strong physical attraction for.

If I am to commit myself to someone, I don't want to feel any kind of regret or temptation, feel like something is missing out. Just as I wouldn't date a gorgeous moron, I don't think it would work out with a plain looking genius.

I would like to have all my needs satiated by my partner, physical, emotional, and intellectual, so I won't feel frustration, and have an easier time not feeling tempted to cheat, assuring a more harmonious and pleasant relationship to both of us. By the same coin, I hope I can also satiate all the needs of my partner, and I would not spare efforts onto that.

Of course, in the state I am right now, I think it is the best for everyone involved for me to just stay alone.

PS: As the girls I tend to interact with generally have a cripplingly low self esteem, including my ex girlfriend, they don't see themselves as beautiful. However, my opinion very frequently differs. So either all the gorgeous girls have very low self esteem, or I just have unusual beauty standards. So while it is important to me to have a very strong physical attraction to that person, she doesn't really need to be conventionally beautiful I guess.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby mancityfooty » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:05 am

Not much, but wouldn't date someone whose's looks I don't appreciate at all.

Straight male.

I had something written out, but I apparently deleted it somehow.
But it doesn't really matter since it wasn't good anyway.
I think somewhere along the line I started some kind of slash fic involving me and...no, nevermind.

Anyway, I know it was said before. I just want to second the idea that the more attractive a person thinks they are, the more work they spend trying to keep that up. I absolutely prefer no make up, casual clothing, and someone you can hang out with in a bar.

This is actually not turning out any better than last time.
Nevermind.
Good night.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby A Warrior Bunny » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:12 pm

I identify as a shitlordcishet male. Voted "not much."
I'm not entirely sure how to add more to the conversation than that, so I won't! *makes random noises*

!!! THIS POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY BITTERNESS, DEPRESSION, AND ACUTE INTERNET EXPOSURE !!!
A Warrior Bunny
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: He Who Smirks

Postby Revolving Royal » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:47 am

Straight Female here.
I would assume that most people find their significant other more attractive the more they fall in love, but there usually is an initial attraction. This is my philosophy, I like men that are unconventionally handsome just as well as the regular standard good looks and I don't think I'm too shallow, but I need something more than looks that makes you stand out to me: attitude, humor, fashion sense, or intelligence before I date you.

And, as always, nothing kills interest in a man faster than him being a jackass. I don't care if you literally descended from heaven as God's most perfect physical creation, you're still a jackass.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby Knicholas » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Straight male. Picked option three (which I actually think should be second from the top).

It matters for physical attraction. it is only a small portion of attractiveness as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have someone who is pleasant, fun, and kind than pretty.

Knicholas
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext