Relationships and Attractiveness

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

How much do you care for looks?

I don't mind how my partner looks at all.
3%
A little bit, but I'm willing to overlook if he/she is cool enough.
19%
Not much, but wouldn't date someone whose's looks I don't appreciate at all.
49%
Quite a bit. He/she doesn't have to be a Hollywood star, but I require some attractiveness.
18%
I care a lot about looks, but I'd ditch someone gorgeous, but annoying for a cool and just pretty one.
10%
Looks are really important to me, even more than other features.
1%

Total votes : 73

Re: Relationships and Attractiveness

Postby LaChaise » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:51 pm

I tend not to really care about looks. I wasn't physically attracted to my ex when we started dating, but my tastes ended up adapting because she is awesome in every single other way and now I love people who look like her.

Plus, I find most women attractive.

On the other hand, I'm very picky with dudes. I don't find that many dudes attractive, even though I'm bi. That said, this is certainly just because I tend to dislike manly traits in general. (by the way, Glasgow is a baffling place: this is the first time I go anywhere and see more attractive men than women. Glasgow is like 80+% hunks!)

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:20 pm

It does matter but not to a huge degree for me. Before we started dating I found my boyfriend to be on the lower-to-mid average scale in the looks department, but I was attracted to his other qualities and then, because of that, he started looking more attractive to me physically. I also didn't find my first boyfriend to be a catch in the looks department either, I'd actually call him ugly.

There are a few people I've seen that sadly look rather repulsive to me and I'm not sure I could move past that, but it doesn't matter if they aren't hot or are below average as long as they have other qualities I am attracted to. That will generally make them more attractive to me

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:16 pm

I think Richie and Eddie say it best on the qualities one requires from a perspective mate:

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby cmsellers » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:28 pm

LaChaise wrote:On the other hand, I'm very picky with dudes. I don't find that many dudes attractive, even though I'm bi. That said, this is certainly just because I tend to dislike manly traits in general. (by the way, Glasgow is a baffling place: this is the first time I go anywhere and see more attractive men than women. Glasgow is like 80+% hunks!)

Are you sure you don't just like looking at men in skirts?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby LaChaise » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:33 pm

cmsellers wrote:
LaChaise wrote:On the other hand, I'm very picky with dudes. I don't find that many dudes attractive, even though I'm bi. That said, this is certainly just because I tend to dislike manly traits in general. (by the way, Glasgow is a baffling place: this is the first time I go anywhere and see more attractive men than women. Glasgow is like 80+% hunks!)

Are you sure you don't just like looking at men in skirts?

That's Edinburgh, not so many beskirted hunks in Glasgow.

I do love skirts and dresses, whatever the sex of the wearer is though. Seriously, one of my biggest gripes with society is that women can wear pants, but men can't wear dresses/skirts without passing as freaks.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby cmsellers » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Most of what I know about Glaswegians I learned from Groundskeeper Willie and Missy on Doctor Who. So I naturally assumed that Glaswegian accents and pants go together about as well as Daleks and Scotsmen.

LaChaise wrote:I do love skirts and dresses, whatever the sex of the wearer is though. Seriously, one of my biggest gripes with society is that women can wear pants, but men can't wear dresses/skirts without passing as freaks.

I once contacted a woman though OKCupid who said she like dancing, and asked if she did contra dancing. She said she was opposed because men in skirts are gross. The way she phrased it she was clearly serious. I was floored, and didn't attempt to contact her further. (Sadly though, she was one of only three women who responded to me out of the dozens I contacted through that site.)

The good news is that even if skirts on men are still a no-no, kilts are increasingly acceptable in some areas. Where I come from a fair number of men wore Utilikilts (leather kilts with pockets) and nobody seemed to bat an eye. I haven't seen any kilt wearers in Austin though. In some ways, it's a much more conservative (in a cultural sense) city than I had expected. Of course the Pioneer Valley (together with Vermont) is likely the crunchiest, granolaest area east of the Cascades, so any place that isn't Portland is likely to seem tightlaced by comparison.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:15 pm

cmsellers wrote:
kilts are increasingly acceptable in some areas.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:55 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:56 pm

I've seen some sexy men in kilts. I've also seen some sexy men in skirts.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 pm

Yeah, I don't know what the big deal with men in skirts is, I think it's totally fine. What's the prob-

article-2275717-176F1831000005DC-296_634x797.jpg
article-2275717-176F1831000005DC-296_634x797.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 5229 times

OH GOD MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT GO AWAY.

Fun fact: I opened private browsing before searching "Kanye West skirt." I don't even know why. I guess I don't want targeted ads from Google about Kanye West skirts or whatever.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:22 pm

<Redacted>

ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:23 pm

I don't think I'd like a man in skirts.

Unless said man is Chaise, of course.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:26 pm

<Redacted>

ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:52 pm

@Recluse: That is a horrifying image, even for a venomous spiderman. Why on Earth wouldn't you spoiler that?
But kilts are traditionally made of very heavy cloth, and I think there's other reasons they won't blow up as well, but don't feel like googling it.

ShuaiGuy wrote:I hate men in kilts. I think I'd be far more ok with men in skirts than kilts. Kilts just seem like a "Hey, look at me! I'm so edgy and different! ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION YET?!". At least if I see a guy in a skirt I'd assume he's wearing it more for him in that case.

Honestly, I think it's weird that traditionally men in Western societies wore pants and women wore skirts. If you were an alien putting clothes on these strange-looking creatures, you might think it's the other way around, based on the anatomy in the groinal region.

I don't wear kilts yet, but I've always thought it would be neat to try it. One problem is price. Another problem is that you're supposed to go commando in kilts, and that would feel like public nudity to me. Of course if fashion conventions haven't kept me from wearing socks with sandals, they probably wouldn't stop me from wearing underwear with a kilt.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:02 am

ShuaiGuy wrote:
Paradox wrote:I don't think I'd like a man in skirts.

Unless said man is
Chaise, of course.

FTFY

Think I want a Chaise? Bitch, I want a Chaise with no second thoughts.

Anyway, I think, just as with all out of the ordinary looks, it depends on the capacity of the wearer to pull it off. Some people can look sexy as hell with things I usually don't like, eh.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

PreviousNext